Sign in to follow this  
Guest JT1

ESL Teacher

Guest JT1

Hi

Could anyone advise if there is enough work in Adelaide to set up as a teacher - a private teacher of English as a foreign language.

Thank you

Guest colette

Hi

I qualified as an ESL at Adelaide Uni in 2008. I have worked casually at the University of Adelaide, GEOS (went bust last year) and now Carrick. There is a huge surplus of ESL teachers as all the universities do 2 courses a year and many English Language Schools have closed down over the last year or so. If you PM me I can give you the name and contact details of the places I have worked. The salary is usually $40 an hour or $70 per hour at the universities but you earn the latter with all the admin work involved. Private lessons are usually offered by teachers to their pupils outside college hours. It might be difficult to get private students without teaching in a college.

Cheers

Colette

Guest colette

By the way do you have a CELTA qualification? Without one you are not allowed to teach ESL in Adelaide.

Colette

Guest JT1

Hi Colette - been while since we spoke as worked for a while. Could we touch base as wanted to ask about where ESL teachers are currently required - roughly! Thank you....Natalie

Guest Adelaide_bound
    By the way do you have a CELTA qualification? Without one you are not allowed to teach ESL in Adelaide.

Colette

Out of interest, are you allowed to teach English as a Foreign Language (especially to private students) if you have a ITT qualification instead of CELTA qualification - ie if you are a qualified school teacher? Whilst at the moment I'm in two minds about whether I actually will ever return to teaching in any form right now, its handy to know what's available/legal/allowed etc :)

Cheers