hello

Guest Ade+Vikki

Guest Ade+Vikki

hello all, what a fantastic site,have loads of questions if anyone can help......is it worth packing things like washing machine,tumble dryer,leather sofathings like that or is it worth buy out there, we have been quoted £3,200 to ship belongs any help would be grateful

cheers Ade+Vikki

hello and welcome to the site :wubclub:

re shipping your things the opinions couldn't be more different!

we will be taking some of our big things like w/m, dryer, kids furniture - but that's about it! the other things are not 'that' nice so probably not worth taking. - the rest are personal things and oh's tools.

we think we might fill half a container! - but still early days!

Guest louiesmum

Hi

Welcome to the site. Good luck, how far along are you, do you have your visa's already? We are probably taking some stuff with us like sofas bed etc, not sure but will probably get new w.machine, fridge etc. but i think I'm abit of a hoarder so it will be great to clear out stuff that I hang on to just in case!!

Guest happy-jools

Good bloody question if you ask me.

We have ummed and arred about this for some time. And weve decided to take some personal stuff and the rest buy when we get there. I think.

Well thats the decision this week anyway.

Lots of conflicting advice on this one.

xx

Sorry no help am I.

:arghh:

Guest graandjac

Hi guys, welcome to PIA you are right a great site here with some great people and advice, the shipping thing is a question of choice and like many we have changed our mind loads , but the final decision for us is to take a 20' container and pack whatever we can, or like Julia said we might change our mind:wacko:Cheers Graham & Jacqui

Guest Ade+Vikki

hiya thanks for that,just sold our house so got rid of loads of junk 2 skip loads...as for visa vikki and ruby are ozzie citizena so iam going over on a spouses visa,moving back home with parents as house sale was quicker than we expected,hoping to be out early next year..how are you doing with the visas?which part are you planning to go?

cheers Ade=vikki+ruby 18months

Guest Libby1971

Hi

We didn't have much that we wanted to bring, only personal effects. We could have brought furniture but nwe'd have been replacing it within a year or two so we just got rid of it and bought new here.

On the electrical side of things, if I had known that it would not have been as hard as I thought to get things wired up, I might have brought them. I sold them in the UK and put the money towards the cost of new here. One of the things I did like about doing it this way was that we didn't have to wait for our stuff to arrive to have furniture in our rental as it was just delivered - on the downside to that is all this new furniture made it look so different it took a while to get used to it all.

We paid just over £1400 to get our personal effects here in about a third of a container.

Libby

I agree, it's very much horses for courses whether you bring your stuff or not. We opted to bring most of our stuff and I'm glad we did. We have two small children and we wanted them to have familiar things around them when we moved into our new house. Also, they've trashed most of our furniture already and we didn't want to buy nice new stuff for them to trash as well!!! When it all falls apart, THEN we'll buy new! Having said that, we have bought lots of things here as we just didn't have enough furniture to fill the house, even though it's pretty small. I wouldn't bother bringing your tv though, it's Australian law to buy a big lcd tv when you get here, home theatre is optional though!!!:biglaugh::biglaugh:

Guest sarahsmartiepants

I would say bring everything you can, shopping is a pain in the A, i would imagine even worse with kids:arghh:.

Get a short term rental. with all the stuff you need,that should tie in with getting a rental or a purchse, then your stuff will have arrived! One less thing to worry about IMO!

There is nothing worse than spending money for something that you practically gave away in the uk:mad:, only to find when you get here its not as cheap as you thought!

sarah

Guest Russfamily

we got a container and put 90% of our gear in it cost £3k approx buying new will be well over that, the childrens beds and furniture cost $2k our new matress cost $700 half price double door fridge freezer no ice maker $1700 new sofa $2k and i havent mentioned washing machines, tv, new phone, cutlery, plates, bbq, the list is endless if u dont bring a container be prepared to spend loads of cash.