What to expect for my son.

Guest Mrs & Mrs T

Guest Mrs & Mrs T

Morning all,

Now im probably worrying myself for nothing but for the last few nights this has been playing on my mind.

No we haven't our visa yet but if things keep going well we will be moving early next year. But the worry i have is that my son will be 4 soon and so starting at the local primary in September, we have just got his placement through, but when we go to Oz he wont be school age yet.

Im concerned about removing him from his full time school and then being left with not very much for his to do and the last thing i would want is for him to take a step back.

Can anyone provide some advise as to the pre school/school system and what will be on offer to him. His birthday is July so currently he will be one of the younger ones.

Thanks

Sarah

Guest Guest6899
Morning all,

Now im probably worrying myself for nothing but for the last few nights this has been playing on my mind.

No we haven't our visa yet but if things keep going well we will be moving early next year. But the worry i have is that my son will be 4 soon and so starting at the local primary in September, we have just got his placement through, but when we go to Oz he wont be school age yet.

Im concerned about removing him from his full time school and then being left with not very much for his to do and the last thing i would want is for him to take a step back.

Can anyone provide some advise as to the pre school/school system and what will be on offer to him. His birthday is July so currently he will be one of the younger ones.

Thanks

Sarah

Hi Sarah, sorry cant answer your question but bumping your thread back to the top.

Lisa

If you come early next year then your son will have only had a couple of months at school. When you get here you would be able to enrol him in kindy with kids his own age. Kindy is for 4 - 5 year olds and there is a set curriculum in that they are prepared for school readiness. As your son will very much likely have a lot of these skills already, he should settle in very quickly, making friends and enjoying what kindy offers. Don't forget you will be moving him to an Australian system of education where 4 yr olds don't start school so he wont be taking a step backwards. He will start school in July at the beginning of term 3 and spend 6 terms ( 1 and 1/2) years in Reception. Reception here is a lot about giving the child confidence in many situations as well as literacy, numeracy etc. If you are still worried that your son is bored then there are many activities that you can do with him yourself, there are often local library sessions for preschoolers. The art gallery runs children's sessions a couple of times a year, kindergym, swimming lessons etc and also all the museums and the zoo all provide countless opportunities for mental stimulation.

If you can afford private school fees, some of these will assess your child to begin at the start of the school year if they turn 5 by a certain date. If your child is exceptionally ahead you can request an early start of usually a term at public school, but assessments would have to be done and your son would also have to socially ready as he would be 4 1/4 going into a class with 5 1/2 - 5 year olds.

Just read your son is turning 4 soon, so infact you may only have to wait a term ( approx 10 weeks) if you come early next year.