Primary Teacher registration

Guest pixie7

Guest Nick11

In the paper jobs for physics and chemistry teachers seem to crop up quite regulary.

I thought in th uk secondary teachers had a second subject to teach. Not sure..ask cooler he will know.

Guest Nick11
Cheers! Well he teaches Physics, Chemistry and Biology so I guess he teaches 3 subjects ;)

eeek, eek, eek! So much to think about. :)

I'm sure he will be fine with those subjects.

It's primary that is overloaded with teachers :arghh:..why on earth sa has them on their sponsership list is beyond me!!!! I think they must be looking to the future..say 10 years time..but what happens to those teachers in between is anyones guess:notworthy:

• 1 month later...
Guest Anouk

Hi All,

Reading this thread has me feeling somewhat uneasy about the prospect of finding permanent teaching work in SA.

I'm thinking of flying out in advance of permanent arrival to sit the Mandatory Notification Training etc. so I can be pretty much ready to teach when we do settle there.

Are primary jobs really so difficult to find? Even for experienced/excellent candidates?

Originally, we applied to NT for SS when they declared their SMP (earlier than SA). We received a really speedy offer of SS from NT, which we've just let lapse now we've been offered SS from SA. NT schools that I emailed my CV and references etc. to responded so positively. Even had two schools say they wanted to offer me a job and when I pointed out I was still in process of applying for SS etc. asked me to keep in touch. Must admit, contact with SA schools has been positive on the whole, but not as effusive as 'the top end'.

Surely there must be some vacancies, otherwise why are PS teachers on the SMP list in first place - surely not to fill TRT work? Impossible, she declares ...hopefully.

Ah well, more to chew on...

Anouk

IELTS: Jan 2011 (straight 9s!)

SS from SA: applied Feb 2011

SS paperwork received in SA: Mar 2011

SS approved by SA: Apr 2011

Lodged with DIAC end Apr 2011

Awaiting caseworker .... but only want to migrate - at earliest - August 2012.

Hi Nick11, do you know if secondary science are plentiful too? When I look online at jobs a lot of schools seem to want science and something else - uncommon here. Thanks :) x

I missed this post, sorry.

From my limited experience here, I would say that it is more common that you teach more than one subject. I am currently teaching maths, Science and ICT. The maths and ICT are no problem and the science is only middle school so that is fine. The key is to be flexible.

Cooler

What we can't get over is how 'Christian' you need to be to apply for a job as a teacher when we read the job adverts in the paper - are these just the private schools? They go to great lengths to tell you how you must be committed to Jesus and being a Christian, being a good teacher seems almost unimportant!!! A lady I work with was once told on the quiet by a friend she knew at the school that the reason she did not get a teaching job was because she did not appear Christian enough in the interview. I have not noticed after 4 years of living here that people are particularly religious, so not sure why so much emphasis seems to be placed on being a devoted Christian above being able to do the job.

I have not noticed after 4 years of living here that people are particularly religious...

You'd be amazed! People aren't 'in your face' about their religion here (well, no-one's tried to convert me yet!), but scratch the surface a little and, as I say, you'd be amazed! Perhaps it's just because the Australians I have met have felt the need for some divine help to put up with me though....!!;)

• 4 months later...

Hi Pixie,

I have just arrived in Adelaide 8 weeks ago, I am a secondary school teacher, and they are making me go through the whole skills assessment processs agiain even though I did it all to get my VISA. You will also have to do a first aid course and a mandatory notification course (child protection) when you arrive. Make sure you also have an in date criminal history check. Be prepared for this to take a while, mine is.

Go to the Teachers Registration Board of SA website and the DECS (department of education and childrens services) website. They have all of the information that you need. DECS also has the Register an Interest for teaching in SA if you want to teach in their public schools (ie state education)

hope this helps Pixie and good luck with the VISA process

Sheila

Guest Adelaide_bound
Hi Pixie,

I have just arrived in Adelaide 8 weeks ago, I am a secondary school teacher, and they are making me go through the whole skills assessment processs agiain even though I did it all to get my VISA. You will also have to do a first aid course and a mandatory notification course (child protection) when you arrive. Make sure you also have an in date criminal history check. Be prepared for this to take a while, mine is.

Go to the Teachers Registration Board of SA website and the DECS (department of education and childrens services) website. They have all of the information that you need. DECS also has the Register an Interest for teaching in SA if you want to teach in their public schools (ie state education)

hope this helps Pixie and good luck with the VISA process

Sheila

Hi Sheila, was wondering if you could answer a couple of questions possibly please?

1) Where can you do your Mandatory training now, as I've been in contact with ERC (whom have been named on this thread for it, and on other threads I've read) but they say they are no longer certified for DECS training - I can still do the training with them, but it will only be valid for Catholic and Private schools and not DECS?

2)Do you know how long the ACRO Police check is valid for (from the UK)?

3) Is the registration fee payable each year? (The $300ish)

4) Do you have to go through this whole thing each year if you are an OTT, or just the once and every year after that just pay the re-registration fee?

Many thanks in what you can answer - I've looked at DECS etc, but am sooo knackered as we've just gone back to school and can't find the right pages I think (just too tired really).

Hi Sheila, was wondering if you could answer a couple of questions possibly please?

1) Where can you do your Mandatory training now, as I've been in contact with ERC (whom have been named on this thread for it, and on other threads I've read) but they say they are no longer certified for DECS training - I can still do the training with them, but it will only be valid for Catholic and Private schools and not DECS?

2)Do you know how long the ACRO Police check is valid for (from the UK)?

3) Is the registration fee payable each year? (The $300ish)

4) Do you have to go through this whole thing each year if you are an OTT, or just the once and every year after that just pay the re-registration fee?

Many thanks in what you can answer - I've looked at DECS etc, but am sooo knackered as we've just gone back to school and can't find the right pages I think (just too tired really).

From what I can remember neraly two years ago:

1 I used ERC - didn't know about the change of status, thanks.

2 If you mean Police check for here, you'll need another from here, when you get here.

3 I paid my registration and I think it lasts three years.

4 As 3

I do prefer the summer off here :)

Cooler

Hi Pixie, I can't fully answer all of your questions as I am just finding all of this out right now, but I will do my best:

1) I have put the address below, it tells you where you can do the course. I am doing mine on 27th Sept - finally. They get booked up very quickly.

2) the ACRO Police check is valid for 1 year, but after you have been here in Oz for a year they will do a local one I think as the ACRO one traces all of your history. I don't think they do one here until after a year as there will be no historty on you at all, but it does have to be done yearly.

3) Currently I think the registration fee is about $300 for 3 years, it needs renewing every 3 years at the same cost

4) as above

http://www.trb.sa.edu.au/applying.php all about applying)

http://www.trb.sa.edu.au/mnt.php (mandatory notice training)

http://www.trb.sa.edu.au/fees.php (registration fees)

hope this is helpful, when are you arriving?? Any ideas yet??

Sheila

Hi Pixie, I can't fully answer all of your questions as I am just finding all of this out right now, but I will do my best:

1) I have put the address below, it tells you where you can do the course. I am doing mine on 27th Sept - finally. They get booked up very quickly.

2) the ACRO Police check is valid for 1 year, but after you have been here in Oz for a year they will do a local one I think as the ACRO one traces all of your history. I don't think they do one here until after a year as there will be no historty on you at all, but it does have to be done yearly.

3) Currently I think the registration fee is about $300 for 3 years, it needs renewing every 3 years at the same cost

4) as above

http://www.trb.sa.edu.au/applying.php all about applying)

http://www.trb.sa.edu.au/mnt.php (mandatory notice training)

http://www.trb.sa.edu.au/fees.php (registration fees)

Sheila

It may have changed, but I had to do a Police check when I arrived as you have to have a 'local' one as well as one from the UK.

edit: Mrs C said I didn't and I bow down to her superior knowledge!

Cooler

Guest Adelaide_bound
H

Sheila

Mega helpful - many many thanks to both you and Coolerking. DECS told me I needed an Aussie Police check when I got in the country, but seeing as they are a Government body (which in my experience means they have no idea of what goes on) and you guys are going through it/have gone through it and it actually impacts on your lives (rather than just working for someone that it does), I'll go with what you lot say lol.

We are coming over probably the very start of Feb (around the 2nd probably? Up in the air at the moment, it depends if school will release me at Feb 1/2 term or not, but I'm guessing they won't), but we're going to be a bit weird in that we are then taking off in a campervan for 6-12 ish months (as long as we want really). The fact the registration is for three years makes a massive difference to plans - I was in two minds whether to get my training done and my registration sorted before we took off, but didn't want to pay the highish registration fee and then us decide we were going to take the full 12 months and therefore waste that money in effect. I was in a mind to get it done so that I could start working immediately on getting back to Adelaide when we finish - if its for 3 years then it makes more sense to get it done (especially if the police check doesn't ahve to be done for Aus if I register when we first get there). I'm currently waiting for my Police Check to come back in the UK for our 176 to be granted, so that should still be in date.

So, all very helpful, thank you a million times, my life just got a lot easier :)