Cyclist looking for people who would be interested in riding

Guest chesterboy

Guest chesterboy

Hi I am 28 and have lived in adelaide a year and a half with my wife and new baby. I have recently got into road cycling and am looking for people who would be interested in getting out and doing a few K's. I am based in hallett cove and like to go round outer harbour / waterfall gully and mclaren vale. I have only been riding for about 6 months but would be looking to enter some of the big rides next year. Starting off doing about 60k trips

Reply or send me a pm

If there are any clubs down south already up and running then let me know

Enjoy :)

We won't be there till next year but hubby is big into his cycling. He used to cycle lots when he was living back home there. Mainly as a mode of transport rather than just for pleasure/keeping fit but he got bitten by the bug and is now fully kitted out with a smart set of wheels and all the rest.

Guest Bluenose

Hi mate, I'm into cycling as well but I'm a bit far from you. There's plenty of groups that do rides along the coast....Glenelg etc....a good place to start is Cycling SA as they have group rides (or they used too) From there you'll get more info from other cyclists about group rides etc. You could always check with the local bike stores in your area to see if there are any organised group rides that they know of.

I would suggest that you get some practise (as you mention you've just started) riding with smaller groups before tackling the larger groups as you do need to develope your skills....as it can be a little scarey travlling at speed in a big group + the there are rules etc that you wouldn't know about unless you've ridden in groups. Just start at back.....listen to what the more experienced riders tell you and you'll be fine :-) That's how I started.

You can also join a club, you don't have to race I don't race anymore but I still belong to a club (PACC - Port Adelaide Cycling Club) as it covers me for insurance while I'm out riding/racing/training. My membership to PACC is about $77.00 per year.

Hope that helps.

Happy riding and stay rubber side down.

Cheers

Guest chesterboy

Thanks bluenose I am no moppet and click along at about 30kph on average but need someone who can push the pace then sit on my wheel as I push it a bit as the individual time trial is getting a bit tough. I start riding with a club next friday but they only go on a Friday so was looking fo somebody who wants to put a few ks in midweek what are you favorite routes? Mine has to be around cuddles creek and corkscrew rd

Guest Bluenose
Thanks bluenose I am no moppet and click along at about 30kph on average but need someone who can push the pace then sit on my wheel as I push it a bit as the individual time trial is getting a bit tough. I start riding with a club next friday but they only go on a Friday so was looking fo somebody who wants to put a few ks in midweek what are you favorite routes? Mine has to be around cuddles creek and corkscrew rd

Ah no worries...so you're quite strong....but I still advise that you get some practise riding in a group.

Cycling has become really popular (some say the new golf ;)) I used to ride with some people who were really fit....very strong riders. They'd picked up cycling after doing other sports etc...They raced A & B Grade's because they were fit enough to do so. However they did encounter problems with their bike skills ie racing 40-50kmph with someone only 3 inches away can be a little daunting....So thats why I mentioned it. I didn't mean to sound as if you were some sort of hubbard. ;) so apologies if you took it that way.

I'm located at Gumeracha...so I tend to ride around up here a bit. A common ride is down Gorge Road and back....I meet friends down the bottom (Stradbrook roundabout) before heading back up for a coffee at Cuddlee Creek. Today I was down Gorge Road...over to Norton Road..Up Norton..then headed towards Corky....down Corkscrew (much easier going down ;)) before heading back up Gorge to Cuddlee Creek for a drink...then home.

I ride more for the enjoyment now as I stopped racing about 4 years ago.

Which club did you end up joining?

Cheers

J

indeed, saturday morning rides from tailwind - 7.25 for 7.30 start. refreshments back at the shop after, only a short 1.5 hours ride. there are 2 or 3 groups of varying speed, another good turnout today - over 30 I think. really nice bunch of guys. If it is not far enough for you - do a loop before, some of the guys do.

see you there?

message me if you want any more info, also check our FB page if you are on there, Tailwind Cycles, often have updates on there. or message me your e-mail address, and you will get e-mailed the route every friday :)

Guest Springers

Try the Bike Station on Brighton Road, Noel, the owner, is really helpful and they organise rides on Saturday mornings at about 7.30 with different speeds and experience. They also enter teams in road races.

Also, Mega Bike on King William Road, they also go out early on a Saturday, groups of different ability and also have flat and hilly rides.

Good luck!

Try the Bike Station on Brighton Road, Noel, the owner, is really helpful and they organise rides on Saturday mornings at about 7.30 with different speeds and experience. They also enter teams in road races.

Hubby recommends there also. He used to always take his bike in for repairs and stuff when he was still living there.

Guest chesterboy

Thanks all for the advice I will do some enquiries with the bike station and tailwind the next few days and see which times etc suit me best. Hope to see you all out there

• 1 month later...
Guest Adelaide Dad

Hi chesterboy. Welcome to Adelaide and also welcome to the wonderful world of road cycling. I have been doing it for about a year now and LOVE it to bits. Unfortunately had an arthroscope last Tuesday so that will keep me off the wheels for a few weeks but I am also looking for some riding partners. used to ride a lot after work during daylight saving, but now that's finished will likely be more of a weekend thing (when I don't have my kids). I usually ride anything from 50 - 100 km in a session and average between 30 - 35 km/h so shoudl be fun if you are interested. Let me know, cheers. David

My OH rides with a group who go up to Norton Summit before work on a Wednesday morning (or somewhere up a hill - how should I know? I'm still tucked up in bed at that time!) - I'm sure if I asked he'd tell me the pre-ride meet up place and time if any of you care to joiin them.

We're also off on the Bike SA Easter trip this weekend - Bicycle SA organise a lot of regular rides for all different levels.

You're all mad of course, but hey, I guess there are worse things to be addicted to....:biglaugh::biglaugh:

Guest Adelaide Dad

I am hoping to find people from the Western Suburbs - I live in Semaphore currently and ride north to outer harbour (along the beach) then back through semaphore and south to glenelg, then into the city up anzac highway then back home down port road. A nice ride and you get to see some nice parts of Adelaide. It is an addiction Diane I agree but it is also such freedom and enjoyment.

Guest chesterboy
My OH rides with a group who go up to Norton Summit before work on a Wednesday morning (or somewhere up a hill - how should I know? I'm still tucked up in bed at that time!) - I'm sure if I asked he'd tell me the pre-ride meet up place and time if any of you care to joiin them.

We're also off on the Bike SA Easter trip this weekend - Bicycle SA organise a lot of regular rides for all different levels.

You're all mad of course, but hey, I guess there are worse things to be addicted to....:biglaugh::biglaugh:

If you could tell me when and where they meet that would be great and obviously check it would be ok for me to tag along. They're not olympic cyclists though are they?