Guest fluxsta

Recce to Adelaide Feb 2011!! - finally posted! ;-)

Guest fluxsta

Ah goodness me! It has taken us AGES to finally sit down at the computer and write up our recce to Adelaide. We got back on 17 Feb, but seem to have all had awful jet lag (very weird as we didn’t have any jet lag out there, thank the lord!) and haven’t been able to keep our eyes open long enough to do anything in the evenings!

We did want to write it up, however, as we can’t contain how awesome the place, the accommodation and all the friends we met out in Adelaide are. Now not jet lagged, we are simply just depressed that we can’t come out and settle immediately (DAMN YOU, AHPRA. HURRY THE HELL UP!!!)

We had an, ahem, interesting, flight via Singapore and Perth (only saw the airports, sadly) with 14 month old twins on laps and a 4 year old.

Quick tips: 1. Don’t have twins. Just don’t. And if you do, don’t fly with them without a stopover to Australia when they’re 1.....(hehehe!) 2. Sky cots are, I’m sure amazing for tiny babies, but any baby over 6 months, just forget it. They’re too small to sit a decent sized little person into and placed too high to manoeuvre a sleeping baby into. If baby magically falls asleep in said cot, you have to remove them at any sign of turbulence, therefore beginning the long process of boring them to sleep again. 3. If you have a tiny baby and/or your children are a little more adaptable then ours don’t fly BA. When the sky cots are in place you can’t get the TV out of the arm of your seat and therefore miss the many fine Bruce Willis offerings, or more importantly, your 4 year old can’t watch Dora.......

We did, however, arrive at Adelaide airport in one piece on a glorious sunny afternoon and immediately headed for our rental at Aldinga Beach. We had booked The Dolphin through Judi at Roo’s Rentals. Although it isn’t the most swish place on the Esplanade, it turned out to be absolutely perfect for us. The view from the house and front garden is breathtaking. Lord knows how much you would pay for a view like it in a resort. We would wake up to see families of dolphins swimming past and sit on the veranda and watch the most beautiful sunsets at night. Incredible! It has a beach house feel and is reasonably basic inside, but we soon realised that open plan Australian houses are very good for letting little ‘uns run around without falling over each other – a revelation to us, who spend most of our time in our Surrey semi treading on toes! Judi herself is awesome. She bravely put up with us firing questions at her about emigrating, whilst our little ones smeared various foodstuff about the property and was more than happy to help at the end of the phone when we managed to trip the electricity. Oop! Fantastic lady. Fantastic rental. Thank you!

As far as Adelaide is concerned we found all the surrounding suburbs totally stunning. At first whilst looking at houses we were adamant that a beachside location was the way forward, until we considered the price difference! So, having met up with a lovely couple who lived in Aberfoyle Park we found that most neighbourhoods have local parks which is great if you have small children. There is no point going into boring detail about where we liked, what we did etc. Suffice to say that what made us feel at home instantly was the support and help that we received from people on this community forum. Everyone has been there, done it and got the t-shirt so were very helpful in giving us their experiences. Especially Rob and Mel and Julia down at Aldinga. We went to a bbq when we first arrived and Jason was very helpful in giving us his experience of nursing over there. So, a massive, huge, enormous thank you to all of you who helped us and we feel like we have made good friends and a base already. The trip was a cross between entertaining the kids, who love the beach and trying to look at work opps, living expenses and doing menial (but necessary) task such as opening a bank account.

We did so much on the trip that we were not happy to be going home. Suffice to say the flight home was ‘ahem’ interesting and we are grateful that we have no learnt to break it up with a layover overnight somewhere. The UK upon return is still the same cold, frosty dank place it has always been and we were ever so grateful to have the National Census land on our doorstep yesterday, which apparently is illegal NOT to fill out! I love you Con-dems....and especially you David Cameron. Back to the grindstone, and awaiting interviews, processing of nursing registration and just waiting (semi) patiently until the time arrives for us to pack up and finally come. You may have gathered that I (Nigel) have taken over the writing part from Catherine halfway through this recce, and I am not as eloquent in my writing presentation or descriptive as she is, so I will sign off now.

Suffice to say, the recce was a must do. We believe that it would be too much to just ‘dive in’ and we are grateful for the opportunity to do some research. Plan for the flight if you have kids, pack minimally. Speak to people over in Oz, make yourself available, take the help and also be willing to help others. It struck us that you need to speak to people and become part of things. You cannot just stay British and have a prideful stiff upper lip expecting that things will happen! Winners MAKE things happen, losers LET things. Stay open minded and enjoy the sun!

A massive thank you to Judi....awesome house roos rentals rock!! Julia----like minded and supremely helpful! Rob and Mel---awesomeness!! Amanda and Jason – great BBQ.....all at the beach meet up and our Scottish friends many thanks and I will reply to your post! Xxxxx Live the dream guys! We are trying too................

:biglaugh::biglaugh:

The UK upon return is still the same cold, frosty dank place it has always been and we were ever so grateful to have the National Census land on our doorstep yesterday, which apparently is illegal NOT to fill out! I love you Con-dems....and especially you David Cameron.

The census has been compulsory since 1920 - it's been just as illegal not to comply regardless of which political party has been in office when it's been conducted.

The same applies in Australia (the next one is due in August this year). In fact, it's been compulsory here for longer than in the UK (1905).

Jim

Guest Caz&Al

Thanks for sharing your reccie experience. We're going over in October to have a holiday before moving, and it was good to hear that Adelaide was all you hoped it would be. Good luck for August

Ah goodness me! It has taken us AGES to finally sit down at the computer and write up our recce to Adelaide. We got back on 17 Feb, but seem to have all had awful jet lag (very weird as we didn’t have any jet lag out there, thank the lord!) and haven’t been able to keep our eyes open long enough to do anything in the evenings!

We did want to write it up, however, as we can’t contain how awesome the place, the accommodation and all the friends we met out in Adelaide are. Now not jet lagged, we are simply just depressed that we can’t come out and settle immediately (DAMN YOU, AHPRA. HURRY THE HELL UP!!!)

We had an, ahem, interesting, flight via Singapore and Perth (only saw the airports, sadly) with 14 month old twins on laps and a 4 year old.

Quick tips: 1. Don’t have twins. Just don’t. And if you do, don’t fly with them without a stopover to Australia when they’re 1.....(hehehe!) 2. Sky cots are, I’m sure amazing for tiny babies, but any baby over 6 months, just forget it. They’re too small to sit a decent sized little person into and placed too high to manoeuvre a sleeping baby into. If baby magically falls asleep in said cot, you have to remove them at any sign of turbulence, therefore beginning the long process of boring them to sleep again. 3. If you have a tiny baby and/or your children are a little more adaptable then ours don’t fly BA. When the sky cots are in place you can’t get the TV out of the arm of your seat and therefore miss the many fine Bruce Willis offerings, or more importantly, your 4 year old can’t watch Dora.......

We did, however, arrive at Adelaide airport in one piece on a glorious sunny afternoon and immediately headed for our rental at Aldinga Beach. We had booked The Dolphin through Judi at Roo’s Rentals. Although it isn’t the most swish place on the Esplanade, it turned out to be absolutely perfect for us. The view from the house and front garden is breathtaking. Lord knows how much you would pay for a view like it in a resort. We would wake up to see families of dolphins swimming past and sit on the veranda and watch the most beautiful sunsets at night. Incredible! It has a beach house feel and is reasonably basic inside, but we soon realised that open plan Australian houses are very good for letting little ‘uns run around without falling over each other – a revelation to us, who spend most of our time in our Surrey semi treading on toes! Judi herself is awesome. She bravely put up with us firing questions at her about emigrating, whilst our little ones smeared various foodstuff about the property and was more than happy to help at the end of the phone when we managed to trip the electricity. Oop! Fantastic lady. Fantastic rental. Thank you!

As far as Adelaide is concerned we found all the surrounding suburbs totally stunning. At first whilst looking at houses we were adamant that a beachside location was the way forward, until we considered the price difference! So, having met up with a lovely couple who lived in Aberfoyle Park we found that most neighbourhoods have local parks which is great if you have small children. There is no point going into boring detail about where we liked, what we did etc. Suffice to say that what made us feel at home instantly was the support and help that we received from people on this community forum. Everyone has been there, done it and got the t-shirt so were very helpful in giving us their experiences. Especially Rob and Mel and Julia down at Aldinga. We went to a bbq when we first arrived and Jason was very helpful in giving us his experience of nursing over there. So, a massive, huge, enormous thank you to all of you who helped us and we feel like we have made good friends and a base already. The trip was a cross between entertaining the kids, who love the beach and trying to look at work opps, living expenses and doing menial (but necessary) task such as opening a bank account.

We did so much on the trip that we were not happy to be going home. Suffice to say the flight home was ‘ahem’ interesting and we are grateful that we have no learnt to break it up with a layover overnight somewhere. The UK upon return is still the same cold, frosty dank place it has always been and we were ever so grateful to have the National Census land on our doorstep yesterday, which apparently is illegal NOT to fill out! I love you Con-dems....and especially you David Cameron. Back to the grindstone, and awaiting interviews, processing of nursing registration and just waiting (semi) patiently until the time arrives for us to pack up and finally come. You may have gathered that I (Nigel) have taken over the writing part from Catherine halfway through this recce, and I am not as eloquent in my writing presentation or descriptive as she is, so I will sign off now.

Suffice to say, the recce was a must do. We believe that it would be too much to just ‘dive in’ and we are grateful for the opportunity to do some research. Plan for the flight if you have kids, pack minimally. Speak to people over in Oz, make yourself available, take the help and also be willing to help others. It struck us that you need to speak to people and become part of things. You cannot just stay British and have a prideful stiff upper lip expecting that things will happen! Winners MAKE things happen, losers LET things. Stay open minded and enjoy the sun!

A massive thank you to Judi....awesome house roos rentals rock!! Julia----like minded and supremely helpful! Rob and Mel---awesomeness!! Amanda and Jason – great BBQ.....all at the beach meet up and our Scottish friends many thanks and I will reply to your post! Xxxxx Live the dream guys! We are trying too................

:biglaugh::biglaugh:

How long of a reccie did ye take Fluxta? We are heading for 2 weeks in March 2014 as we need to activate visa in March (short on time). Could not make up our minds whether it is what we now want. Did ye go over to contacts? What kind of things would you recommend setting up to get a full picture of how life might be?

Guest fluxsta
    How long of a reccie did ye take Fluxta? We are heading for 2 weeks in March 2014 as we need to activate visa in March (short on time). Could not make up our minds whether it is what we now want. Did ye go over to contacts? What kind of things would you recommend setting up to get a full picture of how life might be?

We are actually in Brisbane now. We took a 2 week recce to Adelaide to get a feel of the place. We knew nobody but soon meet some lovely people whilst there, via contacts met on this site. Not sure if we needed to set anything up, and there is never a 'full picture' of life anywhere that you can gather in two weeks.

Now being in Australia, we just knew after the trip that the right decision had been made. Follow your heart, not your head. the only thing I did set up whilst over there was a bank account and also my nursing registration. Glad we are Queensland now, wouldn't change it for the world, no offence to SA and Adelaide.....

Good luck, may your journey be a safe one

Guest fluxsta

Essential things? Nothing as far as I can see. The essential decision is do you want to move to Australia!? There are practical things like setting up a bank account and touching base with real estate agents. None of which is worth it unless your decision to migrate is concrete