Guest NicNox

Have a Criminal Record: but are now training to be a Nurse.

Guest NicNox

Hello Everybody........Hope everyone is well :o

My name is Nicola and I am 26 years old from Surrey (originally from Hertfordshire), and I am currently in my 2nd year of studying to become a Nurse.

When I was 18 (June 2003, 8 years ago): I was arrested and convicted of Theft and subslequently have a criminal record. When I was 24 I decided to sort my life out and train to be a Nurse, which I am thoroughly enjoying, with the hope of emigrating Down Under as this has been an ambition since childhood. I hope to qualify as a Nurse in July 2012 (27 years of age).

My question is that: even though I will be a qualified Nurse (fingerscrossed) will my criminal record discount that out and I will I be granted entrance to Australia? Also, what do people know about Graduate Nursing Programmes? I understand that the Royal Adelaide offers this and just wondered what people's opinion on them would be.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to receiving any advice given. :D

Kind Regards

Nicola (Nic)

x

As far as the criminal record goes I've read on the sister forum that 12 month prison sentence is where they draw the line, more than that and :nah: You need to declare anything like that when you apply.

Just make sure you declare any warnings, cautions and convictions and give an account of them and how things are different for you now.

It may help to get your police check done before your application. That way you know exactly what is on there.

However, if you submit your application with the police check, the visa will be given from 12 months from that date.

Check out the character requirements on the DIAC site and you'll probably find you will be OK.

All the best!

As other posters have said just declare everyhting dnt hide anything, cos there is nithing worse than having them decline your visa application....be up front even do a letter explainging what happened and how you have turned your life around.

Good luck with it all, keep us posted and hopefully we will see youu on the bottom end soon..

HG

My name is Nicola and I am 26 years old from Surrey (originally from Hertfordshire), and I am currently in my 2nd year of studying to become a Nurse.

When I was 18 (June 2003, 8 years ago): I was arrested and convicted of Theft and subslequently have a criminal record. When I was 24 I decided to sort my life out and train to be a Nurse, which I am thoroughly enjoying, with the hope of emigrating Down Under as this has been an ambition since childhood. I hope to qualify as a Nurse in July 2012 (27 years of age).

My question is that: even though I will be a qualified Nurse (fingerscrossed) will my criminal record discount that out and I will I be granted entrance to Australia? Also, what do people know about Graduate Nursing Programmes? I understand that the Royal Adelaide offers this and just wondered what people's opinion on them would be.

Kind Regards

Nicola (Nic)

x

My advice is to use an agent who have extensive knowledge in this area. I believe that there is no firm rule but you have to get your application right, first time.

I am not advising any dishonesty, but I do know that DIAC officers do search forums.

Cooler

You will be fine. A mistake in the past as trivial as this will not bother them.

Just declare it and if you cant remember the exact dates just do a police check now so you have the details and then re do your police check for the visa so you have a more upto date one for that.

They say on DIACs website its repeated offences and over 12 months in prison so the silly things that most of us picked up when we were younger "the ones that got caught" really will not matter.

Guest NicNox

Thank You all very much for the replies. I appreciate all the information and advice.

Good Luck to you all :o

From

Nic

Hi Nic,

We migrated here 4 years ago and we were worried about a criminal record for a firearm offence! (a firearm was stolen and one of the family was charged with negligence).

The migration agent said that it wouldn't be a problem and that they would refund half the fee if it wasn't successful.

It took some explaining but had no negative impact upon the application.

Tamara

Kind Regards

Nicola (Nic)

x

Hi Nic

What sort of a sentence did you get for the theft conviction, please?

Also, was the theft conviction an isolated incident?

Things like cautions show up on the type of police check required by Aussie Immigration, so if you are not absolutely sure about the details, it is worth getting a police check before you apply for an Aussie visa. You can always get another police check later on, shortly before the visa is granted, so that you would not have to scramble out to Oz at short notice in order to validate the visa.

It is sometimes worth getting an extra police check up front so that what the person discloses on the visa application is exactly the same information as is disclosed on the police check, they can make sure that they have provided accurate dates etc. It also enables the person to provide a covering letter, explaining the details of what happened, expressing remorse etc.

http://www.acpo.police.uk/NationalPolicing/ACROCriminalRecordsOffice/PoliceCertificates.aspx

Cheers

Gill