feeling down please cheer me up!!

Guest MADTOM

Guest MADTOM

Feeling a bit fed up today. Was at the bus stop yesterday and some git yelled Paki from the car as it went by. Not the first time this has happened! (I am Olive skinned)

:sad:Then some old woman was ignorant last week refusing to move when I politely asked to get by with the pushchair. In the fracas she caught her foot on the pushchair and fell over. I was mortified!

Feel like calling it a day and going home........

I would have just rammed the pushchair into her anyway....there are some ignorant impolite folks around but then there are the really friendly nice types....

I try ands forget the horrible impolite asses and remember the nice and friendly poeple, unfortunataly you do get racist biggots here in in Oz too.....

Get yerself out today and try and soemthing you have not done before even if its only for a coffee in saome nice cafe....

Chin up

HG

Guest helene73

When was the last time you were in the UK?!? Cos it's bad here we have these creatures called chavs that wear hoodies and tuck their tracksuit bottoms in their socks!!! They can be found on most street corners swigging cheap cider and shouting abuse at everyone and if you dare to say anything they are liable to pull a knife on you!!!

That's what you would have to look forward to here. Cheer up :) x

Hi there, try to remember why you went in the first place and keep reminding yourself about those reasons. Unfortunatly there are racist idiots everywhere and its usually carried out by peole that are to lazy to work which is the exact reason why imigrants are required anyway. As for the woman dont loose no sleep, at least next time she will move out of the way a bit quicker.

Guest MADTOM
When was the last time you were in the UK?!? Cos it's bad here we have these creatures called chavs that wear hoodies and tuck their tracksuit bottoms in their socks!!! They can be found on most street corners swigging cheap cider and shouting abuse at everyone and if you dare to say anything they are liable to pull a knife on you!!!

That's what you would have to look forward to here. Cheer up :) x

I was only there 6 months ago so am aware of chavs - Its just when you are feeling homesick 10K miles from home and some obnoxious T*** comes along things feel so much harder without the support of family and friends. I am not saying UK is all free of obnoxious ignorant morons but sometimes it's good to be in familiar surroundings with obnoxious ignorant morons than in completely new circumstances with obnoxious ignorant morons and no support network! I am not seriously thinking of returning to the UK just feeling a bit down at the mo.

Guest helene73
I was only there 6 months ago so am aware of chavs - Its just when you are feeling homesick 10K miles from home and some obnoxious T*** comes along things feel so much harder without the support of family and friends. I am not saying UK is all free of obnoxious ignorant morons but sometimes it's good to be in familiar surroundings with obnoxious ignorant morons than in completely new circumstances with obnoxious ignorant morons and no support network! I am not seriously thinking of returning to the UK just feeling a bit down at the mo.

Awwww (((((big hugs))))) x

Hi Lisa

I feel for you when I was only here for a few months I had a run in with a couple of women over a dog on the beach, when your feeling like this it is natural to feel so homesick because you cant just pick up the phone and moan about it to a good friend or family member. but this doesnt happen every day here does it? Think about times when you had a run in with a stranger in the UK unfortunately these people are everywhere in one form or another but I like to think there are less of them here???

Anyway hon get yourself out today and have a chat with someone, join a mums club or just take your little one to the park and have a lovely time with her.

Its hard sometimes and it takes time to get good friends but keep at it after all the sun is shining this morning and YOUR'E IN OZ!!!! ((((((big hug and take care)))))

Youve done the right thing by posting, theres lots of us out here going through or been through what your going through so let us know how your going.

Kim x

Guest Guest75

Did they actually say the word "Wog"?????

It's a totally different meaning here and not offensive if used in some situations. (hence i can speak of the word here ):policeman:

The Word "Wog here is used in the following ways.

1) To describe any olive skinned/ Mediterranean/ Italian/Greek/Turkish and so on person.

It's non offensive, used in the same way as "Pom" or "Aussies"

2) Can also be used to describe an illness.

Such as "I've got the Wog", meaning stomach trouble or a cold.

Again used in non offensive terms.

Can be quite a shocker when you hear it the first time though.:shocked:

Anyway.................. Don't let things get you down. We all have off days ,especially in our early days here.You'll look back and laugh in a few years:cute:

Guest Squareman

Are you sure he yelled 'Paki'? That's a very 'british' insult if you know what I mean. I haven't heard Aussies making references to 'paki's', but I may be wrong. I have heard plenty of negativity towards asians, but its not like there is a huge Pakistani community here as there is the in the UK.

Either way, don't let it get you down. I am scottish, we are the butt of the world's jokes, coming second only to the irish. LOL

Guest MADTOM

Yeah definitely Paki!

Anyway thank you everyone for all your kind comments. I am gonna ring OH and tell him he can take me and kids to McDonalds and watch out any impolite people in Adelaide cos I am not in the mood to cross swords today! (Such as the nutter who threw cheesecake at me and my little girl first week we arrived!) Oh humm

unfortunately these people are everywhere in one form or another but I like to think there are less of them here???

Yes, lots of people like to think that :cute:

I agree with Squareman, it's not a word I'd expect an Aussie to use (they have plenty of their own!), but a lot of Brits here and unfortunately some bring their prejudices with them ...

Jim

So sorry you are having such a bad time,remember that the people shouting racist remarks have no breeding and are not worth the worry. As for the old woman,sometimes old folk get accused of being rude when infact they may be deaf. I can see it is not easy for you but try and rise above it all and enjoy all the positive things about your life. Take care and have fun with your family and friends.

Hi lisa,

what a small world, i had the same thing happen to me over 5yrs ago only weeks after we had arrived...i was walking down the road with my son in his pushchair when 2 feral blokes drove past and one shouted paki at me (im only tanned) it was very scary at the time. just be happy in the knowledge you have more brains than him lol.

Hope you enjoy your maccas

Jo :0)

Guest MADTOM
Let me know which Mcds you are going to and i will let you know if its any good my mrs is the barista trainer for Mcds in SA....some really are not worth going to....

I would tell your hubby to take you somewhere a bit posh.....come on....lol

HG

Had a nice day at SA museum - Went to Hungry Jacks on West Terrace instead thats OH idea of posh (lol)

I have had some 'miss haps' shall i say since arriving in Nov last year.

1 - Youngest son decided he was going to run around the supermarket like a loonie so i strapped him into the pushchair and he started screaming. I carried on my shopping with a toddler headbutting the bar on the pushchair and screaming, trying to ignore the behaviour. Old biddy came over and ranted at me for being a bad mother and that i shouldnt be out with such a horrible child etc ....... Gave everyone in the shop something to gossip about. I carried on with my shopping and annoyed the woman in every isle of the shop :biglaugh:

2 - had to buy a duvet & cover so went to big bargain store (cant say which as cant go back!!) with youngest in tow. He decided it would be a good idea to spit in a toy story plastic cup and tip onto a poor unsuspecting child's head!!!!!:embarrassed: Mother of the child went mad to say the least and started yelling at my son to which he responded by trashing the store:embarrassed::embarrassed: Staff not too pleased!

There have been other moments but the above have made me want to run for the hills - or airport xx

However i have also had random acts of kindness on a near daily basis and have met some truly amasing people since arriving. I never experienced that in the UK as everyone is so hell bent on getting through the day with their head down and going back to their homes and bolting the doors.

Glad your OH knows how to treat a lady as Hungry Jacks is a better burger than Mcs lol

PS. Youngest is actually lovely just a toddler

Hope you are having a better day xxx

Guest puff the dragon

hi

sorry to hear of your experiences but just wanted to say that I work with oldies and often they have sight and hearing impairments so she may not have seen/heard you.

Many of them feel really upset as they get accused of ignoring friends/neighbours when they are out.

Guest MADTOM
hi

sorry to hear of your experiences but just wanted to say that I work with oldies and often they have sight and hearing impairments so she may not have seen/heard you.

Many of them feel really upset as they get accused of ignoring friends/neighbours when they are out.

Of Course thats understandable. My Grans like that she is deaf as a post and when we go anywhere with her she is like a wind up doll going in one direction (usually the wrong way) come what may (lols)

When I say old I don't mean a doddery old lady - that I can deal with. - we were in Subway she was in front still dealing with her sandwich The man who served me was wrapping mine up and wanted the money. I said "Sorry, Excuse me can I just get by to pay?" In Subway there is a barrier at the side so you can't get out and the queue was long behind me. I could'nt leave the pushchair as it would have tipped up with the shopping bags. She turned to me and said "No! I am ordering" so she did hear me but was just a nasty woman.

Guest puff the dragon
Of Course thats understandable. My Grans like that she is deaf as a post and when we go anywhere with her she is like a wind up doll going in one direction (usually the wrong way) come what may (lols)

When I say old I don't mean a doddery old lady - that I can deal with. - we were in Subway she was in front still dealing with her sandwich The man who served me was wrapping mine up and wanted the money. I said "Sorry, Excuse me can I just get by to pay?" In Subway there is a barrier at the side so you can't get out and the queue was long behind me. I could'nt leave the pushchair as it would have tipped up with the shopping bags. She turned to me and said "No! I am ordering" so she did hear me but was just a nasty woman.

That was ignorant of her, and yes I have had that sort of thing happen to me too,it can be really upsetting.

when we moved into our new house here the guy next door banged on our door and started yelling at us because we hadnt bought his house (which was also up for sale).I was all ready to get back on that plane.IDIOTS are everywhere!!

Hope things have improved for you.

Guest Opportunities

MADTOM,

I know it must be difficult to ignore, but please look at the bigger picture! Why did you make the move in the first place? Don't let people decide the way that you feel. I always say take it from whom it comes. If you do not value their opinion they cannot touch you...!!!!!!!!! These elements are the minorties, there are great people over there!

Get out today and have a blast! Life is what you make of it! (You can see the influence that my children and Hannah Montana has over me-think this is the lyrics of one of her songs)

Head up, shoulders back and chest out and smile as if there is no tomorrow!

Regards

Karen

x