Guest poohpod

Best Broadband and Mobile

Guest poohpod

We'll be arriving in Adelaide in January (all being well visa wise!!!), and I'd like to know what the broadband and mobile phone service is like - who are good ISP's and mobile providers, and who should be avoided...??? Is the reception good all over Adelaide, or patchy as it can sometimes be here in the UK??? What's the typical monthly cost compared to over here???

Guest Libby1971

Hi

Australia is not a totally Broadband available area.

Telstra is the main provider. Sorry that's wrong, they are the equiv of BT and own most of the 'stuff' (sorry to all you technical people who know the correct terms for stuff).

We found it virtually impossible to believe that Broadband wasn't available wherever we went. Prices are comparable to the UK.

Libby

Guest Rob and Clare

Hi,

I don't think broadband is quite as cheap as the Uk yet, but it's not far off. You can get decent deals by having your whole package, broadband, mobile and phone with one supplier, AAPT seem ok at this www.aapt.com.au . Dodo offer good value broadband, but the cheapest i've found is http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/isp.cfm/Adam-Internet/35.html . Libby is correct, broadband isn't available everywhere, the nearer the city the better...

Mobiles to me seem a bit different to the uk, only in as much as they don't sell you free minutes, but sell you a dollar value instead... Like have a $20 phone plane and get $40 of free calls, but the call costs are quite expensive, so you don't really get something for nothing... Just do Google searches for Telstra, Optus, Vodaphone and 3 to see the price plans to get the jist of what they offer.

Reception is ok in Adelaide, I'd heard reception outside the city's can be hit and miss, but i drive from sydney to adelaide on vodaphone 4 years ago and never had a problem.

Cheers

Rob

Guest soggy
    We'll be arriving in Adelaide in January (all being well visa wise!!!), and I'd like to know what the broadband and mobile phone service is like - who are good ISP's and mobile providers, and who should be avoided...??? Is the reception good all over Adelaide, or patchy as it can sometimes be here in the UK??? What's the typical monthly cost compared to over here???

Hi,

try www.adelaidebound.com and look at the utilities section, it gives lots of info on broadband providers and a price comparison tool.

Simon

Guest BJF

My house phone is AAPT, I call my mum back in UK most days, my average moothly bill is around $100. which i'm happy with. AAPT also gave us a free sim card for Tori's mobile for which I pay 50c per month and she gets $20. worth of credit, if she goes over that credit it's cahrged to my house phone bill so she never really has no credit on her mobile.

My internet is provided by TPG, http://www.tpg.com.au/ costs me $99. per month but I get 40GB of download, we need large download as we run two PC's, two laptops and a PDA in our house.Plus I play on the online virtual world Second Life.

With the exception of Tori, we all have 3G mobile's, mine and hubby's are contract, minimum monthly charge is $20. and for that I get $99. worth of call/texts. We're on a $99. cap (max monthly payment) which means we get $399. (might actually be $499.) worth of calls for $99. if we were to max the mobile usage. Eldest daughter has a 3G pre-paid mobile, she must top up her credit every 60 days days, she tops up with $50. and that gets her $100. credit plus 250 free texts. As I said Tori's mobile is connected to our house phone plan.

Guest dglamoore

We are with Vodaphone pay as you go - I get the $29 jumbo cap each month which gives me $130 worth of credit plus bonus texts every so often on top. No problems with coverage at all so far :D

For phone and broadband we are on Optus - not super fast bradband like used to in uk but fast enough and price a little more than uk but not much. We pay $55 a month for the phone which gives us unlimited local calls and includes line rent then $49 for broadband with a 21gb usage limit. (needed limit due to work - one thing to watch for is that you get a package that is capped so slows when you reach your limit rather than ending up with a huge bill!)

We are happy enough with these and were limited with who provided in our area - trouble is you cannot tell if you can get broadband until you have your phone sorted so can be a bit hit and miss if the ports are all taken :o

Lisa:wubclub:

Guest jen&ian

Just be aware that even if an area can get broadband it doesn't mean they will have enough ports for new connections:arghh:. We have had to use bigpond wireless as it was the only thing we could get. Good luck and happy surfing!

jen:cute:

We have Vodafone, like Lisa, although this cap rate is not working very efficiently for me or perhaps I am texting to much hahaha !

NETSPACE have just installed the LAN & Broadband connection, everything is running smoothly, all done within 10 days.

Good luck

Angela