Sign in to follow this  
Guest markshelley

Job hunting

Guest markshelley

Hi all.......

Could any of you guys out there recommend a good contact/firm/agency that we could send our C.V's to for registering our stuff with them.

I am a Site manager (Building Industry) but i am also a Joiner and my wife is a Teaching Assistant.

We have not as yet got our eye on any specific area of Adelaide so all areas at the moment are fine and would be very welcome of any information no matter how little you might think it is.

Much appreciated for your time in reading this.

Mark and Shelley + Courtney 8... Harry and Charlie 5....

Guest soggy

Hi Mark and Shelley,

if you go to www.yellowpages.com.au you can find lots of employment agencies that maybe able to help also you can find building companies, also try www.seek.com.au and www.careerone.com.au these are job websites that give you an idea of whats availabe job wise. I can tell you there is lots of work in the building industry around Adelaide, there is another site manager on this site who may be able to help more, who do you work for at the moment ?

Simon

Guest markshelley

Hi Simon,

Thanks very much for the reply and your website addresses.

I currently work for Gladedale(Yorkshire). So when are you planning to get there?

Mark and Shelley.. + 3 sappers (ha ha)

Guest soggy
    Hi Simon,

Thanks very much for the reply and your website addresses.

I currently work for Gladedale(Yorkshire). So when are you planning to get there?

Mark and Shelley.. + 3 sappers (ha ha)

Hi, I am hoping to be in Adelaide next Feb or March at the latest assuming I get the visa. I work for Bellway Homes southe east , not as site manager though maitenance/customer care, i've done a bit of sick and holiday cover as a site manager, way too much work for me!

Simon

Guest markshelley

hi...

What visa are you going on?

What does your wife do?

When did you pay your first money (to get the ball rolling so to speak)?

regards

Mark and Shelley

i've done a bit of sick and holiday cover as a site manager, way too much work for me!

Simon

Yes Simon i know worst bit of a site managers job is all the painting snagging;)

Mark,

I agree that there seems to be plenty of work. Today on Adelaide Now there was an article saying how much building work has gone through planning stages and its already double what was in same period last year.

Ive found plenty of Site Managers jobs on careerone web site. Once i know when we will be there will bombard them all with CV'S!

Guest soggy
    hi...

What visa are you going on?

What does your wife do?

When did you pay your first money (to get the ball rolling so to speak)?

regards

Mark and Shelley

hi, I will be going on a SIR 495 visa its the 3year one, after two years you can change to perminant residency, it has changed its name now.

My wife does not work as such, she has a buisness in China and some property there ( she is Chinese) and she hopes to start a buisness in Adelaide when we get there, she is not sure what type she just likes to make money, I am happy for her to do this;).

I applied for TRA March 07 and passed in April this cost £120 I think then after applying for SA state sponsorship I applied for my visa at the end of June they took the money from my credit card for the visa fee a couple of weeks later about £850 and that would be everything if my wife had taken her English test, she has not and so we will have to pay another £1200 before they issue a visa for English lessions in Aus.

My time line is at the bottom of this post.

Simon

Guest soggy
    Yes Simon i know worst bit of a site managers job is all the painting snagging;)

Ian,

thats because your drinking tea while the carpentry and drylining is being done and dont put your cup down untill the purchaser is in sight and you want the painters to bail you out;):)

Simon

Guest markshelley

Hi ianb...

Cheers for your reply....

Looking at the website there is a few looking for site managers and they say around $100k - $130k is that about the going rate in Adelaide?

What trade are you?

What visa you going on?

Regards

Mark and Shelley........................

Hi ianb...

Cheers for your reply....

Looking at the website there is a few looking for site managers and they say around $100k - $130k is that about the going rate in Adelaide?

What trade are you?

What visa you going on?

Regards

Mark and Shelley........................

Mark,

Some do give a salary, most dont but does seem to vary greatly. But it would appear that salaries do hit that sort of figure. If it is about right, i will be more than happy:jiggy:

yes also a carpenter trained and going on 136 Visa.

Guest markshelley

Hi....

Silly question but what does TRA stand for?

Which agent did you use?

Do they go to town on your application and want to know absolutely everything?

Have you visited oz?

Do you know of any if you want to call them hidden expenditure as in Council tax, Water rates, etc, etc (the sort of money paid out monthly that is compulsary)

Regards

Mark and Shelley..............

Guest soggy
    Hi....

Silly question but what does TRA stand for?

Which agent did you use?

Do they go to town on your application and want to know absolutely everything?

Have you visited oz?

Do you know of any if you want to call them hidden expenditure as in Council tax, Water rates, etc, etc (the sort of money paid out monthly that is compulsary)

Regards

Mark and Shelley..............

TRA stand for trade recognition authourity but different trades go to different places for recognition, some are more expensive and you have to sit tests written and pratical in uk to pass, are you going as a site manager or using a trade ?

I did not use an agent but from what I here the good ones do go to town on your application, its better than failing.

The last question is best left to the people already there who will be on later, there are water and council taxes , from what I have seen of them they seem ok but that is converting from £, when you are earning $ it depends on how many you are earning !

Simon

Guest Libby1971

Hi

Not sure about the building side of things but your wife will need to take her First Aid certificate course when she gets here, as they don't recognise the UK ones. She will also need to get her mandatory Child Protection course done.

She may struggle but contact Claire Hamilton at Switch Recruitment who may be able to advise her further on this one www.switchrecruitment.com.au. We are registered with them and they have just come up trumps finding my hubbie a perm job so we like them a lot at the moment.

The qualifications she may have in the UK aren't particularly recognised here, apparently. I heard that from another TA I know who was told that in order to get a job as one she would first need to complete the courses I mentioned (anyone who works in a school has to have one) and should then volunteer to help before applying for a job. It may be that another route into the school is working in Out of Hours school care. In other words, being at school early and after school running a club. It does usually operate during schools hols but I am not sure of the exact specifics so don't quote me.

Libby

Guest salisbury massive

[

don't want to ruin your day but site managers jobs earning that sort of money for people coming from the Uk are few and far between. I'd say a more realistic wage would be between $55,000 and $80,000.

My husband is a site manager, he works for Westfields (the shopping mall people) in their design and construct department. He's basically in charge of the 3 malls Westfield own in Adelaide. Since we moved here in 2005 he has moved jobs continually to get more money. his first job here for a commercial builder was $55,000 plus a car, fuel card & superannuation, then he moved to a domestic builder for $65,000 with fringe benefits, then another domestic builder as a self employed site supervisor, more money, no perks and finally Westfields where he is earning better money, no car or fuel card but a nice bonus at the end of the year, car allowance and superannuation.

Don't forget you will also have to go to nightschool and get a supervisors licence, my husband has spent 2 years going to night school to obtain all the licences he needs to work as a site supervisor here. The hours are long, you are expected to do far more work here and take more responsibility than in the UK. You are often expected to work all weekend for no overtime, its called a total renumeration package, which basically means you have to work all the hours god sends for no extra cash!!!! you'll also have to probably do a Health and Safety Officers course and a Senior First Aiders course all for no extra money. After all why would an employer pay 3 separate wages when he can pay just one person no extra wages for doing 3 jobs.

I'm not saying jobs earning those amounts are not atainable, wages for Site Managers are much better in other States especially Queensland. Just don't expect to rock up and land a job earnig that sort of money. Adelaide is definately about WHO you know not what you know. You'll probably have to put in some hard yards and a move jobs a couple of times before you get over $100K a year. Wages are often negitiable though and you can state what you want in your package at interview if you want to, my husband has been for interviews when he's actually been on more money than the manager interviewing him. One bloke even had the nerve to say Steve was being overpaid in the job he was in and then offering him $30k less than he is on now. Site managers are difficult to come by, especially with the right licences, Builders are prepared to pay more to get the right applicant.

I hope you get here and walk straight into a job earning that sort of money, just don't be surprised if you don't.

Jo

Guest Denise 42

Hi

just to let you know my hubby's a painter and there is loads of work. he work for himself, but when we go around looking at different suburbs they are building everywhere. been here since August 22nd and love it

Denise and Graham