Willber

Port Noarlunga Train Service

Hi, we are due to arrive in two weeks and can someone tell me how extensive the work on the train line to the city is please. Just wondering how long it will take to get to the city as we wont have a car to start with.

Andrew

There is a replacement bus service that runs very frequently , to Oaklands railway station where you board the train to the City, I think overall time is around 1hr !!!!!! The work is to last right up to Xmas or there abouts. Hope this helps.

And then when that is complete, the line is going to be closed from Oaklands to City so more disruption!

One day they may even put a train track back on to service victor harbour

Extremely doubtful as the VH line runs up to Mt Barker to connect to the main line and currently it takes less time to drive into Adelaide from Mt Barker than it would to travel by train. Add the VH - Mt Barker journey as well and it's just not feasable.

Even if the Noarlunga line gets extended to Aldinga (which is likely at some stage) it will still not be cost effective to build a new line to VH. Also the Hallett Cove to Willunga line can't be reopened as a lot of the rail corridor is now built on.

The car is king even though it is an unsustainable form of transport. Sadly by the time everyone realises we need more rail links it'll be too late.

bumping this thread..

Anyone know how the progress is coming on? I heard there is also talk of the Port Noarlunga Train Service extending to Seaford?

bumping this thread..

Anyone know how the progress is coming on? I heard there is also talk of the Port Noarlunga Train Service extending to Seaford?

It's there now. However, it's not yet running and they've had a problem with the bridge joints

Cheers,

Cooler

Apparently the diesel trains will be running again in about 3 weeks. The electric trains and the Seaford extension are apparently to start operation early next year.

I don't think any of the track is electrified yet. They've put up the steelwork to support the cables along about 70% of the line, but they're still working on the Goodwood junction, so unsure as to whether the line will open on time. Certainly won't be ready for the electric trains in September.

Guest Guest75

Dunno ,I might be wrong but I think it's going to take a while to get the service into the city. Passing trhough Hallett Cove there is only power at the very southern end.

Guest BurgessFamily

can't wait for the train line to open... should get most of the other cars off the road. xD

slightly off topic.. but when are southern expressway roadworks due to be completed?

Unless they run out of money and then it will be another 20 years!