Guest Guest5035

Is it 80's?

Guest Guest5035

Saw this online today,

Unchanged Adelaide fits the cinematic bill for Perth - circa 1986 | Adelaide Now

there can be alot of planning applications turned down because of "clique " people. Look at the old Le Cornu site in North Adelaide, its not changed in the 20 years i've been here, the marina at the bay, did that take some getting through, the list goes on.

Stevo

stevo

Some (not all) of the development at Glenelg is absolutely awful!! The view from the jetty of the foreshore looking north is just of a huge slab of concrete (sorry luxury apartments and hotel)! It was so much nicer before. I'm not against development but it has to be tastefully done, not just to make a few rich developers a few more bucks.

Guest Guest5035

I kind of agree, but can you remember WHAT it looked like, i remember in 91 when i first saw Glenelg, i was quite shocked, so much potential yet it seemed to be stuck in a time warp.

Stevo

I kind of agree, but can you remember WHAT it looked like, i remember in 91 when i first saw Glenelg, i was quite shocked, so much potential yet it seemed to be stuck in a time warp.

Stevo

You have got to remember it's Adelaide you are in and that's stuck in a time warp its still in the 20th century and everywhere else has moved on into the 21st century.

You have got to remember it's Adelaide you are in and that's stuck in a time warp its still in the 20th century and everywhere else has moved on into the 21st century.

SO true. Went to Sydney a couple of weeks ago, must have travelled by tardis as we went forward 30 years.......... and then back again.

LOL My Godfather used to be a BA Captain and one of his colleagues got into huge trouble for announcing as they came into land at one of the NZ Airports "Ladies and Gentlemen, we are now arriving at XX airport, please set your watches back by 30 years!" Perhaps they should say that as they arrive in Adelaide too!

Talking of Adelaide Airport - who on earth planned such a tiny car park there with barely any facility for long term parking?!

Guest Guest5035

Talking of Adelaide Airport - who on earth planned such a tiny car park there with barely any facility for long term parking?!

COLONEL WILLIAM LIGHT i think.:biglaugh:

but they are building a big hotel there aswell as a multi storey car park with a foot bridge over to the terminal,

stevo

Stevo

I first visited Glenelg back in 1992 and lived there from 1994 to 1997. Here are some old photos I already had scanned. My husband's got some old ones of Henley Square back from when you parked your cars in the square - I'll have to go searching for them. The event on the beach was an iron man competition.

glenelg 1994.jpg

glenelg 1997 b.jpg

Guest Guest5035

Anne, they are awesome pictures, i must be on there with my "mullet and oxford bags" I'd forgotton how big Magic Mountain was on piccy No2, also on the same piccy there on the left is the old ferris wheel, remember that old fun fair there, thats now the newer hotel. Can't wait for the others.

My OH has just got back from Melbourne, she couldn't believe how much difference there was.

Stevo

Guest Guest5035
    Gonna go see Rick Astley and Sinnita at the AEC...lol.....

HG

OMG, i've just remembered, this is embarrassing, when you said the AEC i thought where was the place where bands etc etc went. Then i thought the Festival Theatre..........................thats where we saw DES O'CONNOR:err::huh::embarrassed::embarrassed:

in 1992, but he was good though .

stevo

As we are moving soon, all of our photo albums and most of our books are already packed. However I did find some interesting old photos of Adelaide which my husband scanned on the computer a few years back...

If you've ever wondered why Semaphore Road is so wide, it is because the train used to go down the middle of it. The line was closed in 1978 and they ran a special steam train to celebrate.

These 2 old photos of Grange beach from 1979 are of a surf boat being blessed. The buildings in the background have changed quite a lot.

image0001.jpg

image0002.jpg

image0003.jpg

image0004.jpg

image0005.jpg

More photos, firstly of a vintage vehicle parade in Jetty Road Glenelg. You will notice the old Grand Hotel on the site of the Stamford Grand.

Also a surf carnival at Southport beach - we were there yesterday and this scene doesn't seem to have changed too much.

image0006.jpg

image0007.jpg

image0008.jpg

image0009.jpg

I remember Glenelg before the Grand and when on a Sunday the only place open there was Mama Carmellas next to the now Grand. The funfair was great , better and cheaper than Magic Lump which replaced it. Parking was free in the carpark where the Pier is now.....Perth is nice, but I like old Ads.