Suburbs and schools - Research

Rachiegarlo

Hi Satish

Norwood is a fantastic area to live in - schools around this area are very good. Marryatville high school has a very good reputation and that is a public school but has a very 'small zone'. There is Glenunga International school which I personally think is very good as my two sons went there and did very well - that too is a public school. All around the 'eastern suberbs' the public schools are great and there are a number of private schools which I am told have a very good reputation. Nodoubt there are people on here who are able to give more info regarding schools....

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PORT NOARLUNGA

This suburb has everything and everywhere can be reached by walking. I do not know of any other suburb that has so much right on it's doorstep.

There'a a transport interchange at the large Noarlunga shoping centre. A train to town takes 40 minutes. The southern expressway can be reached within a few minutes and this reduces the travel time into the city.

Beaches: It's a seaside suburb with the most stunning sandy beach, jetty and reef protected swimming. Anglers fish from the jetty and children and divers share the sea! You can walk there or reach them within a few minutes by car. The nearby Christies beach is dog friendly and your pets can run free in the sand and surf every day.

Port Noarlunga / Port Noarlunga South took the 2010 award for Australia's cleanest beach. Over $8 million is being spent on new beachfront facilities.

Shopping: Too much to list! The Noarlunga centre is within walking distance and is 2 minutes by car.

Beach road in Christies Beach has Coles and Woolworths and many eateries and fast food outlets. The supermarkets are open from 6 till 9 and you don't even need a car. There are liquor stores and drive in liquor stores. There are 24 hour petrol stations, convenience stores and fast food outlets..

The village of Port Noarlunga has character. There are fish and chip shops, a post office, restaurants, vets, dive hire etc. There is a childrens fort and play area just accross the Onkaparinga estuary and this has barbie and picknick facilities.

Schools: There are child care and kindy facilities in Port Noarlunga, Noarlunga centre and Christies Beach.

The Port Noarlunga primary school is very popular (my own grandson will be going there!) and this school is being expanded and refurbished with $4 million due to the growing demand.

There is a Catholic primary school (St Johns) in nearby O Sullivans and a primary school in beach road.

High schools and technical colleges include the Catholic Cardijn, Christies High, and Marcellin technical.

The Noarlunga TAFE is just a few minutes away and this offers so many courses for teenagers and adults. It's next door to the modern public library.

Housing: Prices in the range of $350,000 up to million dollar properties for beachfront homes. The area is undergoing massive transformation with many 1960's homes being renovated or replaced with modern units. There is a large expat population and the adjoining suburb of Christies beach is where 25% of the residents were born in the UK! Prices are rising in this suburb and many properties are being converted into holiday accommodation.

Entertertainment: The nearby (walkable!) Noarlunga entertainment precinct has a cinema complex, bowling, ice skating, large indoor pool and sports facility, and laser quest. A new gym has just opened.

There is the floodlit footy sports oval in Noarlunga and the footy and cricket oval in Christies. There are bowling clubs in Christies and Port Noarlunga, tennis courts, canoeing on the Onkaparinga river,There are hotels, restaurants, and pubs in the Port Noarlunga village. There are Indian, Chinese, pasta eateries and pub food all on your doorstep.

Other facilities: There are local doctors, the Noarlunga hospital and the soon to be completed health village.There is surf lifsaving associations, launch sites on the beaches and local dive facilities. There are great fishing spots on the river, from the jetty or from boats launched from O Sullivans beach. The water is calm and protected and the kids swim, surf and body board in safety. There are loads of parks and playgrounds, tennis courts and sport facilities. The infrastructure is good with high speed internet from many service providers.

Would I still choose to live here now?

Absolutely!

I look out on the stunning estuary and sea every day and am thankfull for being able to live in such a stunning location. I have the McLarenvale wine region just a few km away.

I bought my PortNoarlunga house 4 years ago after being in Oz for 3 weeks! I have just bought another home in Port Noarlunga and my daughter lives in Port Noarlunga! My teenage son works at the local Noarlunga centre and my other teenage son is attending the local Noarlunga TAFE. I walk (run!) my energetic boxer (Dutchess) on the beach nearly every day. I take my grandchildren to the beach, the local pool, the shops, the parks....my entire world is on my doorstep.

It's safe to walk the streets and i don't worry about crime. The people are so friendly and my decision to live here was totally right.

I honestly wouldn't want to live anywhere else in Adelaide than in Port Noarlunga.

hi tamara

thank u for the detailed valuable information u have given about Port Noarluna.

what is the rent for houses per week there. can we get houses for 100 $to 200 $ perweek?

Hi there,

I think that you will be very fortunate to get any property for between $100 to $200per week and the condition of the property may be very questionable at that rate.

I have a friend who did rent a house in Port Noarlunga for $200 per week...she moved 4 months ago and the property has been relet. Stunning views over the estuary but to be honest the house needs to be demolished! It was part of a deceased estate and the son just wanted to get some income before selling it (when property pices stabilise).

I am not too sure whether there are many rentals in that range in other areas.? My sons are busy looking for a rental at the moment and they need to be in the Hackam East area due to work. The rentals they are looking at range from $240 to $300 per week.

In Port Noarlunga I would expect that you would pay between $260 and $400 with most being about the mid mark of $330 depending upon size, location, condition etc.

Hope that this helps.

Tamara

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest TheBritishAussie

Adelaide Hills, Norwood, Magill, Blackwood, Brighton, Burnside etc are great areas with very good reputations.

AVOID Elizabeth, Deveron Park, Salisbury, Noarlunga, Port Noarlunga and Christies Beach. These are the more dangerous/unfavorable areas of Adelaide Suburbs!!

Adelaide Hills, Norwood, Magill, Blackwood, Brighton, Burnside etc are great areas with very good reputations.

AVOID Elizabeth, Deveron Park, Salisbury, Noarlunga, Port Noarlunga and Christies Beach. These are the more dangerous/unfavorable areas of Adelaide Suburbs!!

Avoid Port Noarlunga? It sounds amazing going by what Tamara said above!!?!?!

Avoid Port Noarlunga? It sounds amazing going by what Tamara said above!!?!?!

Which shows that everyone's tastes are different and one man's meat is another's poison! By all means read what others say about places, but the only way you will know what is right for you is by checking a place out for yourself and your family when you get here!!

HAPPY VALLEY

We have been living in Happy Valley for 4 months and love it. It is 10 minutes from Hallett Cove and Marion for shopping and about 20mins from Noarlunga and the City. Schools here are good. I have not heard anything bad about them. My 2 go to Braeview and they have been so accommodating and helpful.

There is a little shopping centre which has McDonalds, Off licence, Post Office, Foodland, Chemist, Newsagent, Bakers Delight, Dry Cleaner,barber, Hairdresser, cheap as Chips, 2 estate agents, cafe and a Mitre 10.

There is a good bus service here which is great too.

House prices are good compared with other suburbs.

Oh and we get lots of Kangaroos and Koalas here too!!!

Jo

• 2 months later...
Guest sithewindows
PORT NOARLUNGA

This suburb has everything and everywhere can be reached by walking. I do not know of any other suburb that has so much right on it's doorstep.

There'a a transport interchange at the large Noarlunga shoping centre. A train to town takes 40 minutes. The southern expressway can be reached within a few minutes and this reduces the travel time into the city.

Beaches: It's a seaside suburb with the most stunning sandy beach, jetty and reef protected swimming. Anglers fish from the jetty and children and divers share the sea! You can walk there or reach them within a few minutes by car. The nearby Christies beach is dog friendly and your pets can run free in the sand and surf every day.

Port Noarlunga / Port Noarlunga South took the 2010 award for Australia's cleanest beach. Over $8 million is being spent on new beachfront facilities.

Shopping: Too much to list! The Noarlunga centre is within walking distance and is 2 minutes by car.

Beach road in Christies Beach has Coles and Woolworths and many eateries and fast food outlets. The supermarkets are open from 6 till 9 and you don't even need a car. There are liquor stores and drive in liquor stores. There are 24 hour petrol stations, convenience stores and fast food outlets..

The village of Port Noarlunga has character. There are fish and chip shops, a post office, restaurants, vets, dive hire etc. There is a childrens fort and play area just accross the Onkaparinga estuary and this has barbie and picknick facilities.

Schools: There are child care and kindy facilities in Port Noarlunga, Noarlunga centre and Christies Beach.

The Port Noarlunga primary school is very popular (my own grandson will be going there!) and this school is being expanded and refurbished with $4 million due to the growing demand.

There is a Catholic primary school (St Johns) in nearby O Sullivans and a primary school in beach road.

High schools and technical colleges include the Catholic Cardijn, Christies High, and Marcellin technical.

The Noarlunga TAFE is just a few minutes away and this offers so many courses for teenagers and adults. It's next door to the modern public library.

Housing: Prices in the range of $350,000 up to million dollar properties for beachfront homes. The area is undergoing massive transformation with many 1960's homes being renovated or replaced with modern units. There is a large expat population and the adjoining suburb of Christies beach is where 25% of the residents were born in the UK! Prices are rising in this suburb and many properties are being converted into holiday accommodation.

Entertertainment: The nearby (walkable!) Noarlunga entertainment precinct has a cinema complex, bowling, ice skating, large indoor pool and sports facility, and laser quest. A new gym has just opened.

There is the floodlit footy sports oval in Noarlunga and the footy and cricket oval in Christies. There are bowling clubs in Christies and Port Noarlunga, tennis courts, canoeing on the Onkaparinga river,There are hotels, restaurants, and pubs in the Port Noarlunga village. There are Indian, Chinese, pasta eateries and pub food all on your doorstep.

Other facilities: There are local doctors, the Noarlunga hospital and the soon to be completed health village.There is surf lifsaving associations, launch sites on the beaches and local dive facilities. There are great fishing spots on the river, from the jetty or from boats launched from O Sullivans beach. The water is calm and protected and the kids swim, surf and body board in safety. There are loads of parks and playgrounds, tennis courts and sport facilities. The infrastructure is good with high speed internet from many service providers.

Would I still choose to live here now?

Absolutely!

I look out on the stunning estuary and sea every day and am thankfull for being able to live in such a stunning location. I have the McLarenvale wine region just a few km away.

I bought my PortNoarlunga house 4 years ago after being in Oz for 3 weeks! I have just bought another home in Port Noarlunga and my daughter lives in Port Noarlunga! My teenage son works at the local Noarlunga centre and my other teenage son is attending the local Noarlunga TAFE. I walk (run!) my energetic boxer (Dutchess) on the beach nearly every day. I take my grandchildren to the beach, the local pool, the shops, the parks....my entire world is on my doorstep.

It's safe to walk the streets and i don't worry about crime. The people are so friendly and my decision to live here was totally right.

I honestly wouldn't want to live anywhere else in Adelaide than in Port Noarlunga.

I will be searching for Port Noarlunga on realestate next, sounds great.

• 1 month later...
Guest Charl.M

Great thread. Thanks for the info. As cannot decide for thr life of me where to start. We like the look of everywhere from port noarlunga rite the way up to glen elg. They all seem lovely!!!

Aberfoyle Park

Suburb details:

This suburb has everything most people need and the beaches are only about 20 minutes away (Noarlunga and Christies to the south and Brighton, Glenelg and Seacliffe slightly north). The hills are beautiful with lots of wildlife and great views. You are not far from Marion Shopping Mall and Flinders Hospital and McLaren Vale is less than half an hour away via the picturesque Onkaparinga National Park and villages of Clarendon and Kangarilla.

There'a a transport interchange (free Park and Ride) at the Hub with bus routes to the City via Goodwood Road or you can drive in via South Road, Marion Road etc. They run free buses from here (Footie Xpress) to AMMI stadium, near West Lakes) for AFL games too.

Shopping: Coles, Woolworths and Foodland, independant greengrocers/butcher/baker etc. and many eateries and fast food outlets. The supermarkets are open slightly shorter hours than nearer the city but that's not a problem for most people. There are liquor stores and a Caltex petrol station. There is a pub, medical centre - with dentist/pysio/doctors etc, community centre, sports hall and hardware shop behind the main shopping centres.

Schools: We're grandparents and our grandchildren live in another suburb (Blackwood/Coromandel) so we don't have much local knowledge but there is Aberfoyle High and numerous fee paying, ordinary and Christian Primary Schools.

Sports & Leisure facilities:

There are excellent facilities at Happy Valley Sports Park (in Aberfoyle) with tennis, footie, bowls, cricket clubs, BMX track etc and a large gym and swim centre nearer Happy Valley. There are numerous small reserves with swings etc and BBQs (free electric) There are also walking and cycle tracks and a dog walking park.

Other nearby suburbs are Flagstaff Hill, Craigburn Farm, Coromandel and Happy Valley with Blackwood and Belair a little nearer the city but still high in the hills.

There are lots of families in this area and house prices are reasonable - cheaper than Blackwood and similar to Hallett Cove/Noarlunga - check out http://www.realestate.com.au/buy/in-aberfoyle+park%3b+/list-1?preferredState=sa for rental and house prices in the area. Many houses have pools so being close to the sea is not always a priority.

We've lived here 18 months and love it. It suits our lifestyle being older and without children at home. It still feels like a holiday - I can't believe our luck!

Edited by jtct

• 3 weeks later...

Wonderful thread. Thanks everybody for their posts. Highly appreciate if anybody can share any information on Gilles Plains, Park Holme and Woodwille North. How these suburbs for a family.We're a family with 2 kids 6 and 3 yrs, hoping to arrive in Adelaide within couple of months and we need to enroll our elder one in a good, probably a public primary school. I've heard about Vandana Primarry school in Gilles plains, Ascot park Primary school in Park Holme and Woodwille Garden School in Woodwille Garden. How about these schools are there any better schools than these in those suburbs.

Thank You.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest NewInOz

To anyone who is interested, I am happy to provide the latest property data and property news available for any suburb, FREE of charge, plus mapping tools and demographic information. If you are thinking of selling, buying, or investing in property in any suburb of Adelaide, then a suburb snapshot is crucial reading. Property price and rental data for any particular suburb is provided by RP Data, which I subscribe to, which is gleaned from Realestate.com but with greater detail. Just send me your contact details by way of a private message and I will email you the report for he suburb(s) you are interested in.

• 1 month later...
Guest sid1110

Hi!

I thank everyone for providing details for the various suburbs of Adelaide.

This information will help me for renting a house when i come there in Aug/Sep this year.

-Sid

GLENELG

TRANSPORT : One of the best areas in Adelaide for public transport. Tram to city and inner western suburbs from 5am ish to 1am ish at least every 20 mins (at little less at night/sundays but still very regular). Also on lots of bus routes and close to Marion Interchange for more connections, and close to Hove and Brighton train stations once that's up and running again (September 2013). 15-20 mins drive to the CBD off-peak, about 45 mins if driving in for typical office hours.

SHOPPING : Westfield Marion (I think SA's biggest shopping mall?) is a 5-10 minute drive or 10 minute bus ride away. If not, not far into the city for more choice. Also 10 mins drive to KMart at Kurralta Park. There's a Woolworths, Coles and Foodland all in Glenelg itself or Glenelg South plus a few smaller grocery stores. Lots of choice of nice gifty type shops, clothes boutiques etc on Jetty Road Glenelg itself. I rarely go to Marion/City to shop unless it's a big stock up of new work clothes etc... there's definitely enough in Glenelg to grab basics or something for a birthday present etc plus lots of nice health food shops and little fruit & veg places. The only thing I miss not in Gleneg itself is an Asian grocery but they are 10 mins drive away - or into the city for the markets.

SCHOOLS: I don't know much about schools as I have no kids - but I believe there is Glenelg primary and a smaller primary in Glenelg North plus I believe it's in the zone for Brighton High (good reputation state school). I'm sure someone with kids could add more details.

HOUSING : Mixed - lots of amazing 1-2 million dollar plus modern apartments on the esplanade, lots of more average apartment blocks, lots of gorgeous older villas and art deco type smaller apartment blocks. I imagine a higher rental proportion than many suburbs. Definitely lots of older people in the area with immaculate front gardens!

ENTERTAINMENT : Of all the suburbs in SA, it probably has the biggest area of high street shops/bars/coffee shops/cafes and restaurants than any other (not including places with huge sprawling indoor malls). To me it feels quite like an English seaside town. 5 mins drive to the amazing new SA Aquatic swim and gym centre in Oaklands Park (Marion). It's on the beach! Home to the Beach House - a kids indoor fun centre with waterslides, arcade games, dodgems etc. Marion outdoor pool 10 mins drive away plus same distance to Westfield Marion shopping. (also with cinema, bowling etc). A couple of outdoor bowls clubs. A few fitness centres/gyms including a 24 hour one and a bigger one (Genesis) with lots of classes, a crèche etc.

The negatives: Property is mega expensive. There are tacky sides to it. To me it doesn't have that really feral feel to it that some suburbs have (and no offence caused - but I wouldn't want to live in Elizabeth, Morphett Vale etc) but it can feel quite tacky - lots of tarted up 17 year olds out getting drunk, lots of 14 year old girls wandering the shops in their bikinis in summer, oblivious to old men ogling them. It's definitely a tourist area so can get busier - eg at the supermarket it can be very hard to get a car parking space in mid summer on a hot day, as people use it as a free public car park (I wouldn't want to live in central Glenelg in summer without an allocated off-street parking space/drive/garage). The beach around the jetty can get busy (by Aus standards - not a patch on spain/Greek islands resorts!) but walk 5 mins further south and you have sooo much space to yourself. However these are the only negatives for me personally.

The positives: Great choice of restaurants, cafes etc (some can be slightly overpriced with average food, like any tourist area, but there's still a much bigger choice than your average suburb and some real gems). I like the fact I have local shops and only need to do mall shopping/CBD shopping a couple of times a year. Love being 200m from the beach, 20 mins drive to the city for dinners/market shopping, 40 mins drive to McLaren Vale for winery days and the empty southern beaches such as Sellicks/Silver Sands for summer days. Love living on the beach! The area feels very safe. I like the fact there are lots of older people to keep an eye on property. There are loads of little parks and playgrounds (and a couple of big ones) that would be great for families. Great public transport links.

• 1 month later...
Guest belinda boo

Wynn Vale is an outer north-eastern suburb of Adelaide, South Australia and is located within the City of Tea Tree Gully local government area. It is adjacent to Golden Grove, Modbury Heights, Surrey Downs, Salisbury East and Para Hills.

Wynn Vale Dam, located in the heart of the suburb, offers several riding and walking trails, as does the connecting Dry Creek corridor and wetland area. There is also a Tea Tree Gully Council owned community centre, featuring a tennis court, two playgrounds, and a small pond. Several local schools exist in the area, including Golden Grove Lutheran Primary School, Wynn Vale School, Keithcot Farm Primary School and King's Baptist Grammar School. The Sunnybrook shopping centre is located within Wynn Vale, adjacent to The Golden Way, and offers a supermarket, surgery, and a variety of fast food outlets.

On Wynn Vale's northern border, in Golden Grove, are Gleeson College, Pedare Christian College and Golden Grove High School, linked together in a complex that also includes the Golden Grove Recreation and Arts Centre. The Golden Grove Village Shopping Centre is also adjacent to Wynn Vale, and serves as the main shopping outlet for the entire district.

The 288ha Cobbler Creek Recreation Park is accessible from nearby Gulfview Heights.

Belinda

• 2 months later...

Hello

Would anyone be able to give their thoughts and feelings on Brighton as a suburb and Brighton Secondary School.

Currently staying in Henley Beach which is a lovely suburb for those wanting a quiet relaxed costal suburb. We have been staying in a rental unit on Marlborough Street, a 10 minute walk to Drakes, McDonalds, KFC, Pizza Hut, cheap as chips & a fruit & veg shop and 15 minutes walk in the opposite direction to Henley beach. Bus stop straight outside which takes 20 minutes to the city at a cost of $3.60 before 9am or $1.80 after 9am and before 3pm (either that or 3:30).

Thanks in advance Jo

Hi Evojan. I think Brighton is lovely. Gorgeous, gorgeous beaches and a lovely spot for walking/running/cycling along the esplandade. A great little strip of cafes and a few shops - similar amount and style to Henley really. Good transport links to the city - regular buses and on the train line. The best supermarket I have been to BY FAR in Australia in 6 years is the new Foodland at 'brighton central' on Brighton Road. Lots more shops, supermarkets and restaurants/take aways along Brighton Road too plus obviously not far from Glenelg. Only a few minutes drive to Westfield Marion for shopping and the great new swimming centre/gym at SA Aquatic plus the outdoor pool at Marion. If you like Henley I imagine you'd like Brighton. Similar level of quietness, same great beach, similar amount of shops etc nearby.

Only negative I can think of is it's a pricey area due to how nice it is! And no kids, so no idea on the school, sorry, but often read on here it's one of the best public high schools in Adelaide.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, Anybody would have anything to add about Magill as a suburb and Magill primary school. I'm looking for a primary school for my 6 yrs old kid.

Magill is lovely. There are some great shops on Magill road and there is a bus that goes from Magill down Magill road in to the CBD. We looked in to the school when we were deciding where to live and it seems like a pretty good school. My only concern is that it is on the intersection of a couple of busy(ish) roads and my kids (8 and 12) walk to school by themselves. It would probably be a bit of a pain to get to if you had to drive as well. The only problem with Magill is houses can be a bit pricey. I would happily move to Magill tomorrow if we could afford a house we liked there (and we weren't already building one here in Rostrevor).

• 1 month later...

We are moving to Adelaide and have been considering Magill for renting. Any feedback about Norwood morialta high school would be highly appreciated :smile:

Edited by Ritu
repeat question