Guest guest4504

How long could $16,000 last

Guest guest4504

Hi all. Yes from the title yet another money Q. We have allocated £10K or $16,000 at rate now. We have put aside funds for container, car purchase ( as we have decided against taking ours now ) and flights. I have also left £10,000 (£16,000 ) for the rest of set up costs and living exp until we get off the ground and get job(s). Assuming we don't use nursery until one of us gets a job and we are careful and not to live beyond our means how many months approx could this last ? Taking into account short term rental for a month and hope to get long term, doctors reg fee ? , driving licence's . Ideally a rental of $350 - $400 pw. mobile phones if it helps. All of our house kitchen crap is in the container. We have more money but I have set that aside for a house deposit later down the line, and I dont want to have it in my head that we can sit on our backside and take it easy with it. People could say I am tight with money, and we are not smokers or drinkers and don't have exotic lifestyles . As from what I can make of it jobs are not just handed to you and it is hard and could take months, just trying to be prepared. Thanks, and take it easy. D:D

Guest jlr248
    Hi all. Yes from the title yet another money Q. We have allocated £10K or $16,000 at rate now. We have put aside funds for container, car purchase ( as we have decided against taking ours now ) and flights. I have also left £10,000 (£16,000 ) for the rest of set up costs and living exp until we get off the ground and get job(s). Assuming we don't use nursery until one of us gets a job and we are careful and not to live beyond our means how many months approx could this last ? Taking into account short term rental for a month and hope to get long term, doctors reg fee ? , driving licence's . Ideally a rental of $350 - $400 pw. mobile phones if it helps. All of our house kitchen crap is in the container. We have more money but I have set that aside for a house deposit later down the line, and I dont want to have it in my head that we can sit on our backside and take it easy with it. People could say I am tight with money, and we are not smokers or drinkers and don't have exotic lifestyles . As from what I can make of it jobs are not just handed to you and it is hard and could take months, just trying to be prepared. Thanks, and take it easy. D:D

Sorry I cant help you but i too am interested in any answers (we are a family of 4 with 2 teenagers who really do think money grows on trees) x

Guest The Dimmocks

If you have funds already set aside for a new car then I think that amount should last you a while. Buying a car is what ate the majority of our money when we came over.

Guest guest4504

It will only have to be an A to B car, as long as it does what its meant to be. small and eco to run.

Guest clare

We came over in June with $13000. The 4 of us, took a while to get proper jobs so as long as you can be prepared for that then it will help my husband had eigt jobs between june and september an ive had 3, but luckily now we are both in fulltime jobs we both really like.

cars are expensive for what you get but if you have money for that youl be fine! I think that much will be ok, you seem to have the right attitude! Good luck!

Guest Adelaide_bound

It will last you as long as it has to - if you don't have the money, you can't spend it!

We have budgeted on about £25K to get us there and last us 6 months ish, with short term rental for a month, then long term rental, all food and bills for 2 months (after short term rental) a really pants car (we drive a £300 car here, so we are used to old old old and bad bad bad lol), and other bits and pieces when we get there, as well as flights over and the 3K to get the cats there (which may or may not be happening now).

We used the following figures as an educated guestimate from using others figures etc:

flights - 1K

car 1.5K

short term rental - 1625K

Rent (6 months) 6450K

my training so I can work (compulsory teacher thing) 600

ambulance insurance 60

car insurance 100

shipping 4K

food (I think for 2/3 months) 1350

phone 400

gas electric 300

rego 600 ???

Not sure on some of these, hopefully we have overestimated where we are wrong, and haven't budgeted for things like mobiles (but then we only use our mobiles in the UK about 5 times a year, so don't know if we will bother to start with, or take our old ones and just get a pay as you go sim or something). We also haven't budgeted for furniture, we aren't taking a whole heap (even though we have budgeted for a full container shipping) as *all* of our stuff is either 20 + years old, or from IKEA, so is cr*p stuff really and not worth shipping (will be restocking from garage sales, gumtree, ebay and ikea lol).

The big thing for us is to have enough money for rent for the first 6 months or so - then if the worst happens and we can't get jobs, we have a buffer whilst we get any job, and the pressure is off - at least we have a roof over our heads. We also want a bit of a holiday when we get there as it will also be our honeymoon (get married in 3 weeks! :D) and our first and only holiday since we have been together (6 years). I doubt we will raise the 25K, it will probably be more like 10 or 15K, so we will have to tighten our belts in places, its just the ideal for us I think.

Good luck and enjoy :D

There are so many factors which will decide how long the money lasts.....car, transport, eating out/in, additional money coming in, etc.

We came over in Jan 2007 with three kids - the job was starting in March so we had eight weeks to sort everything out.

To be honest, during the early weeks, the majority of our money was wasted on take-aways and eating out. We used any excuse - the supermarkets were so different, the pots/pans at out short term rental not up to spec, it's only one meal, you get the picture.

When I looked back at the money we actually wasted, it was astonishing. I now realise that it was due to the fact that despite the fact we had emigrated, we were still in holiday mode - lifes a beach and all that. The fact that I didn't start work till March only accentuated this.

My advice would to get back to normal family life at the earliest opportunity. Don't think that you should do all the touristy things straight away - they all cost money and you will have the opportunity to visit them over the coming years. A take-away is now a treat for the kids - normal family life!!

Cheers,

Tony

Guest Nick11

The first year of living here...you seem to get through ridiculous amounts of money.

It is frightening!!!!!!!!!!

Guest shella_n
    The first year of living here...you seem to get through ridiculous amounts of money.

It is frightening!!!!!!!!!!

i absolutely agree. We seem to have spent so much money on things we need ( for our new life - beach sun shelters, beach umbrella, boogie boards, fins, wet suits, esky's, bikes (didnt bring any from the uk) camping gear, hats hats and more hats, clothings (I found that my summer stuff from the uk was not cool enough). Of course these things are necesseties - they are just things weve brough over the last year that we have found that we need for our new life ;).....and thats just the stuff to have fun - never mind the mundane stuff connection fees for elec, gas, phones, stamp suty on buying car, new school uniforms, school fees, driving licences etc etc etc

Guest Gina & Alan

got a decent a to b car here mate fully serviced and nothing at all wrong with it 2k