sharons dream

Plumber needs help

Hi I have passed my vetasse ( sorry if it's spelt wrong) and hope to be out in SA by the end of the year, but I need someone to explain in simple terms what I need to do so can carry on working as a plumber. Keep getting different advice. Can I work straight away? Do I need to do a full time course etc etc Hhhhhhheeeeelllllllpppppp xxxx someone please tell me in a step by step way lol .

Guest DJM

hija mate,

listen i am a plumber myself and had the same problem at first. i am moving to adelaide in sept with family and have been put in touch with the person who runs the gap training at the relevent college,, if you pm me your email address i will forward you the reply which he sent me, he was helpful and i am contacting him before i arrive to sort the relevent requirements, hope it helps mate

Guest jlr248
    hija mate,

listen i am a plumber myself and had the same problem at first. i am moving to adelaide in sept with family and have been put in touch with the person who runs the gap training at the relevent college,, if you pm me your email address i will forward you the reply which he sent me, he was helpful and i am contacting him before i arrive to sort the relevent requirements, hope it helps mate

Hi, My OH is a plumber (been self employed for 20 years), we have just got Visa (wehayy!) and are now thinking about the nitty gritty of working in Adelaide. Would really appreciate some advise on how he goes about getting license. He doesnt want to be self employed anymore and would sooner work for someone else in Oz. Any advice regarding getting his skills assessed (again - thought vetassess was enough) and completing these short courses would be really helpful. Thanks

Guest jlr248

Another question. Is it true that plumbers need to have a first aid ticket. If so is it Ok to take a first aid course in Uk ? Are there any particular courses that will be recognised in SA? Need advice please.

Guest kfoley0681

my husband is a plumber in adelaide we arrived here 2 and half years ago. answering all of the above

no first aid is not needed to work for an employer.

the contact person you will need to contact BEFORE you can work here is paul hebberd at tafe regency as you will need to meet with him to discuss what you have done etc as you WILL NEED A LICENCE TO WORK AS A PLUMBER EVEN AS AN EMPLOYEE.

previous experience is taken into account but generally only gets you a basic licence equivilent to an eprentice.

you will then need to do a 6 week course to qualify as a licenced plumber to be able to work for an employer.

lastly to work for yourself you will need to do 8 plumbing modules and 2 business modules roughly 2 years of work to get the self employed licence. you can get some previous experivce to sign of a few modules but most will need to be done irispective of you running a plumbing business in the uk.

by law to work you WILL need a licence occasionally some companies will take you on if you are in the process of doing the licenicing.

OCBA is the licencing board but only will issue them with confirmation grom tafe.

you will need to see paulhebbard at tafe even with having skills assessed and previous business in the uk.

plumbers wages range for working as an empolyee from $21 an hour to $40!

good luck everyone hope this info helps!

Guest jlr248
    my husband is a plumber in adelaide we arrived here 2 and half years ago. answering all of the above

the contact person you will need to contact BEFORE you can work here is paul hebberd at tafe regency as you will need to meet with him to discuss what you have done etc as you WILL NEED A LICENCE TO WORK AS A PLUMBER EVEN AS AN EMPLOYEE.

previous experience is taken into account but generally only gets you a basic licence equivilent to an eprentice.

you will then need to do a 6 week course to qualify as a licenced plumber to be able to work for an employer.

lastly to work for yourself you will need to do 8 plumbing modules and 2 business modules roughly 2 years of work to get the self employed licence. you can get some previous experivce to sign of a few modules but most will need to be done irispective of you running a plumbing business in the uk.

by law to work you WILL need a licence occasionally some companies will take you on if you are in the process of doing the licenicing.

OCBA is the licencing board but only will issue them with confirmation grom tafe.

you will need to see paulhebbard at tafe even with having skills assessed and previous business in the uk.

Thanks for all this useful info, very helpful x

Hi kfoley, sorry to be a pain, im a plumber looking to move to SA, quite new to this site, just wondering if you'd be able to private msg me Paul Hebbard email address, been trying to find it but cant. Be so thankful if you can, many thanks smify

Smify the email for Paul is...paul.hebbard@tafesa.edu.au

Have you seen the thread ...http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/jobs-careers/23276-plumbing-workers-2.html

It might answer some of the questions you want answering.

I have just completed the courses that you have to do to get your level 3 plumbing cert.

I will up date the other thread to give the full info as it stands today, Look back later.

Rob

Smify the email for Paul is...paul.hebbard@tafesa.edu.au

Have you seen the thread ...http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/jobs-careers/23276-plumbing-workers-2.html

It might answer some of the questions you want answering.

I have just completed the courses that you have to do to get your level 3 plumbing cert.

I will up date the other thread to give the full info as it stands today, Look back later.

Rob

Thanks alot Rob this is a massive help.