Guest graandjac

Shipping query.....????

Guest graandjac

;)Hi guys cant seem to find the answer to this one....If we sell the house and then ship our belongings over, can we still be here(the uk) when it arrives or do we have to be in oz ....or would a contact address out there be enough....? .Also being a tight git that Iam:biglaugh: rather than book as part of the whole package of shipping including the delivery over there , has anyone hired a van and picked it up themselves, as you just know thw shipping company will put some on the top....!!!!!....Cheers Graham

Guest sarahsmartiepants

I dont think you have to be here when it arrives, just a contact adress here,a friend or something, they will store it for you, but that is expensive, I never thought of collecting it ourself, the delivery this end came in the price.

sarah

Guest Guzzler&Sas
    ;)Hi guys cant seem to find the answer to this one....If we sell the house and then ship our belongings over, can we still be here(the uk) when it arrives or do we have to be in oz ....or would a contact address out there be enough....? .Also being a tight git that Iam:biglaugh: rather than book as part of the whole package of shipping including the delivery over there , has anyone hired a van and picked it up themselves, as you just know thw shipping company will put some on the top....!!!!!....Cheers Graham

Agree with Sarahsmartiepants about just having a contact address here( I wonder who???).

About collecting the shippment yourself are you off your head man:wacko:, if you are having a full container what size truck do you think you'll be able to hire, on your car license the biggest load you can drive will be 4500kg gross. If you go down this road you'll get to know Port Adelaide very well. What happens if your container goes into Melbourne?

Come to your senses man,

Guzzler

P.S I can feel a bad back coming on:p

Guest Libby1971

Hi

Like Sarahsmartiepants says, the delivery at this end was included in the price. We only had a part container and that was still more than 70 boxes. You might need to check with regards to insurance - if you need to make a claim, it might be argued that you dropped the box.

The other thing to consider is customs. When our stuff arrived, there were lots of forms that needed filling in and sending to customs plus they wanted more info on one box. Plus if they decide to inspect all your boxes (which apparently they are more inclined to do if you packed), there are additional costs.

We paid £1400 for a third container which included packing at one end, unpacking at the other and up to 10 weeks storage. We were pleased with that.

Personally after moving ourselves in the UK, I felt we deserved the opportunity to watch someone else do the work. :biglaugh:

Libby

my house is a two bedroom home and im taking everything with me, ive been quoted £3000 for a 20foot container which is packed here buy company stored at the depot until i decided i want it sent to adelaide which will take 8 weeks then delivered to a address with in 20miles of docks and unpacked as well....i will be there when it arrives as i hate this crap country and i want out so badly:arghh:

Guest deb and stoo
    About collecting the shippment yourself are you off your head man:wacko:, if you are having a full container what size truck do you think you'll be able to hire, on your car license the biggest load you can drive will be 4500kg gross. If you go down this road you'll get to know Port Adelaide very well. What happens if your container goes into Melbourne?

Come to your senses man,

Guzzler

P.S I can feel a bad back coming on:p

Yo fellow Gallah dude

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo dont do it man.....you'll be off the golf course for weeks.....there again might give me a chance to pick up a few shots on you ;).

Seriously M8 dont even think about it......we had a 20ft container with 153 items in, and it was packed floor to ceiling when it left our house in the UK. The next time we saw it was when the back of a very very big truck was opened on our drive here and two guys spent all day unloading and unpacking for us, well unloaded and did some minimal unpacking, we did the rest and still have 30 rubbish sacks full of the packaging to dispose of.

I know you can hire trailers etc here pretty cheap but can see you spending more in petrol running up and down the road to the Port and petrol's going up and up as we speak....they reckon $1.50 by Chrimbo !!:goofy:

Hi

When our stuff was packed up we were told by the shipping company that we had to be in the country when it arrived, so we left it in storage in the uk until we had booked our flights.Also I am pleased that our stuff was delivered and we didnt have to get it ourselves, watching someone else unload our 82 boxes and put them where I said in only an hour and half was better than waiting for hubby to get time of work and spend hours unloading and moaning about an aching back!

Wendy

Guest graandjac

:pOk the tight git gives in i was going to throw a huge party on the saved money but seeing as there wont be any dosh you lot wont be comming to the party:biglaugh:so s*d ya, I think your right guys......Cheers Graham

I gave a friends address to our shipping company & then when we found our rental emailed them the change of address.

No problems so far.

Angela