Guest Shmaggle

hello, new to forum, thinking of moving...

Guest Shmaggle

...to Adelaide! Am hoping I am not too old at 42...!! Almost finished my career change (was in IT, now doing nursing) and will qualify in August as a nurse. Is it true that there are lots of jobs? As the NHS is being reorganised and in dire straits at the mo. Hubby being made redundant (he is a scientist), going to retrain as science teacher, applying for PGCE. Kids 9 and 6....so not too near major exams yet.

Any advice most welcome. And this forum is great!

Coming to stay with friends in Adelaide in August for 3 weeks to check it out, they moved last year, love it! Say it's very laid back, the schools are excellent, the people friendly...

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Ask away with any questions that occur to you - and make use of the Search feature on the site too - it's pretty good!

My kids were similar ages to yours when we moved over (9 and 7) and it's a good age to move them - gives them time to settle in at primary and gives you time to think about high schools etc for them.

It's great you have friends here already, will give you that vital 'security blanket' when you first arrive and on your reccie.

August will be a little cool here, but probably a good time to look at the place without rose coloured glasses on!

Diane

Not sure about nursing jobs but if your hubby was a Biomedical Scientist jobs are few and far between and retraining as a teacher will probably offer more options. I was lucky and secured a job before moving but that was after 2 years of looking. Seek.com is the best place to trawl for jobs. Happy hunting!

Guest Steph&Lee

hi,

i too am a nurse. if you are going state sponsored or permanent visa the you will need 2 years experience first. if you go employer sponsored then i dont know if you still need experience. you will have to sit the IELTS academic test too.

hope this helps

steph x