Diane

Question for any kiwis...

... are there koalas and kangaroos in New Zealand? Just realised I don't know! (I know there are possums!)

I'm not a Kiwi, but can answer this one , there are no wild kangaroos or koalas in New Zealand, I know this because the highlight of my sister-in-laws visit to Australia is the Gorge wildlife park so she can feed kangaroos and cuddle the koalas

Have to admit I asked my family first - and son burst out laughing and told me the only animals in NZ - as everyone knows - are sheep!

Thanks Wendy - another mystery solved!

Guest nakigirl

I can definately confirm there are no Koalas or Kangaroos here in NZ! You are right on the possums though as I currently have them invading my garden to eat all my walnuts of my tree.

Apparently we also have more cows here than sheep, more money in dairy farming. White gold they call it:)

If you put wallaby and kangaroo in the same class then there are a few colonies of wallabies in NZ. They were introduced years ago from Australia. The except below taken from DAFF files

to facilitate the importation of tammar wallabies from Kawau Island in New Zealand. The tammar wallabies on Kawau are descendants of a population in South Australia now extinct. It is intended to restore a breeding population in their former range

Guest nakigirl

Well done! I had forgotten about the wallabies. The colony on Kawau Island is actually proving quite devestating to the native flora and fauna. I know the Dept of Conservation is taking steps to control their numbers.

Guest Nicky&Andy

had a guy in the salon today , chatting about wild life, thought of what you said , no kangaroos or wombats , really good informative chat thanks to you diane, x

Guest jmtomo

just left nz afetr 8 years... safest plce on earth, even the wasps are not scary!! the only exciting thing are the possums and there are known to fall from trees onto peoples heads, so watch out!!! they also like running into cars, there are wild pigs and horses in the plains and forests.

Guest cbeeb

just like the dropbears they have here in the hills then:-)