Sign in to follow this  
Guest jill wright

Yet another question.....house sale

Guest jill wright

Hi everyone:D:D

Wonder if any of you can help with this one.We are currently waiting for SA sponsorship to come through and then will put our house up for sale in the new year(scary!!!!) However we know once you get your visa granted it is valid for 12 months but what if your house hasn't sold in that time ???.We have heard you can go over and have it validated(what does this mean) then you have five years to make the move can anyone enlighten us. Your help most appreciated

The Wrights(West Yorkshire);)

Guest soggy
    Hi everyone:D:D

Wonder if any of you can help with this one.We are currently waiting for SA sponsorship to come through and then will put our house up for sale in the new year(scary!!!!) However we know once you get your visa granted it is valid for 12 months but what if your house hasn't sold in that time ???.We have heard you can go over and have it validated(what does this mean) then you have five years to make the move can anyone enlighten us. Your help most appreciated

The Wrights(West Yorkshire);)

Hi, you do have 12 months but its from the date of the police checks or the medicals which ever is first, getting your visas validated just means entering Australia with your visas, one thing to remember is the specific visa requirments for example the sir495 I hope to go on is only valid for 3 years and requires me to live in Australia for 24 months and work for 12 if I want to change to perminant residency so not much time to waste.

Simon

Guest dglamoore

You are right that you have 12 months from the date of your pc's or medicals to validate your visa but the next bit depends on which visa you have - a permenant visa you will have 5 years to get back but if you are on an SIR495 your 3 years actually starts the day you enter oz so be careful that you allow enough to over the two years as Simon has said :o

Lisa:jiggy:

Guest jill wright

Hi

Thanks for help it will be the temporary visa we go on so your answers give us more of a guideline.

Lisa how long have you been out there have you settled ok and found work etc

Jill,Phil, Lucy(15)Daniel(11)and not forgetting Thomas(6)

Guest dglamoore

Lisa how long have you been out there have you settled ok and found work etc

Jill we have been here seven months and settled into every day living now. We did not look for work as we both had businesses in the uk that we have relocated over here so now a case of getting them stronger :v_SPIN:

We sold a house early and went into rented in the uk for a year as we did not want any hold ups on the visa. That way we had no stress of trying to sell after getting the visa (and running out of time is a possibility on this visa too!) and also got a good reference too which helped us get a great rental here. With the housing market seeming so slow in the uk now is it worth you putting it on the market and getting a few feelers out now?

Lisa:cute:

Guest jill wright

Hi Lisa:D

Know what you mean about getting the house up for sale straight away.We thought with it been so near Christmas:biglaugh:It might be best putting it up late Jan early Feb.We're busy painting at mo and laying a new carpet in preparation for the sale. Yours is the perfect scenario though to sell and rent for a while cos the thought of receiving the precious visa then time running out as you wait to sell your house is another emigration worry.

Regarding the reference was it a character reference and who did you ask (hope you don't think I'm nooooosey!!!!)theres just alot to think about

Thanks Jill:o:o

Guest dglamoore

Hi Jill

The reference we had was a rental reference from the landlady - just stating how we looked after the house, condition, paid rent on time etc :cute:

Lisa:jiggy:

Guest Libby1971

Sorry to jump in but I just wanted to say that Lisa is the most supremely organised person I have ever met!

We weren't quite so organised but sorted a rental when we got and offset the fact that we couldn't find a reference by paying up front for a few months for the rental we had.

With regards to validating your visas, if you are flying one way with some airlines you can get extra baggage allowance. We got double courtesy of Singapore Airlines who were great.

Finding work depends on the area you in. Having an Aussie reference here is important. I was told that written references aren't viewed as that important as a few years ago there were issues with them being fakes (!) so they like a tel number to check with.

Good luck with sorting the house ready for selling, it is a big decision and we found it exciting and scary at the same time.

Libby

Guest jill wright

Hi Libby

Meet the world's most disorganised person in the world me!!!! If I manage to sort everthing and it run smoothly it will be a first but heres hoping. How do you get an Aussie reference though????How are you and your family finding Adelaide have you settled and feel to have made the right decision ?.Yes it is scary but more exciting and we find it hard to think about anything else.Our SA sponsorship should come through soon then we are gonna enjoy Christmas (you never know might be our last one in UK and believe you me won't miss this weather , today is a very grim dreary Saturday and when you've both worked all week not brilliant conditions for enjoyng your weekend). Then after Christmas SIRvisa applied for and house up for sale

Thanks for feedback

Jill Phil Lucy Daniel and Thomas

Guest Libby1971

Hi Jill

I had to work hard at trying to be organised myself!!!

We applied for and got Meet and Greet services as well as OAA. Meet and Greet, if you don't already know, is just that-someone comes to meet you at the airport and takes you to your accommodation. This service is provided through immigration/ tourist dept, I think (can't remember which one now) and in our case a lovely couple from Victor Harbor met us and then agreed to act as character references, you know, met them, talked with them, had a cup of tea etc.

Our family are settling well and Adelaide was def the right place to come to. We went to Brisbane last summer and although it was lovely it still didn't feel quite 'us'. Hubbie came over 25 years and liked it but the rest of us hadn't been until we arrived this year.

We spent 11 years trying to get -we went to uni and retrained as teachers etc to get here- was it worth it? Yes. Is it everything we hoped for our kids? Yes. Did we make the right the decision? Absolutely.

I think the waiting part of the whole process is the worst. It isn't too bad when you are scurrying around trying to do something but the waiting and waiting for the next stage is a killer. I hope things come through quickly for you.

Libby

Guest jill wright

Hi Libby,Bob and family

Thanks so much for your input. It means alot for people like you to share their experiences. It is such a daunting process and you know you want to do it but having input from people who have been there and feel its worth it helps the process along if you know what I mean. I have heard of the meet and greet service and its one we will def pursue as to land there and be on your own would be too much. We are very positive about getting state sponsorship as the TRA souns like a major hurdle . Will keep you posted

Jill Phil Lucy Daniel and Thomas (west yorkshire)

Guest Libby1971

Hi Jill

It does help to have advice, comments from Oz when you are in the UK. We all received help in one way shape or form and still are. It is nice to be able to help others. Karma if you will.

I just noticed where you are from - my dad was a Yorkshireman. Born and bred in Withernsea and Scarborough, he was.

Meet and Greet is free adn you can apply for that seperately from the OAA.

Libby

Guest jill wright

Hi Libby

It certainly does help to have advice from people already over there. This forum is proving to be a godsend!! How strange your Dad coming from Withernsea which is East Yorkshire, my mum and Dad live at Hornsea which is the next town along from Withernsea

Will keep you posted on our progress

Jill Phil Lucy Daniel and Thomas

Guest Libby1971

Bl**dy Hell!!!

Small world indeed...we used to live there!!!!!!:swoon:

Well blow me down with a feather. Oh I have just read that your children are older than I thought (sorry about that!) and are closer in age to my own. My girls are 11 and 14.

Whereabouts in Hornsea are they? We had 3 addresses there - 2 of which were opposite the Mere.

Libby x

Guest jill wright

Hi Can't believe that Libby what a small world indeed

Did you live there before you emigrated????if so how long ago.Mum and Dad live off cliff road westholme avenue which is the very last street off cliff road before Northcliffe caravan park and the boat yard!!!!The bungalow overlooks the sea(just hope it doesn't fall in like they tend to do!!!!) I know the mere well and have rowed round it a few times.My nieces live there too and are 12 and 17.

Spending the weekend there next week how long were you there??

Yes my kids are 15,11 and 6. We worry about the eldest two settling over there and wonder with my daughter being in her last year how she will stand with her gcses.Told her she might have another year of school to do over there which didn't go down well!!!.

Still trying to get over the fact your from Hornsea UNBELIEVABLE!!!!

The Wrights

Guest Libby1971

Hi

We lived on Hull Road (2 houses 5 doors apart - we moved house using a wheelbarrow, I kid you not) and Wilton Road. My grandparents lived up near your parents, off Cliff Road - I think it was Clifford Road/ Street. A long time ago - they moved to Hull Road too in 1981 - so my memory is not what it was. Before we bought one of our houses, I remember staying at that caravan park - or one of them, it used to have chalets.

We lived there on and off between spells abroad, spells in London (where my mum was from) and then moved down south in 1983. Stayed down south or abroad after that.

I cannot believe it either.

Like you we worried about our girls settling. Sophie has been fine, Emily was a worry and to be honest, at times a real pain in the a*se, playing the martyr, but she has settled down now. Once we bought somewhere and she was in a school where she felt she belonged, she was fine. Her friends are lovely and she is relaxed as I hoped she would be.

We have settled in an area where Emily can get the bus to the beach and to the city. We are also about 5 mins or so from the train station so in a really good position.

Libby xxx

P.S. I need a photo of sunset across the Mere! I still remember that, oh and the North Sea. The sea from the beach at Hornsea looks a grey sort of brown and is very rarely any other colour. My gran said we are at the beach and we will go paddling even if it was absolutely freezing. Nothing like the beaches here!

Guest jill wright

Hi Libby

Will try and get that photo of the sunset for you next week and maybe some shots of that North Sea if you give me your e mail address will forward them to you

JIll xx