Guest Squareman

Gas barbies - bleh!

Guest Squareman

After a lifetime of using wood/charcoal for barbies, I'm getting a bit fed up with using my gas barbie. It was a novely at first, but this has now worn off. As far as I'm concerned, a barbie just isn't the same unless it involves the beauty of fire and the warm glow of coals.

Would be interested to know, especially with winter coming up, how many of you use a traditional barbie and where you buy your wood/coal from. And, what barbies you have. Am thinking of buying a Weber.

We have both. Gas only recently, Weber type from England. Gas is great cos it's quicker, other type good for different sorts of cooking like roasting a joint or something like that. Still enjoying the novelty of gas and do think that if stuff is marinaded and not cremated, gas is fantastic.

We have both Gas and a Webber, we use heat beads for the webber and espicially like using it in the winter as after we finish cooking we throw a load of wood on it and use it to sit around toasting marshmallows and keeping warm

Hi there,

We have the gas barbie and a weber...and also a wood / charcoal braai! (barbie)

My OH works at Bunnings and they often sell items off that don't sell too quickly. He bought 8 charcoal barbies...maybe he has plans for more houses that I don't know about! We have four in a shed if you want one...they were reduced from $120 to $40?

There's no taste like a proper wood or charcoal barbie!

Tamara

There's no taste like a proper wood or charcoal barbie!

Tamara

I'm with you on that one. It just tastes like grilled meat on a gas barbie. I like the flavour from a charcoal barbie.

Guest Squareman

Thanks Tamara, but I have a sneaky suspicion that my missus has bought me a Weber for my birthday, which is coming up next week! Will let i know....

Yup,

We have got the gas and also the big webber charcoal barbie. Along with the wood fired pizza oven and smoker.

Depends on whether i can b bothered, if just throwing some food on, i will use the gas for just us, but prefer the webber, and wood fired pizza are amazing. Fresh dough, fresh ingredients, and 3 minutes in the pizza oven.

After a lifetime of using wood/charcoal for barbies, I'm getting a bit fed up with using my gas barbie. It was a novely at first, but this has now worn off. As far as I'm concerned, a barbie just isn't the same unless it involves the beauty of fire and the warm glow of coals.

Would be interested to know, especially with winter coming up, how many of you use a traditional barbie and where you buy your wood/coal from. And, what barbies you have. Am thinking of buying a Weber.

Gas barbie i dont see the point ya might as well cook inside,it dosnt get the barbie taste.

Guest Squareman

Look, there is a definite advantage to using gas. I quite enjoy it, especially when you're in a hurry, but there really is no substitute for the real thing. I will quite happily barbeque ANYTHING! In Scotland last year, I did haggis on the barbie!

i'm in the process of collecting all the materials i need to build a pizza oven, i've got some refractory bricks but does anyone know where to get the refractory tiles insulation blanket and bessa blocks, i'm in hallett cove so the nearer the better.

thanks