Karen_Jon

Moving to Adelaide - where do we start?

Hi all,

We are so excited, our application has just been approved and we are awaiting our visas :o. We are movign to Adelaide form Manchester (UK), I am a primary teacher and my husband is a joiner / window fabricator and we have two beautiful girls (aged 6 and 8 months).

If anybody has any advice on the following, your thoughts and advise would be greatly appreciated.

We are unsure about where to reside - which areas are (NICE!) areas and middle of the road - not too expensive to rent?

Are there any teachers who can advise on securing a teaching job - can I apply from the UK or is it best to wait until I am in the country?

I'm presuming that once we have an idea of where we want to live we can then look at state schools for our 6 year old.

Will we need to set up a Australian bank account while we are in the UK?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Karen & Jon

Guest Pam777

Hi, congrats on your decision to move to Adelaide.

I too am from Manchester. I moved here with a 2 yr old and a 7 yr old nearly 6 years ago. best decision I have ever made. your kids are at a good age to adapt to the new life.

I live south of Adelaide and love the area, not far from beach and a short journey into the city.

I set up my bank account from the UK and just had to go for a meeting with the banks migration consultant when I arrived.

Good Luck!

Pam

I think Nick11 may be a primary school teacher (apologies to Nick11 if I'm wrong) so you could try by having a look through some of their previous posts: http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/member.php?u=68 click on Statistics, and then view previous posts or something like that!

There are great areas all around Adelaide, so it will really depend on where you'll be working. I'm in the Northeast and it's a lovely area, on the edge of the hills, 30 mins to the beach, 30 mins to the Barossa, 20 mins to the City, good schools, shops, transport, nice people, but honestly, only you can choose really! Look at Real Estate, Property, Land and Homes for Sale, lease and rent - realestate.com.au and the only guidelines really are if an area looks incredibly cheap, there is probably a good reason for that!

Guest littlem

Hi Karen & Jon

Cant really help on areas as we are not there yet, so would only be giving my research opinion. Adelaide looks fab and i think your kids are at the right age to adapt, ours are 5 and 8. Just wanted to say hello and that we are running a visa timeline thread on PIA so please come and join us. We are all in the same boat going to the unknown and we are all trying to make new friends to help with the move, were a nice bunch and very supportive, hope to see you on there.

Michelle

We too are from sunny Manchester (Hyde).

Where about's in Manchester are you?

We came over 17 months ago and have no urge to even visit Manchester.

Maybe when the children are older it would be nice to show them what they could of had!

We live down south in Aberfoyle Park, 30 min's from the city. 10 min's from the beach.

I would wait to see where you get work before thinking of an area to live.

Feel free to ask us any more questions you have we all were in your shoes at one time.

Rob and Mel

Thank you all for your encouraging comments. We are from Oldham in Manchester - a stones thow away from Hyde. We have a emigration company assisting us but still things feel a blur!!! I think you are quite right when you say it depends on work.

Does anybody know what the jobs market is like for manual work - building / window fitting / joinery / plastering etc. As after reading some posts regarding primary teachers I sense the job market is competitive - is that the case?

I would like to come out as soon as the visa is granted but I think hubby would like to come over for a visit and get visa activated - I'm not sure which would be the best! Any thoughts from people who have already emigrated would be fab.

Also, would you advise to bring most items with us e.g. white goods / beds / wardrobes? I read on a thread that these items are expensive in Australia - is that the case?

Sorry ....... SO many questions !!

Karen and Jon

Hi to you both! We're from Royton! Had our visa granted this month but not going anywhere fast as we still have our house to sell! arrggghhhh!

We're doing a validation trip in September and having a good look about, we'll be staying with friends from Shaw and Chadderton!

Hopefully you'll get your visa soon - it's a great feeling!

Lorna x

HLorna & Paul,

Wow, how uncanny, where are Royton? We are in Heyside (near Newbank Garden Centre). We are still debating what to do with our house - sell or rent?

Do you have children?

It would be good to meet up and chat - so much to discuss / share!

Karen & Jon

Guest WAITINGAME

Well am from Rochdale..Littleborough...all these Manchester people on here is great...When were all there we should arrange a Manc meet up...lol !!

Am interested in all the comments too what people are leaving, with medicals booked for next friday it shouldnt be too long for me either !

Thanks all

lindsey

Thank you all for your encouraging comments. We are from Oldham in Manchester - a stones thow away from Hyde. We have a emigration company assisting us but still things feel a blur!!! I think you are quite right when you say it depends on work.

Does anybody know what the jobs market is like for manual work - building / window fitting / joinery / plastering etc. As after reading some posts regarding primary teachers I sense the job market is competitive - is that the case?

I would like to come out as soon as the visa is granted but I think hubby would like to come over for a visit and get visa activated - I'm not sure which would be the best! Any thoughts from people who have already emigrated would be fab.

Also, would you advise to bring most items with us e.g. white goods / beds / wardrobes? I read on a thread that these items are expensive in Australia - is that the case?

Sorry ....... SO many questions !!

Karen and Jon

You sound just like me about 2yrs ago full of questions!! but thankfully you will find the answers on here!

I would suggest if you know you definitely want to move (you have applied for visa so that would indicate you do) then just do it!

We got our Visa end of Aug and organised the flights, house move etc in 11weeks or so arrived mid October!!

Given the weather this autumn it might be worth booking flights for the back end of this year and if your hubby is having doubts then arriving when it's cold might make him think twice. But to come on a reccie might be a waste of money unless you are really unsure?!?!?

If you can bring everything that you have as it is much easier to bring everything in a container of your own rather than share a container you usually get your stuff quicker and you don't have a delay.

Get some quotes for the major moving firms to give you a rough idea of cost etc

As for which area that is a minefield and given your jobs you could work anywhere. Not sure if you can apply for a job before hand but there is no harm in doing so as sometimes the jobs market can be a bit slow.

I think you need to have a rough idea N, S, E or W then you can narrow it down yourself, then look for a short term rental in that general area then look at long term rental prices etc then schools etc... yes it's a mine field but you have to work out your priorities commute over, beach and price and school!

Just take each step slowly and don't panic!

Good luck :)

Hi Karen,

We're just off Grasmere Road, near Firbank school! No children, just me and the hubby (carpenter). We've had the house up for sale for a year and no movement yet so just reduced the price, lets see if that helps! We have a validation trip booked for September and will get the chance to have a good look around. We got extra luggage allowance so will be leaving a few suitcases in our friend's house so we have more stuff out there before we can get there permanently and wait for a container to arrive. Deffo up for a 'meet' with you - would be good to exchange our stories so far and then be able to see you on the 'flip side' when we get there!

Lorna x