Telephone/internet packages

Nicky

Can anyone recommend any telephone/internet packages? I'm a real techno-phobe when it comes to things like that and getting really confused. Basically we just need a phone line and internet access, nothing fancy. We don't use our mobiles that much so are just on pay as you go. Is that right that most people use Telstra? We've just signed a new lease and Direct Connect have contacted us and pushing Optus. Are they as competitive as anyone else and what sort of package do we go for. We just use the internet for browsing, e-mails, facebook and skype (about half an hour once a week). We just want something simple, I don't understand all this technical jargan!!

Guest colette

When we were renting we took out a 2 year Telstra package for landline and internet which they released us from when we moved as we had cable and they couldn't provide this in our new house.

When we bought our house we took out a two year contract with Optus. It costs $99 per month but that is unlimited calls and a huge internet allowance. Unfortunately I also took out a two year contract for the mobile phone with Optus but because we are returning to the UK and the phone contract has a further 6 months to run they are charging me $184 to break the contract. Those are the breaks1

Can anyone recommend any telephone/internet packages? I'm a real techno-phobe when it comes to things like that and getting really confused. Basically we just need a phone line and internet access, nothing fancy. We don't use our mobiles that much so are just on pay as you go. Is that right that most people use Telstra? We've just signed a new lease and Direct Connect have contacted us and pushing Optus. Are they as competitive as anyone else and what sort of package do we go for. We just use the internet for browsing, e-mails, facebook and skype (about half an hour once a week). We just want something simple, I don't understand all this technical jargan!!

Guest Mitchell

Voip is voice over ip which is a telephone service via the Internet. It's much cheaper than getting a "normal" landline. Especially for calls overseas like to the UK. Adam do a naked adsl (broadband without a landline) which you can add voip too. Their packages are very cheap with good allowances that mean you haven't got to worry about going over your quota if you use Skype to video call family at home. A simple phone call to them is enough to set it all up and if you don't understand or get stuck connecting your modem router they are very helpful. I wouldn't recommend Telstra as they are expensive and damaged my cabling which I had to pay to get repaired. I was forced to use them as my house is a new build and only they can do the first connection. Everyone I know that's been with them has left.

Voip is voice over ip which is a telephone service via the Internet. It's much cheaper than getting a "normal" landline. Especially for calls overseas like to the UK. Adam do a naked adsl (broadband without a landline) which you can add voip too. Their packages are very cheap with good allowances that mean you haven't got to worry about going over your quota if you use Skype to video call family at home. A simple phone call to them is enough to set it all up and if you don't understand or get stuck connecting your modem router they are very helpful. I wouldn't recommend Telstra as they are expensive and damaged my cabling which I had to pay to get repaired. I was forced to use them as my house is a new build and only they can do the first connection. Everyone I know that's been with them has left.

Thanks for explaining it in layman's terms! It sounds as if voip is going to be better as most of my calls are to the UK. Can you still use a 'normal' phone to make calls though, it's not like using the computer like you do when you make calls using skype?

Guest Mitchell

Nope with an Adam router you plug your normal house phone in the socket marked with a telephone and dial like normal. It will ring for incoming calls. It's just the way the call travels that's different. Quality of the call is as good or better too.

Compare Broadband Internet plans, ADSL, ADSL2+, Cable, Wireless & Mobile Broadband

Hi, we are with Adam. We have their naked DSL with Adam Talk (voip) package. Costs $60 p/m, which includes $5 worth of calls. We got 50Gb data allowance but now they give you 100Gb for the same cost. It's called AdamEzyChoice. I think its an excellent deal and they have a good reputation as a service provider, always polite and helpful when you ring them and we have found the broadband fast and reliable. Unlike many other providers, they don't charge you extortionate rates if you exceed your limit, they simply reduce your bandwidth until the new billing cycle begins and you have the option to upgrade if you need a bigger allowance. To be honest though, we have never exceeded ours and 50Gb is plenty for most users, 100Gb even better. The only downside is that this system doesn't work with alarm systems that use a conventional landline and I don't think you can use a fax machine. They also recommend you keep a mobile phone for emergency calls too. Apart from this, I think its a great package. Most of my work colleagues have it and it was their recommendation that led me to subscribe. Haven't been disappointed to date. Hope this helps.

• 3 weeks later...
I tried this but came away feeling even more confused! I think I've been sold with Adam though. I'd much rather use someone that has been recommended, that's enough for me!

We've now moved to Mount Barker and after all my research and decided on Adam, it turns out they haven't got coverage here! I've been warned away from Telstra by different people so tried Optus but they don't come out this far; it appears that Telstra has the monopoly out here so that's what we've had to go for in the end - I'm sure we could be getting a better deal but seems we don't have much choice at the moment. Oh well, one thing at a time.