Guest SUPERSTARDJ01

Australia points?

Guest SUPERSTARDJ01

Hi,

Just a quick question - what do I put on the English language ability?

Sounds simple I know but the options are -

I have scored at least 7.0 on each of the four IELTS components or have scored a B or better in an OET exam (25 points)

My native language is English or I achieved a band score of at least 6 on all four components of the IELTS test (15 points)

and the explanation is-

English language ability

English language ability is assessed as either proficient, competent, or vocational.

English language ability Points

Proficient (you must be able to use and comprehend complex language well and understand detailed reasoning.) 25

Competent (you must be able to use and understand fairly complex language, especially where used in a familiar situation) 15

Vocational (you must have a reasonable command of English, coping with overall meaning of the language in the most situations) 15

If you hold a passport from one of the following countries listed below, you will not be required to sit the IELTS test to demonstrate that you meet the English language threshold:

United Kingdom (UK)

Canada

New Zealand

United States of America (USA)

Republic of Ireland

The thing I don't understand is if you are a native english speaker you get 15 points but if you have IELTS or OET you get 25 points pending on your ability well I am native and would say I am Proficient (you must be able to use and comprehend complex language well and understand detailed reasoning.)

So what gives? do I get 15 or 25 points?

Guest moviemummy

Hi

My understanding of this is that it depends on what points you need. If you are over 40 you get less, if your occupation is 50 and not 60 points, you might need to get more points some other way.

I submitted an IELTS as I am over 40 and get less points than some one under 40. This was the recommendation of my agent.

Hope this helps.

L

You only get the 25 points if you do the IELTS. Otherwise claim 15 points. Some occupations on the SMP require IELTS if you want SS.