Suburbs and schools - Research

Rachiegarlo

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SOUTH PLYMPTON

TRANSPORT : City to Glenelg tram. Multiple bus routes including circle line., Train to city / Hallett Cove. Approx 15 mins drive to city. 10 mins to Glenelg/ Brighton beaches.

SHOPPING : Kmart, Target, Big W. all within 5 - 10 mis drive.

2 Coles supermarkets, 2 foodlands, a couple of small supermarkets that stay open til 11 nearby. Local small shops like butchers, asian grocers etc.

SCHOOLS : 2 kindies. 1 on its own in a cul-de-sac, 1 in a school.

Forbes primary school.

Zoned for William Light R - 12 for High school.

2 catholic primary schools

1 Christian R - 12 school - low fees - Emmaus College.

HOUSING : Mixed, mainly houses, some blocks of units, one or two blocks of flats. Average house price : low $400,000s. Some Housing trust housing in the area, but usually well kept up. Much of the housing built post war and in the 60s. Lots of modern houses on smaller blocks going up.

ENTERTAINMENT : Lots of little parks and playgrounds. A couple of gyms. The new Marion aquatic centre about 10 mins away. Marion outdoor pool 10 mins. Marion shopping Mall 10 mins away (bowling, cinemas). Lazer skirmish about 5 mins. Local scouts/ guides. Soccer clubs/ Footy clubs. Dance schools/Martial arts etc all available.

Pubs : The Avoca, The Maid of Auckland, The Highway...all within 20 mins walk or short drive.

Restaurants. Indian, Chinese, Nandos, MCds, Hungry Jacks, Pizza , Subway.

4 petrol stations.

Would I move here now? I've lived here for 15 years. In all that time the only thing that has happened is our car was pinched from the street, but we got it back, it was young kids. My teenage daughters feel safe walking around at night and it is fairly quiet. Like anywhere there is petty crime...breakins and so forth, but otherwise it's pretty quiet. I would definitely choose this suburb again as there is so much close by especially as my kids reached their teens, but weren't driving, they could access many places with public transport. We didn't use the schools as my kids were already at an excellent primary school when we bought here and they went to privates for senior school. The public schools in the area are changing upwardly in general and the catholic and christian schools are good.

Hello, thank you so much for this thread. I'm busy at the moment researching different suburbs. And I'm finding it really hard. They all seem to say the same thing. What I would also like to be added is, if you were just moving to a new area would you choose your current suburb to live in? Is there any rough areas or streets in that suburb to avoid?

Thank you

Thanks for starting this great thread. We have just been granted our visa, so its REAL now and like sharon i need to research the different suburbs. Its so difficult because where i currently live in the UK would probably not appear the most desirable place to live on paper(innercity area, lots of petty crime) however in reality its a gem of a place, good school fab park excellent community spirit. We have 2 children age 4 and 6 so ideally i would like somewhere with good transport links to the city and beach. Hallet Cove seems to be mentioned a lot ?? Are there any areas not yet so popular but with potential ?? Any ideas or advice gladly received Thanks Michelle

Guest Cara&Gav

Hi,

Thanks for telling us all about your town, it is the sort of information we all need. Like Sharon says it's hard to find 'real' information. Can anyone add any other areas such as Glenelg, Hallet Cove, Henly, Brighton? By the way we live 1/2 drive from Brighton in England! lol

Thanks

Cara x

Guest Cara&Gav
Hi

We also 40 mins drive from brighton in West Sussex

Great thread for us researching, lets hope lots add to it!

Beckyx

Cool, whereabouts are you? We are in Worthing.

Cara x

Guest rkerrison

We are in Rustington but grew up in Worthing!!

Have you done much research etc. Hubby going for reccie this summer can't really afford for all 5 of us to go!!!

When you hoping to be over?

Been researching suburbs etc, think we want to be in Woodcroft area, 10 mins from beach and 30 mins from city. Don't want to be too far away from city centre.- hubby loves pub culture as he is irish!!!!

Beckyx

PORT NOARLUNGA...Everything on your doorstep.

This suburb has everything that a family could want, and everywhere can be reached by walking. I do not know of any other suburb that has so much right on it's doorstep.

There'a a transport interchange at the large Noarlunga shoping centre. A train to the city takes between 37 and 40 minutes. The express trains take 27 to 29 minutes. The entire line is being upgraded. Diesel trains are being replaced by electric trains and everything will be brand new at the end of 2013. The southern expressway can be reached within a few minutes (top of Beach Road) and this reduces the travel time into the city. The expressway is currently being upgraded which will reduce travel times to the city and back.

Beaches: It's a seaside suburb with the most stunning sandy beach. The Port Noarlunga jetty and natural reef offer protected swimming. Anglers fish from the jetty and children and divers share the sea! You can walk there or reach them within a few minutes by car. The nearby Christies beach is dog friendly and your pets can run free in the sand and surf every day.

Port Noarlunga / Port Noarlunga South took the 2010/ 2011 award for Australia's cleanest beach. Over $8 million is being spent on new beachfront facilities. In 2013 Port Noarlunga was ranked in the top 101 beaches in Australia (out of nearly 9000 beaches!)

You can sit on the sheltered beachfront and eat fish and chips from the local fish shop.....less than 100m away in the Port Noarlunga village. You can have a drink and meal on the beachfront.

The Port Noarlunga life saving club have new facilities on the beachfront. You have peace of mind when the little ones are on the beach.

Shopping: Too much to list! All the major retailer are present in the centre as well as the big banks. The Noarlunga centre is within walking distance from the residential area and is 2 minutes by car. The shopping centre is connected to the transport interchange at Noarlunga.

Beach road in Christies Beach has Coles and Woolworths and many eateries and fast food outlets. The supermarkets are open from 7 till 9 and you don't even need a car to get there. There are liquor stores and drive in liquor stores. There are 24 hour petrol stations, convenience stores and fast food outlets.

Many teenagers find casual work at the fast food outlets and local shops especially over the festive period.

The village of Port Noarlunga has character. There are fish and chip shops, a post office, restaurants, vets, dive hire etc. There is a children's fort (Jubilee Park) and play area just across the Onkaparinga estuary and this has barbie and picknick facilities.

Schools: There are child care and kindy facilities in Port Noarlunga, Noarlunga centre and Christies Beach.

The Port Noarlunga primary school is very popular (my own grandson goes there!) and this school is being expanded and refurbished with $4 million due to the growing demand.

There is a Catholic primary school (St Johns) in nearby O Sullivans and a larger primary school in Beach road.

High schools and technical colleges include the Catholic Cardijn, Christies High, and Marcellin technical.

The Noarlunga TAFE is just a few minutes away and this offers so many courses for teenagers and adults. It's next door to the modern public library. Many new migrants enrol at TAFE to learn new skills or do components for their trade certificates.

Housing: Prices in the range of $300,000 up to million dollar properties for beachfront homes. The area is undergoing massive transformation with many 1960's homes being renovated or replaced with modern units. There is a large expat population and the adjoining suburb of Christies beach is also undergoing massive regeneration and upgrading. 25% of the residents in Christies were born in the UK! Prices are rising in this suburb and many properties are being converted into holiday accommodation. Redevelopment changes has created a boom suburb where older beach shacks are being replaced by modern double storey homes. Not only is it a great place to live...it's a great investment area too.

Entertertainment: The nearby (walkable!) Noarlunga entertainment precinct has a cinema complex, bowling, ice skating, large indoor pool and sports facility, and laser quest. A new gym has been open for a couple of years.

There is the floodlit footy sports oval in Noarlunga and the footy and cricket oval is in Christies. There are bowling clubs in Christies and Port Noarlunga, local RSL clubs with functions and live music, tennis courts, canoeing on the Onkaparinga river. There are hotels, restaurants, and pubs in the Port Noarlunga village. There are Indian, Chinese, pasta eateries and pub food all on your doorstep.

Other facilities: There are local doctors and a hospital at Noarlunga. The GP super clinic has been completed and is part of the health village. There are surf lifsaving associations, launch sites on the beaches and local dive facilities. There are great fishing spots on the river, from the jetty or from boats launched from O Sullivans beach. The water is calm and protected and the kids swim, surf and body board in safety. There are loads of parks and playgrounds, tennis courts and sport facilities. The infrastructure is good with high speed internet from many service providers. It's a safe, in demand suburb and many new migrants decide to live around here.

Would I still choose to live here now?

Absolutely!

I look out on the stunning estuary and sea every day and am thankful for being able to live in such a stunning location. I also have the McLarenvale wine region just a few km away.(9km)

I bought my Port Noarlunga house 6 years ago after being in Oz for 3 weeks! I have another home in Port Noarlunga and my daughter lives in Port Noarlunga! My teenage son works at the local Noarlunga centre and my other teenage son is attending the local Noarlunga TAFE. I walk (run!) my energetic boxer (Dutchess) on the beach nearly every day. I take my grandchildren to the beach, the local pool, the shops, the parks....my entire world is on my doorstep.

It's safe to walk the streets and i don't worry about crime. The people are so friendly and my decision to live here was totally right.

I honestly wouldn't want to live anywhere else in Adelaide than in Port Noarlunga.

Edited by Tamara (Homes Down Under)

Guest Cara&Gav
PORT NOARLUNGA

This suburb has everything and everywhere can be reached by walking. I do not know of any other suburb that has so much right on it's doorstep.

There'a a transport interchange at the large Noarlunga shoping centre. A train to town takes 40 minutes. The southern expressway can be reached within a few minutes and this reduces the travel time into the city.

Beaches: It's a seaside suburb with the most stunning sandy beach, jetty and reef protected swimming. Anglers fish from the jetty and children and divers share the sea! You can walk there or reach them within a few minutes by car. The nearby Christies beach is dog friendly and your pets can run free in the sand and surf every day.

Port Noarlunga / Port Noarlunga South took the 2010 award for Australia's cleanest beach. Over $8 million is being spent on new beachfront facilities.

Shopping: Too much to list! The Noarlunga centre is within walking distance and is 2 minutes by car.

Beach road in Christies Beach has Coles and Woolworths and many eateries and fast food outlets. The supermarkets are open from 6 till 9 and you don't even need a car. There are liquor stores and drive in liquor stores. There are 24 hour petrol stations, convenience stores and fast food outlets..

The village of Port Noarlunga has character. There are fish and chip shops, a post office, restaurants, vets, dive hire etc. There is a childrens fort and play area just accross the Onkaparinga estuary and this has barbie and picknick facilities.

Schools: There are child care and kindy facilities in Port Noarlunga, Noarlunga centre and Christies Beach.

The Port Noarlunga primary school is very popular (my own grandson will be going there!) and this school is being expanded and refurbished with $4 million due to the growing demand.

There is a Catholic primary school (St Johns) in nearby O Sullivans and a primary school in beach road.

High schools and technical colleges include the Catholic Cardijn, Christies High, and Marcellin technical.

The Noarlunga TAFE is just a few minutes away and this offers so many courses for teenagers and adults. It's next door to the modern public library.

Housing: Prices in the range of $350,000 up to million dollar properties for beachfront homes. The area is undergoing massive transformation with many 1960's homes being renovated or replaced with modern units. There is a large expat population and the adjoining suburb of Christies beach is where 25% of the residents were born in the UK! Prices are rising in this suburb and many properties are being converted into holiday accommodation.

Entertertainment: The nearby (walkable!) Noarlunga entertainment precinct has a cinema complex, bowling, ice skating, large indoor pool and sports facility, and laser quest. A new gym has just opened.

There is the floodlit footy sports oval in Noarlunga and the footy and cricket oval in Christies. There are bowling clubs in Christies and Port Noarlunga, tennis courts, canoeing on the Onkaparinga river,There are hotels, restaurants, and pubs in the Port Noarlunga village. There are Indian, Chinese, pasta eateries and pub food all on your doorstep.

Other facilities: There are local doctors, the Noarlunga hospital and the soon to be completed health village.There is surf lifsaving associations, launch sites on the beaches and local dive facilities. There are great fishing spots on the river, from the jetty or from boats launched from O Sullivans beach. The water is calm and protected and the kids swim, surf and body board in safety. There are loads of parks and playgrounds, tennis courts and sport facilities. The infrastructure is good with high speed internet from many service providers.

Absolutely!

I look out on the stunning estuary and sea every day and am thankfull for being able to live in such a stunning location. I have the McLarenvale wine region just a few km away.

I bought my PortNoarlunga house 4 years ago after being in Oz for 3 weeks! I have just bought another home in Port Noarlunga and my daughter lives in Port Noarlunga! My teenage son works at the local Noarlunga centre and my other teenage son is attending the local Noarlunga TAFE. I walk (run!) my energetic boxer (Dutchess) on the beach nearly every day. I take my grandchildren to the beach, the local pool, the shops, the parks....my entire world is on my doorstep.

It's safe to walk the streets and i don't worry about crime. The people are so friendly and my decision to live here was totally right.

I honestly wouldn't want to live anywhere else in Adelaide than in Port Noarlunga.

Thank you for the great post, sounds like a lovely place to live, will defnitely consider it.

Cara x

Guest Cara&Gav
Great thread all. Thanks for this. Defo adding to my favourites!! Hope lots more people post.

Hi,

How do you add to your favorites?

Cara x

Guest Amanda12

Hi Cara

Once you've posted on a thread, you are subscribed to it as a fave until you unsubscribe. On tapatalk for your iphone, you get s faces icon when you go onto the app so I just go straight there and all my subscribed threads are there. :)

I agree with Shaun and tamara,Port Noarlunga is the best suburb for us(we are a young family of 5) There is everything here...why would you want to live anywhere else??

Port Noarlunga is voted the 4th best suburb in Adelaide and has a percentage rating of 94% ,check it out on www.realestate.com.au ,great for kids,has nice beaches and has lots of things to do!!

Guest shella_n

Weve been living in Mawson Lakes for 10 months now and although we are moving on I thought Id post my findging so that others can benefit

Beaches: It'sa 20 moniute drive to Semaphore. The beach is great if youve got little ones as you can go quite far out as its nice and shallow and you dont need to worry too much about waves etc. There are several sailing clubs nearby as well if you are into that.

Shopping: We are about 10 minutes away from Tea Tree Plaza - this has all the normal shops that you would expect plus a cinema. 5 minutes away is a smaller shopping centre - Ingle Farm with all your local shopping needs and also has a bowling alley.

Schools: The local primary school is ....ok. Apparently it is almost one of the largest in the state. Its Naplan results are reasonable. My daughter has an excellent teacher this year but I know some of my friends have issues with the quality of teaching higher up the school. One issue for me is that the creek runs trough the centre of the school and when it floods it is very worrying.

There is also an excellent kindy on site but unfortunately there are not enough places to go round. Ditto the childcare centre which on site at the school too.

The Luthern school in nearby Para Visa (Good Shepherd) has an EXCELLENT reputation and I know many who have taken their kids out and sent then there.

That is a pathway to the secondry school Endeavour College which is here in Mawson Lakes but that is private and im not sure of the fees.

Housing: The houses are all lovely and driving around is nice as all the houses are new and well kept. The Council keeps the common areas very well and there is always a team of blokes around cutting grass, weeding etc.

The houses though are expensive. For $350 you would get a small 3 bedroom with a courtyard garden. If you had around $550-$600 you could get a nice 4 bedroom on a decent sized block probably with a pool.

Other facilities: There are local doctors, vets, shopping etc right here in Mawson Lakes. There are always lots of community activities which are great. For swimming lessons we go to Parafield Gardens which is Excellent and about 10 mins drive away. There is a fantastic cafe type restaurant - The Boatdeck - here in ML and when my parents ate there they though it was far better than the most expensive restaurarant they go to at home.

On the down side the Unis is here and it drives me CRAZY in term time when I cant park to get my shopping at Woolworths cause all the damn students parked there.

The mozzie issue - yes, I did get bitten in the spring and had to waer lotion all the time but apart from that I dont think its an issue.

Another plus - its only 20 mins to the CBD.

Thats about it for now but if anyone has any specific questions please feel free to pm me.

Michelle

Guest littlem

Wow Tamara, i'm sold :-))) sounds wonderful, it has everything we are looking for but, my OH will probably we working in the city, can you advise what its like to drive in at rush hour. Is it stop start traffic etc? He has a long commute now with the M3 and M25 so dont think he would be impressed if i moved him to the other side of the world and his commute got longer Lol!

Thanks

Michelle

PORT NOARLUNGA

This suburb has everything and everywhere can be reached by walking. I do not know of any other suburb that has so much right on it's doorstep.

There'a a transport interchange at the large Noarlunga shoping centre. A train to town takes 40 minutes. The southern expressway can be reached within a few minutes and this reduces the travel time into the city.

Beaches: It's a seaside suburb with the most stunning sandy beach, jetty and reef protected swimming. Anglers fish from the jetty and children and divers share the sea! You can walk there or reach them within a few minutes by car. The nearby Christies beach is dog friendly and your pets can run free in the sand and surf every day.

Port Noarlunga / Port Noarlunga South took the 2010 award for Australia's cleanest beach. Over $8 million is being spent on new beachfront facilities.

Shopping: Too much to list! The Noarlunga centre is within walking distance and is 2 minutes by car.

Beach road in Christies Beach has Coles and Woolworths and many eateries and fast food outlets. The supermarkets are open from 6 till 9 and you don't even need a car. There are liquor stores and drive in liquor stores. There are 24 hour petrol stations, convenience stores and fast food outlets..

The village of Port Noarlunga has character. There are fish and chip shops, a post office, restaurants, vets, dive hire etc. There is a childrens fort and play area just accross the Onkaparinga estuary and this has barbie and picknick facilities.

The Port Noarlunga primary school is very popular (my own grandson will be going there!) and this school is being expanded and refurbished with $4 million due to the growing demand.

There is a Catholic primary school (St Johns) in nearby O Sullivans and a primary school in beach road.

The Noarlunga TAFE is just a few minutes away and this offers so many courses for teenagers and adults. It's next door to the modern public library.

Housing: Prices in the range of $350,000 up to million dollar properties for beachfront homes. The area is undergoing massive transformation with many 1960's homes being renovated or replaced with modern units. There is a large expat population and the adjoining suburb of Christies beach is where 25% of the residents were born in the UK! Prices are rising in this suburb and many properties are being converted into holiday accommodation.

Entertertainment: The nearby (walkable!) Noarlunga entertainment precinct has a cinema complex, bowling, ice skating, large indoor pool and sports facility, and laser quest. A new gym has just opened.

There is the floodlit footy sports oval in Noarlunga and the footy and cricket oval in Christies. There are bowling clubs in Christies and Port Noarlunga, tennis courts, canoeing on the Onkaparinga river,There are hotels, restaurants, and pubs in the Port Noarlunga village. There are Indian, Chinese, pasta eateries and pub food all on your doorstep.

Other facilities: There are local doctors, the Noarlunga hospital and the soon to be completed health village.There is surf lifsaving associations, launch sites on the beaches and local dive facilities. There are great fishing spots on the river, from the jetty or from boats launched from O Sullivans beach. The water is calm and protected and the kids swim, surf and body board in safety. There are loads of parks and playgrounds, tennis courts and sport facilities. The infrastructure is good with high speed internet from many service providers.

Absolutely!

I look out on the stunning estuary and sea every day and am thankfull for being able to live in such a stunning location. I have the McLarenvale wine region just a few km away.

I bought my PortNoarlunga house 4 years ago after being in Oz for 3 weeks! I have just bought another home in Port Noarlunga and my daughter lives in Port Noarlunga! My teenage son works at the local Noarlunga centre and my other teenage son is attending the local Noarlunga TAFE. I walk (run!) my energetic boxer (Dutchess) on the beach nearly every day. I take my grandchildren to the beach, the local pool, the shops, the parks....my entire world is on my doorstep.

Guest shella_n
Wow Tamara, i'm sold :-))) sounds wonderful, it has everything we are looking for but, my OH will probably we working in the city, can you advise what its like to drive in at rush hour. Is it stop start traffic etc? He has a long commute now with the M3 and M25 so dont think he would be impressed if i moved him to the other side of the world and his commute got longer Lol!

Thanks

Michelle

Hi Michelle

We are relocating down there and from the research ive done it will realistically be 40 mins - 1 hour. Hope that helps.

Michelle

Guest littlem
Hi Michelle

We are relocating down there and from the research ive done it will realistically be 40 mins - 1 hour. Hope that helps.

Michelle

Thanks Michelle, will that be 40-1 hr by car? Sorry for all the questions is that due to distance or is it the amount of traffic, what would be the commute time non rush hour?

Thanks for your help

Michelle

Guest shella_n
Thanks Michelle, will that be 40-1 hr by car? Sorry for all the questions is that due to distance or is it the amount of traffic, what would be the commute time non rush hour?

Thanks for your help

Michelle

yup by car. I dont think its a distance thing - its mainly the traffic on south road (?) which ive heard can be terrible. Im planning on going on the train (when its up and running again) which takes 40 mins. I'd say non commute time is half an hour.

No worries about the questions - feel free :)

The train trip from the Noarlunga interchange takes 40 minutes to the city. I have friends who stay in Seaford and they drive to the park and go and commute in every day. The line is presently being extended to Seaford.

It's really quite difficult to put a time on the commute by car due to the "infamous southern expressway'! If you live in Port Noarlunga you will pick up the expressway at the top of Beach road...just a few minutes from the residential area BUT...it's reversible! It flows to the city on a morning and then changes direction at around mid day and then flows back to the southern suburbs. If you flow with the freeway the commuting time could be 20 minutes less than if you drive on South Road or Dyson Road.

The funding for the expressway to be upgraded to 4 lanes (2 in each direction) has been approved and work has begun so that will be sorted at long last.

Traffic here is not that heavy in comparison to Perth, Melbourne and Sydney and it's nothing like the traffic overseas. The Noarlunga to city line is presently being upgraded (there's lots of work going on in this city!) as Adelaide is the only capital city to be running diesel locomotives. It's all being replaced with electrification, new lines, engines and rolling stock so it should be a pleasant trip when completed. The central train station is served by a free tram network so if you don't have to drive in to the city...don't!

Tamara

Guest jools123

hi tamara,

thanks for taking the time to give us all this info its much apreciated, we are looking at heading to port noarlunga, i have been looking into the primary schools with special needs attached as my 5 yr old is having some difficulties, also wanted to ask as i am a hairdresser is there much work around. im wondering as well it looks quite hard to pick up a rentel in this area is that true.

sorry about all the questions its so hard to get perspective from the uk.......

jools x

Hi Jools,

I am not sure whether the Port Noarlunga primary has a special needs section. The head of the school governing body was posting on this site (also lives in Port Noarlunga and wouldn't want to live anywhere else!). I am going to get school info packs for the houses...I will get hold of her and get back to you on that one.

I am a hairdresser! I migrated here as a hairdresser 4 years ago. There is plenty of work for hairdressers and there are many salons around here especially in the Noarlunga centre. I work at the Marion centre ( I got the job when I arrived and I work with great people so I never moved to a closer salon!) which is 17 minutes away when the expressway is in my favour and 25 when it's not. I work for a company called Just Cuts (they are on the web) and as the name suggests...I just do cutting .....which is a relief after years of chemical salons. The pay is pretty poor for hairdressers though...between $17 and $22 per hour.

Any other info..just pm me or send me an e mail to homesdownunder@yahoo.com.au

Tamara

It shows on google maps that its 40 minutes to the city from Port Noarlunga on the southern express way.Every one usually leaves there car at the train station and takes the trains. Unless you work in the city you never really go there because you have everything you need on your door step!

Hi all...

Very nice thread....

We are looking for a good place to live in Adelaide.

What about Andrews Farm and Munno Para West

Considering style of life, parks,commute, primary schools, distance from Universities, shopping centres, restaurants, hospitals (family of 3 nowadays with a boy age of 6, also planning a new baby soon)

We lived 2years ago in Tarneit VIC, around Melbourne and we loved.

Thanks all in advance