Guest nic-manchester

Building Licence

Guest nic-manchester

Hello, can anyone tell me about the licencing requirements for building in SA.

My hubby is a bricklayer, and although he would be happy to work for someone else preliminary under their licence, it is something that long term we would want to possibly have our own licence and find and do work for ourselves.

I am just exploring the costs etc that would be involved and if it has to be renewed annually etc, correct me if I am wrong is it TAFE that you would have to obtain the licence from, and sit a test of some sort.

I think someone mentioned briefly to me about it before but I can't find the thread and really need to explore it in a bit mroe detail :cute:

Hi there,

For the licencing there are 2 components of the small business management course to complete (finance and law). It can be completed at TAFE although some of the builders that have stayed with me have done it through Master Builders Association.

It's a requirement when you apply for licencing with the Office of Consumer and Business Affairs

OCBA - Licensing

Another useful link is the Business Licence information Service Business Licence Information Service - South Australia

Tamara

Its a while since I done my licence 5\6 years and it cost about $1500 then so would say it would be round about $2000 now. You can do it at master builbers ,HIA or Tafe. You have to renew licence every year mines is due just now and is $179 for the year.

Guest m.jephcott

My husband is just about to submit his business course, he has choosen to do the distance learning course with TAFE. It cost around $450 and has taken about 3 months to complete. He also did an induction course for his white card this cost about $120 and was a one day course. He then needs to have a technical interview with ocba www.ocba.sa.gov.au and take a variety of evidence and do a police check and pay the fee. The fee varies depending what licence you want (or they will give you). He is a bricklayer by trade, but would like to have a licence to set up a small building business like he had in the UK allowing him to do other work as well (fingers crossed). He will hopefully be able to gain a licence in about 6 weeks.

Guest nic-manchester
    My husband is just about to submit his business course, he has choosen to do the distance learning course with TAFE. It cost around $450 and has taken about 3 months to complete. He also did an induction course for his white card this cost about $120 and was a one day course. He then needs to have a technical interview with ocba www.ocba.sa.gov.au and take a variety of evidence and do a police check and pay the fee. The fee varies depending what licence you want (or they will give you). He is a bricklayer by trade, but would like to have a licence to set up a small building business like he had in the UK allowing him to do other work as well (fingers crossed). He will hopefully be able to gain a licence in about 6 weeks.

Thankyou for your information it is very valued to us, I will look into websites and see if i can gain any more information.

Like you we would probalby want a licence which allows us to have a small building company and not restricted to just bricklaying, as he does other work in UK not just bricklaying although this is his main trade.

Once again thanks

Nicola

Guest smit
    Thankyou for your information it is very valued to us, I will look into websites and see if i can gain any more information.

Like you we would probalby want a licence which allows us to have a small building company and not restricted to just bricklaying, as he does other work in UK not just bricklaying although this is his main trade.

Once again thanks

Nicola

To be able to do other than this bricklaying, he would need a supervisors license which takes a lot more than a trade license.