Guest Shmaggle

PGCE or GTP...

Guest Shmaggle

...which is best to do? Husband (who has a PhD) has been offered a GTP in Chemistry at a Boys Grammer here in Kent (it is a GTP linked to modules at local University). OR should he be applying for PGCE? I have had mixed info about GTP being recognised (or not!) in SA. Thanks in advance for any responses!!

Guest m.jephcott

I'm fairly sure that a GTP won't be recognised in Australia. Can you check with the teachers registeration board in SA or skills recognition? I did a 3 year BA in primary education and that is not recognised here, but I did not know that until arrival as we came in on my husbands skills. Perhaps a migration agent could advise.

Guest m.jephcott

So what did you do? Did you have to requalify here?

No, my university was also not recognised (University College Northampton), so I would have to try and get my degree recognised first, then I would have to do another year at uni here. We actually left the country shortly after as that was 6 years ago. We have recently moved back over and I am undecided as to whether to do the extra year and then struggle to find a permanent postion or to do something else.

Guest pandv_2000

The GTP gives you a PGCE. It is just a way to earn whilst you complete your training therefore it should be recognised as you end up with the same qualification.

The GTP gives you a PGCE. It is just a way to earn whilst you complete your training therefore it should be recognised as you end up with the same qualification.

You will not be able to get a visa with the GTP (as a teacher) or work as a teacher in Australia as you will not get teacher registration in any state. There is at least one member on here who can testify personally to that.

There are Australian bor teachers who would not qualify now with their qualifications and they cannot let their registration lapse or they will never get it again.

Cooler

What happens if you do a degree in primary education at uni in adelaide. If you were to come back to UK would this be recognised? My daugher has just been accepted on a BA Primary Education Course to commence in Sept at uni in the UK, one of her offers being from Northampton Uni. She is hopefully deferring her place for a year to see if she likes Australia, but if she does was hoping to do the same sort of course in Oz. What if when finished she decided Oz wasnt for her?

What happens if you do a degree in primary education at uni in adelaide. If you were to come back to UK would this be recognised? My daugher has just been accepted on a BA Primary Education Course to commence in Sept at uni in the UK, one of her offers being from Northampton Uni. She is hopefully deferring her place for a year to see if she likes Australia, but if she does was hoping to do the same sort of course in Oz. What if when finished she decided Oz wasnt for her?

I reckon that would be ok as the UK is more flexible. But that should be easy to check and also, most people here that I have met don't seem have honours automatically and I think that you do that after a straight degree. Just ask around and make sure you double check.

Cheers,

Cooler

Guest Adelaide_bound

This is not the case I'm afriad - the GTP is the Graduate Teacher Programme - it does lead to QTS (Qualified Teacher Status), but this in itself is not recognised by most other countries, Australia being one of them.

The PGCE is the Post Graduate Certificate of Education (which also leads to QTS, but this is irrelevant), you do NOT get a PGCE for doing the GTP route.

The only way of being able to teach in Australia is to do a three (or four) year undergraduate degree followed by a one year PGCE course or a four year (NOT a 3 year) BEd course (or an equivilant - there are new degrees popping up all the time with different offical titles - the important thing is it is 4 years long).

Karenbfam That would probably be fine - as CoolerKing says, the UK are not so fussy (Scotland not included), you can check with the GTC's website for overseas trained teachers if you are at all worried - she would need to do an NQT year if she ever came back to the UK probably though - however, as the GTC are being abolished currently (April next year I beleive they will be completely gone), and we don't know who or what is going to replace them at the moment, the rules could all change. I don't forsee how the teaching requirements will change/be any tighter though, seeing as it's perfectly fine to put completely unqualified staff infront of classes in England now, in a money saving effort, and this money saving is going to have to continue.

Guest Shmaggle

Hmmm..thanks for the responses, and I will email the education board, although it seems GTP definitely not recognised! Does anyone have more information about the course you can do there to 'top up' your qualifications?

It's such a shame as all the teachers we know here are of the opinion that doing a GTP is a better grounding than doing a PGCE, and that it is looked upon favourably in English schools.

Guest BigSmiles

Hi,

if your GTP is accredited through a university you 'should' be fine. I have a friend who has had her quals accepted recently who did a GTP through a university. I did the same course, so I'm hoping I will be fine too.

You can transfer your quals to a PGCE with some extra work once you have received a GTP, but this is for the school led GTP's, which are not regulated by universities, therefore, have the problem with transference of skills to Australian standards.

If you know you are going to emigrate and have the choice, I would go for the PGCE as there are definitely no problems there. Check that the university give the award and CATS points.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Guest Shmaggle

...thanks, that gives us hope! The GTP is indeed accredited by a university, and he has yet to have an interview to get on to the Uni course, even though he has been offered the GTP. He has to study modules which are given CATS credits.

Can I ask what subject your friend studied, and was it difficult to find work?

Guest BigSmiles

Hi, she's an English teacher and doing sub-work for the moment. She said she has been very frustrated with the slow pace of things, people returning calls, responding to emails and letters etc have taken ages so it did take her a while to find work. But, once she got used to the slower pace and accepted that things take more time over there she's settled in just fine.

They are up in Brisbane and absolutely loving it!

Hi, she's an English teacher and doing sub-work for the moment. She said she has been very frustrated with the slow pace of things, people returning calls, responding to emails and letters etc have taken ages so it did take her a while to find work. But, once she got used to the slower pace and accepted that things take more time over there she's settled in just fine.

They are up in Brisbane and absolutely loving it!

Although I am very surprised about that, I would still offer a word of caution. I have a friend who cannot get her teaching registration in SA as she has GTP.

Good for them though, if it's like here, tell them not to let there reg lapse though.

Cooler

Guest The Wilsons

I did a 3 year BSc in the UK and am now considering the PGCE route in to primary teaching. Would this be recognised in Australia?

Guest Adelaide_bound
    I did a 3 year BSc in the UK and am now considering the PGCE route in to primary teaching. Would this be recognised in Australia?

Yes - its 4 years study (3 yrs uni, 1 yr PGCE) so thats fine.

(But you may get comments about the fact there isn't much primary teaching to be had at the moment :) )