Cherrypecker

Mail redirection ???

Hi,

Coming over in August, and still have a million questions for those of you who have already made the move. Here is one of them:

What do you normally do about your post? We will obviously tie up as many loose ends as possible before we leave the UK. We have sold our house, but there will still be dribs and drabs of mail that comes to that address after we have left.

The plan is for us to be in a furnished rental for 8 weeks in Adelaide whilst we find an unfurnished long term rental for a year. Clearly, we wont know the address of the long term rental until we have already left the UK. Plus, we dont even know if UK post can be redirected to Australia.

We have family in the UK who are willing to have our post on redirect to them, so that they can post it weekly over to us in Adelaide.

Any advise would be greatly received.

Thanks

Paul

Guest leemina

Hi Paul

We're also going over in August, what date you flying?? Has your wife managed to get AHPRA registration, as I havent even sent off the paperwork yet, hopefully this week. Where abouts you looking at living, we like the sound of woodcroft/happy valley/reynella and mount barker areas, but having never been before, we may change our minds. Do you have jobs lined up?? Sorry for questions, just nosy, haha.

Hi Paul

We're also going over in August, what date you flying?? Has your wife managed to get AHPRA registration, as I havent even sent off the paperwork yet, hopefully this week. Where abouts you looking at living, we like the sound of woodcroft/happy valley/reynella and mount barker areas, but having never been before, we may change our minds. Do you have jobs lined up?? Sorry for questions, just nosy, haha.

Leemina - Sent you a PM

Guest Adelaide_bound

imho I would ask the people moving into your old home very nicely and provide them with paid SAEs to send it on to you (and a nice pressie for doing so) - both when I moved to NZ and had redirection and when my parents emigrated to Spain the redirection from the UK just didn't happen on a regular basis (including my father then getting into trouble in Australia as a recorded delivery court appearance order to give evidence in a very boring tax trial there didn't make its way to him, being thrown away at their old local sorting office in the UK).

It meant my father lost business, money and caused a lot of headaches indeed for them (it was less of a problem for me, I just had hassles off the SLC when I got back and didn't get friends 'goodbye' cards really). It was a complete and utter nightmare for my parents especially, and had my father been in better health he was seriously thinking of taking them to court over it.

I don't know if it is still done this way, but basically it appear it is up to the postie assigned it at the local sorting office to ensure all your mail has the relevant stickers on it to send it on to you. If he/she can't be bothered to do it, they just dump it.

Now I'm sure 99% of posites are great and would never dream of doing this, but I would never take the risk, not after the massive problems we had with redirection both overseas and 6 months ago when we moved here from London and the redirection that just didn't happen despite being a paid for service. So paid for it 3 times, and 3 times it has been a shambles, so I won't be trusting RM to deliver in the future.