Guest Paula H

Why choose Adelaide?

Guest Paula H

Never been to oz just wondered what pulled you guys to Adelaide over Brisbane or Perth?

Guest Guest75

Mrs Tyke had visited Adelaide years ago and loved it, impressed by it's cleanliness and quiet charm.

I've had a fascination with Oz since I can remember.

Our neighbour married an Aussie from South Australia,eventually we came out to see them and fell in love.

Very different to other cities here. Quieter and somewhat more relaxed.Family orientated.

Adelaide has her own character,spend time reading back through the posts on here.

I do worry that a lot of people come to South Australia because it's they only way they can get into Australia. It's very different here to other parts of Oz.

For a start it gets cold in winter and very hot and dry in summer (normally)

Guest Paula H

I do worry that a lot of people come to South Australia because it's they only way they can get into Australia. It's very different here to other parts of Oz.

sorry if im being thick but what do you mean by this? and Tyke its an honour ive heard you are THE person to contact for advice ;)

Guest Guest75

sorry if im being thick but what do you mean by this? and Tyke its an honour ive heard you are THE person to contact for advice ;)

:embarrassed: Duuno about THE person. I know nothing about the visa system really but will tell it how it is:eek:

It's two fold really. This is my quick and general reply - I'll give more detail later if need be. I have to go and actually do a bit of work soon!

1) South Australia does seem to give more chances of visas and she is still classed as regional. I have known a few people come across to SA for the required two years and then move on into states they originally wanted. I hear it's only a moral obligation as well and people have moved interstate earlier.

NB: this is in no way legal advice - just an observation.

2) SA is different to other cities.

We have four seasons , similar to a Mediterranean climate. It does surprise many people as to how cold it gets here. Not as if we have snow but might have the odd frost. There is little double glazing or central heating either!

Adelaide is still considered to be a "big country town". It has a little of this about her but also still retains that homely and family feel - which we love.

People have time for you, morals and manners still matter.

Can be a bit conservative - a lot of new products are tested in this state.

We have visited (and enjoyed) Darwin,Sydney and Melbourne. It was always nice to get back Home to Adelaide !

You really need to do as much research as possible, on here and on Poms In Oz.

Don't take just one person's advice, make your own mind up.

Big subject is this, which I am sure others will chip into .

Adelaide ........it takes a while to soak into your bones and mature and then it just becomes home and everything else is compared to it. Perth is very similar but less cosmopolitan, it has nice feel to it too.

The funny thing about Adelaide is that other states view it as slow and backwards but it's just not a brash in your face type of place. There are some really wealthy people here but you wouldn't always know who cos they are not flash with the cash. It has a history of being innovative and willing to embrace new things. Again on the surface this may not be apparent, but marketers know this and most new ranges are trialled in Ads because we'll actually bother to trial them. Plus Adelaide has had songs written about it.......

Ben Folds......

Adelaide

On a plane

Far from the united states

Of LA

Dropping in from outer space

Takes a day

Now I see the Bogans

At the motor race

Here you know the world could turn

Or crash and burn

And you would never know it

Going where the air is clear

There's better beer in Adelaide

Charlie L. Smith's forty

Someone spiked my rice

The rest, history

Now I am a fixture down

Rundle Mall

Watching as the locals pass

Silver balls

I can see their eyes are round

They're pointed down

They scan the spanning sidewalks

Learning that there is no hurry

Fuss or worry

Adelaide

Ah ah ah ah

Ah ah ah ah

Ah ah ah ah

Ah ah ah ah

It's raining

In Adelaide

A face is waiting in a window

A voice says

Why Adelaide

You could live anywhere and I say

Because I want to

Because I want to

I really really want to

And you know the earth could turn

Or crash and burn

And you would never know it

Really got to make it to the finish line

Get the record done on time

Pack the bags

And catch a flight

And you can kiss my ass goodbye

I'm in Adelaide

Adelaide

Adelaide

Adelaide

Hi Paula H

Just thought Id share our experiences of Adelaide and SA, in case the video link on the earlier post hasnt sold you!

Tyke might well "worry" about people coming to SA because it is their only option- thats because he is a bloody nice bloke who helps a LOT of people on their way here and once they arrive. Always gives good advice, while trying to remain unbiased, which is hard.

He also provides a great service with his short term accomodation options for new arrivals in SA. Thats how we met him and we are still good friends with him and Mrs Tyke. I dont think he likes to push that too much on here but its well worth considering if you are coming out here to live or for a recce visit. It was certainly a winner for us.

We were in the position where SA was one of our few options to migrate, due to the state sponsored visa options. We had travelled all over Australia previously, but never to SA for some reason??

We did a lot of research, and like many others decided to come here with a view to completing our two year visa requirement, and then moving off somewhere else if we didnt like it.

We landed in feb 2010.

Our first impressions when we got here??? Not so good really. We arrived at the end of a 10 year drought and everything was brown and dead looking- not the lush green of the east coast we had been used too.

Fortunately last winter was quite wet here, the drought has ended and its now a lovely place again.

Within a couple of weeks we started to find our way around , and everyday we discovered something we liked.

A vibrant, clean city centre, with history, well preserved old buildings, friendly approachable people, and more dining and socilaising options than you can imagine.

A great climate that makes you want to go outside every day-but with enough contrast in the seasons to really notice.

Last August was considered a very bad winter here. Why? because it didnt get above 20 degrees for the whole month! I can remember british summers like that!

It does get cool in winter for a couple of months though, so you appreciate when it warms up again.

As I write this, it is VERY stormy outside- about 20 degrees, but blowing a gale and raining a fair bit. But the forcast is 24 for sunday and 29 for monday, so it will pass in a few days....

We arrived in the middle of the "busy" sesason here- festivals, events, car races- something happening every weekend.

We spent about 3 months exploring Adelaide before we decided we should get out to work and earn some cash....We both got jobs we enjoy lined up within a few weeks of starting to look.

We went up into the Adelaide Hills- and wanted to live there.

We went to the city beaches- and wanted to live there too.

We ended up at Henley Beach- 15 minutes to the city, 10 minutes to the airport, 30 minutes to the Hills. And we love it.

We have decided to settle in Adelaide well prior to our two year stint being over- in fact we have just bought land to build on in the Adelaide Hills.

It isnt all beer and skittles though......

Property in Adelaide, while cheaper than other Australian capitals, is still VERY expensive now, especially if you take the current exchange rate into consideration. You can still get a lot for your money though in some places.

Most serious crime here makes the news, so it seems like there is a high crime level- in reality I think its far less than most UK cities. They do have some less desirable suburbs. (Nothing like the inner city slums in Nottingham where we're from though...

The QUALITY of life here though, is great. We spend so much lore time outdoors- you feel like you are ripping yourself off if you stay in.

Last weekend we watched an F-18 fighter plane fly a display over the city centre. We went for a ride on our push bikes along the coast, and had a late lunch at a marina. We are out with friends for dinner at a posh reaturant on the river this weekend, and next weekend we are off to watch my wifes favourite singer perform outdoors, in the middle of her favourite wine region. Sounds ok doesnt it?

My advice would be to do your research, come and have a recce visit, ask as many questions as possible, and then give it a go. If you dont love it, Ill be suprised.

We do.

My only other pearl of wisdom would be to open your mind when it comes to meeting people here. A lot of Brits come here, meet loads of other poms, and dont integrate into Adelaides massive variety of poeple and cultures, and miss out because of it.

Its fine to have pommie friends because you share history and culture with them, but try and meet as many "locals" as you can because you'll find out so much more about Australia that way. I say 'locals" because there are people here from all corners of the earth- and some of them have been here since the 1800's....

Hope some of this helps,

Jim.

Nicely put!

However, an alternative slant............ever one for controversy, me!

Maybe the guy was trying to STOP people coming here, so we can keep our lovely, if somewhat secret city to ourselves!!

I have heard many "tourists" (vics mostly) say "we didnt know it was like THIS"......and many locals reply, "yes, so dont tell anyone, we want to keep it this way"!

Can't blame them it is a nice place.

Thing here though, we have rubbish polies who cant get the heads out from their backsides; progress does seem a little slow................relying on Clipsal, TUD, womad and the like aint gonna cut it!!! CONSERVATIVE? to the point of STAID, imo........which is a bit slanted today.

In the main, SA is beautiful, clean, open and easy to get around; people are friendly, but the ever present "why Adelaide?" gets me down, even after 2 years.

So yes come to SA, stay a while, if you leave be positive about it, dont rubbish others aspirations and dreams..............

Jim

Brilliant post - one of the best I've read on here (and I read lots, trust me...)

If I had a bottle of champagne to hand out to Post of the Year you'd get it!!

Diane

Guest Guest75
    Jim

Brilliant post - one of the best I've read on here (and I read lots, trust me...)

If I had a bottle of champagne to hand out to Post of the Year you'd get it!!

Diane

In another forum,long,long ago............ We had a saying..................

"POTY"

Post Of The Year.

Got to say Jim's post is excellent and deserves a POTY.

He is level headed and not one for the dreaded rosy coloured glasses :cute:

Congrats on buying a little bit of Australia!!!

For us it was always going to be Adelaide - I was born here and still have relatives here. And I can honestly say, although it took almost 4 years and living in 4 different houses in 3 different suburbs :arghh:, I now feel more at home here than I ever did in the UK. I love the laid back approach here - apart from when your waiting in for a tradie :skeptical:(but that's a different story!) - and love the fact that most people judge you for who you are not what you have.

Just wanted to say hi Sally - long time no see! Great to hear how things are going with you.

Guest Paula H

Do you know other than seek and monster which sites we could look for work for my OH (Carpenter)

thanks

hi, i am still new to this forum but wanted to add to the "why adelaide""..........

we are waiting for our visas to be granted and cant wait to get to adelaide.......we started the whole process intent on victoria where i have several friends and offers of work....during this time, relatives of oh told us to come to adelaide........so we did, we came out last year for 3 weeks to gain as much info as we can....

i instantly felt at home......the whole atmosphere of the city and various suburbs, the friendliness of everyone we met was outstanding..total strangers happy to give you their time and nothing was too much trouble....

as a family, we felt safe and just had a good feeling that it could offer us the life we want but cannot have here in the uk......even after just 3 weeks (of doing touristy things, of doing routine things ) we felt that we didnt want to even go home.....i can honestly say that i could have there and then rented a home and just settled down.......

i dont expect things to be a bed of roses and we are prepared to come over (hopefully by the end of this year) and work as hard as we can and just embrace everything that adelaide can offer us....

this is just our thoughts but hope it helps!!!

kath (vet nurse)

shaun (electrician)

niall (15) billy (5)

meds booked 5th may 2011

visa hopefuly will follow!!

Guest Guest75

Thanks for such a nice post Kath!!!

:notworthy::D

hi, i am still new to this forum but wanted to add to the "why adelaide""..........

we are waiting for our visas to be granted and cant wait to get to adelaide.......we started the whole process intent on victoria where i have several friends and offers of work....during this time, relatives of oh told us to come to adelaide........so we did, we came out last year for 3 weeks to gain as much info as we can....

i instantly felt at home......the whole atmosphere of the city and various suburbs, the friendliness of everyone we met was outstanding..total strangers happy to give you their time and nothing was too much trouble....

as a family, we felt safe and just had a good feeling that it could offer us the life we want but cannot have here in the uk......even after just 3 weeks (of doing touristy things, of doing routine things ) we felt that we didnt want to even go home.....i can honestly say that i could have there and then rented a home and just settled down.......

i dont expect things to be a bed of roses and we are prepared to come over (hopefully by the end of this year) and work as hard as we can and just embrace everything that adelaide can offer us....

this is just our thoughts but hope it helps!!!

kath (vet nurse)

shaun (electrician)

niall (15) billy (5)

meds booked 5th may 2011

visa hopefuly will follow!!

Never been to oz just wondered what pulled you guys to Adelaide over Brisbane or Perth?

Hi Paula

In our case we like a mediteranian climate, Therefore Darwin and Cairns to humid, also Sydney too expensive, Brisbane maybe a little too humid and expensive, perth too far away from the other major Oz cities, Melbourne probably as wet as scotland.

Adelaide has a mediteranian like climate and is fairly small for a capital city ( which suits us personally)but there is still lots going on.

Upon researching a little further it has a good education system, Houses are a bit cheaper than in other parts of Oz

This was our starting point.

Easter 2009 went for a holiday and it was everything we expected and more. Loved it. came back determined to make it work, and it has been very hard work at times.

That is why we chose adelaide over the othe cities but everyone is different

Alan