Rachiegarlo

hmmmmph

Formal season has begun and I have already traipsed the city looking at ugly dresses for large sums of money. If any of you are in the same boat...as in your daughter is in yr 11 or 12 and attending her school's formal.....this year I have bought a really nice dress from Coast via www.asos.com and it's on its way already :) after me parting with only 175 pounds instead of ##&!!!!!!! dollars. PLUS no one else will have one the same cos there are Coast shops only in Perth and Sydney and anyone who goes interstate formal dress shopping usually goes to Melbourne. Now for just shoes n bag.

Last year we got two reasonably priced dresses from Miss Gladys Sym Choon in Rundle St and Myer in the Mall.

Formals are so much fun! Who would think the kids could talk about it soooo far in the future! And the drama as the day gets closer! The year 7 graduation was nothing compared to the year 12 one and that seemed to take enough of the kids dreaming/ planning etc!

My daughter had hers made for $250 all up - and most of that cost was in the price of the fabric as she had a very full skirt. The lady that made it took a note of which school etc so she can guarantee that no one else will have that design or even fabric. She was fab and thanks to the three consultations and fittings, my daughter ended up with a very elegant, beautiful timeless dress.

A couple of years ago my friend's daughter paid the princely sum of $39!!! Also a gorgeous dress, they just happened to be at the right place -Harbour town- at the right time! I think my daughter's corsage cost that ( not that we had to pay lol)

Just another idea to throw in :cute:

LC

I can't believe the prices of some of the dresses that people buy! We looked at some in a little local shop today - most of them over $500!! For a dress that will probably be worn only once or twice!! When we lived in the UK, there was a brilliant shop in Shenfield that used to do ball gown hire - I got a fabulous dress for the FOREX Ball there once, far better than anything I'd have been able to afford to buy, absolutely stunning, wore it the once, then returned it to the shop! You'd think with all the formals here - and it's Year 11 now as well as Year 12 for goodness sake so they have to have two different dresses only a year apart! - there would be a huge demand for such a thing here. What on earth do people do with the dresses after they've worn them once? Hang them away in a cupboard forever? Ebay haven't even got many on there...

What on earth do people do with the dresses after they've worn them once? Hang them away in a cupboard forever? Ebay haven't even got many on there...

Yes, I have at least 9 from three daughters in the spare wardrobe, hate to get rid of them to the Salvos, but they are quite out of style the year after they were bought. One or two "classic" the girls have taken with them, but they don't really wear them much after they have left school/uni. .......and then there are the bridesmaid dresses!!!!!!!!

We did get some great bargains from Harbourtown, and a lovely formal dress shop which used to be in Rundle Mall. One dress was half price from Myer, another the same from Noni B. It just pays to shop around until you find something to suit your budget.

Are they really that fancy? As in so formal. Even formal here now is not really massively dressy. Its more simple chic that can be worn again.

this year I have bought a really nice dress from Coast via www.asos.com and it's on its way already :) all.

Many thanks for that site, I have just bought some Maternity clothes for my daughter in their sale and they are shipping them to NZ free!!!!!! Much cheaper than Target!

Guest Guest75
    Are they really that fancy? As in so formal. Even formal here now is not really massively dressy. Its more simple chic that can be worn again.

It's quite something here ...... Plus Dad get's to re use the dress again when he comes out as a transvestite:chatterbox:

I am soooo dead in the water for that one:err::err::err:

It's quite something here ...... Plus Dad get's to re use the dress again when he comes out as a transvestite:chatterbox:

I am soooo dead in the water for that one:err:

:biglaugh:

There is no way you'd get me into a frock when I was 18 and that hasn't changed a jot since.

I never wear a long dress (or any dress) if I can help it. Even when I got married I avoided a wedding dress in any sense of the word, found a skirt and blouse I liked and then finished it off with a pair of Doc Martens knee high boots!

So yeah, a school formal would have me running for a tux or set of tails and a top hat. I rocked that look in the 80's :D