Guest laws

Driving licence

Guest laws

Hi, does anyone know what happens with uk driving licence when we get to australia, do we have to have another test? Or do we just get australian 1 issued??? If anyone can help it'd be most appreciated, thanks!

Christine

Take your UK licence, some other photo ID and some proof of address ie bank statement (I got bank to write me aletter of confirmation). Then go to your local service SA centre located in any of your friendly malls and get your picture taken, pay a small sum of money ranging up to 300 odd bucks for a 10 year licence and bob's your uncle. Then place UK licence in a draw at home with the rest of the clap trap.

:notworthy:

Guest laws
    Take your UK licence, some other photo ID and some proof of address ie bank statement (I got bank to write me aletter of confirmation). Then go to your local service SA centre located in any of your friendly malls and get your picture taken, pay a small sum of money ranging up to 300 odd bucks for a 10 year licence and bob's your uncle. Then place UK licence in a draw at home with the rest of the clap trap.

:notworthy:

Hi, thank you for that!!

Christine

Guest steph&neil
    Hi, does anyone know what happens with uk driving licence when we get to australia, do we have to have another test? Or do we just get australian 1 issued??? If anyone can help it'd be most appreciated, thanks!

Christine

Hi Christine just thought I would add to this post as getting an australian licence depends on the type of visa you are coming out on - if it is PR visa you have 3 months to get a new licence & you will get your licence back, have heard some other saying that theirs was taken or punched a hole in - they dont do this to UK licences & are worth holding onto if you go back to the Uk (hiring or being added onto with insurance will be cheaper with UK licence) but note that your Uk licence is only valid for 10 years & you must have a uk address for DVLA to post it to.

If like us you are on a temp visa you are under NO obligation to have an Australian licence,(its up to you - you are entitled but dont have to) but you must carry your UK licence at all times when driving (a fine can apply), we are in the process of doing out PR & will get them once we have PR.

I hope this helps. Also worth knowing is that when you buy a car you will pay stamp duty on the purchase price (something we didnt know before we came & we hammered at the rego desk! with hindsight would have taken both our cars with us as they are over priced for old cars here & there is no MOT equivelant sound good in theory but it is one thing we dont like - as a lot of cars just dont look safe),

Steph

Guest laws

Hi steph

Thank u for that info thats great, we thought we'd have to have another test. We are on PR visa hoping to go to gawler area. we cant wait.lol!

Christine

Guest cornish Busdriver

Hiya Christine.

I would just also like to point out that you can only exchange car and motorbike licence.

Truck and bus licences are not valid here and test have to be re-sat