Settling in?

Guest neilmcr

Guest neilmcr

Hi there.

Let me introduce ourselves. Neil 45, Lyn (Born in 1968- She said I cant tell anybody how old she is) and Aron 16.

We arrived here 4 weeks ago, spending that much time looking for place to live, some furniture and sorting vitals such as Medicare, bank accounts etc. That we have not managed to make friends. Most of the locals are friendly enough but tend to stick together, It is even harder for our 16 year old son who finds the local kids his age even clickier. We would love to meet or talk to others who have been through this for some advice, or just to talk to someone different from the three of us. We are at the stage where we are getting on each others nerves because we are spending so much time together.

Guest louiesmum

Hope it all falls into place soon & I am sure you make friends on this site. We are still in uk but hey we are just waiting for our visa's at mo so hopefully not long. Best of luck with settling in. its early days hope it all goes well for you

Hello,

I notice that you are residing in Glenelg, please can you give me any advice about the suburbs as we are moving to Adelaide Feb 2008. My husband has a job to go to in Aberfoyle Park but I am use to living by the beach here in Torbay and so have been looking at Hallett Cove, Glenelg and Brighton. In your opinion how do these suburbs rate please? Also, is cost of living high? How much is petrol per litre, over £1.00 here now?

Regards

Tania

Guest sarahsmartiepants
Hi there.

Let me introduce ourselves. Neil 45, Lyn (Born in 1968- She said I cant tell anybody how old she is) and Aron 16.

We arrived here 4 weeks ago, spending that much time looking for place to live, some furniture and sorting vitals such as Medicare, bank accounts etc. That we have not managed to make friends. Most of the locals are friendly enough but tend to stick together, It is even harder for our 16 year old son who finds the local kids his age even clickier. We would love to meet or talk to others who have been through this for some advice, or just to talk to someone different from the three of us. We are at the stage where we are getting on each others nerves because we are spending so much time together.

Welcome to Adelaide, 4 weeks isnt very long so hold in there!

Have you both found work yet? How about your son, once he gets into school he will make friends, or is he going to work also?

It will take a while, but it will happen, where will you be renting?

sarah

Guest Guzzler&Sas

hello and welcome

there are always plenty of meet ups and things organised on here, so no doubt our paths will cross soon. We are a bit flat out with moving into our new house, but otherwise, we would organise a get together for a beer or two!

All the best for now

Regs

Sas

Guest neilmcr
Hope it all falls into place soon & I am sure you make friends on this site. We are still in uk but hey we are just waiting for our visa's at mo so hopefully not long. Best of luck with settling in. its early days hope it all goes well for you

Have made a few contacts but as you said it is early days. Despite it looking like we are struggling, we are enjoying it, and all still believe we have made the right decision coming here.

It seemed an eternity waiting for our visa`s etc, but when they arrived everything seemed to happen at once. Good luck with your move

Hello,

I notice that you are residing in Glenelg, please can you give me any advice about the suburbs as we are moving to Adelaide Feb 2008. My husband has a job to go to in Aberfoyle Park but I am use to living by the beach here in Torbay and so have been looking at Hallett Cove, Glenelg and Brighton. In your opinion how do these suburbs rate please? Also, is cost of living high? How much is petrol per litre, over £1.00 here now?

Regards

Tania

Hi Tania,

Yes living in Glenelg. Most places in Adelaide are within easy reach, they call it the 20 minute city, most places are about 20 to 30 mins apart at most.

We are renting at the moment so we can take our time and decide where we will settle eventually. From what we have seen, Glenelg and anywhere along the coast to Hallett Cove are fine. Though as with anywhere, house prices are higher than inland.

Regards petrol prices, approx $1.30 a litre which is about 50 to 60 pence.

Good luck and hope all goes well.

Welcome to Adelaide, 4 weeks isnt very long so hold in there!

Have you both found work yet? How about your son, once he gets into school he will make friends, or is he going to work also?

It will take a while, but it will happen, where will you be renting?

sarah

Hi Sarah,

Thanks for your comments, they are helpful, though it seems hard at times but it is definitely the right move coming here.

I have been offered work and am having a medical soon. Great, had to have one to get accepted and deemed fit enough to work, and now another to actually work. Looking forward to that:arghh:.

Aron wants to work so he is attending TAFE in Jan/Feb to sort out training, plumbing or electrician. So he is looking for somebody to take him on so he can do an apprenticeship.

Lyn is undecided, part of her wants to stay home and look after the house, but she is used to working and we both think she may get bored/lonely staying at home.

We arrived October 19th and stayed in a holiday apartment for 2 weeks until we found a unit which is in Glenelg. We have been in it for approx 2 weeks now.

hello and welcome

there are always plenty of meet ups and things organised on here, so no doubt our paths will cross soon. We are a bit flat out with moving into our new house, but otherwise, we would organise a get together for a beer or two!

All the best for now

Regs

Sas

Thanks for your comment and we look forward to meeting up. As regards your house move I hope all goes well.

Take care

You have mail

Libby

Thanks, had problem with computer but sorted now.

Guest Gordon & Dena Morrison

Hi there Neil , Lynn and Aron

We arrived her 3 months ago with our 3 children one whom is called Aaron and is 16 years old. It was difficult to begin as he didn't want to go back to school after doing his G.C.S.E's back in the UK, now he has passed his driving test with Chris who we met here , a great man (www.chrisdriving.com) he has his own independancy and is working more or less full time at woolies!!

We live in Seaford so not too far away from yourselves. Must admit it's hard for them at that age as the 2 younger ones settled in nicely without any problems.

Hope it all works out for you !!!

Dena:unsure:

Guest neilmcr
Hi there Neil , Lynn and Aron

We arrived her 3 months ago with our 3 children one whom is called Aaron and is 16 years old. It was difficult to begin as he didn't want to go back to school after doing his G.C.S.E's back in the UK, now he has passed his driving test with Chris who we met here , a great man (www.chrisdriving.com) he has his own independancy and is working more or less full time at woolies!!

We live in Seaford so not too far away from yourselves. Must admit it's hard for them at that age as the 2 younger ones settled in nicely without any problems.

Hope it all works out for you !!!

Dena:unsure:

Hi Dena.

Read your reply and sounds uncannily similar to ourselves. Aron has just started reading his drivers handbook, though he expects to be able to drive the moment he sits in the driving seat. Thanks for that link, we intend to contact Chris when he gets his learners permit, hopefully soon. How did Aaron find it making friends? Or was it a case of friendships developed once he started work. How have you settled in. We still miss friends and family from the UK, Aron and Lyn more than myself. I'm hopefully starting work in a few weeks so at least I will be occupied.

Neil