Guest Bumble Bee

We have a visa, now need a job...

Guest Bumble Bee

First post so hi to everyone...

After spending 2 years of going through the process of trying to get a visa and having all the associated ups and downs we have got one…. a 475 sponsored by SA. I am a IT/Operations Manager with has a service background and am ITIL qualified.

Our plan is to move out to Adelaide on either the 1st Nov or the 1st Feb (it all depends on when my wife’s braces come off!).

We obviously have all the logistics to workout, doing the research and planning will be fun and by reading the forums we can get the answers to most questions. The thing that is worrying me is that I can’t see many vacancies that I could apply for and reading this and other forums I have noticed a number of worrying comments:-

· “The number of jobs advertised is down 28% on this time last year”

· “Most employees give preference to a local”

· “people have moved to Adelaide and can’t find work”

Maybe I am just getting nervous about moving but the move will only be a success if I can find work.

Couple of questions..

· Is there anyone out there that has moved out to Adelaide who has similarly skills to me that can share their experiences of looking for a job?

· Can anyone share with me the names of some contacts at local IT recruitment agencies in Adelaide that I could make contact with.

Thanks in advance for any help, sharing your experiences, sharing your contacts etc

Cheers

Hi and Welcome,

We are in a kind of similar situation work wise. Visa wise it's totally different as my wife just needs to get a partner visa.

On the IT front I am a business analyst/requirements writer and approached a company called Hays they seemed to be involved in a lot of IT jobs around Adelaide. Dilbert on here his OH is in IT and strangely worked in a avery similar area to where I am now and she said that IT jobs weren't too difficult to come across. Anyway back to Hays i just made a general enquiry to them and they asked to see my CV so I did an Australian Style Resume and have sent it to them, just waiting for a response now.

We aren't planning on moving across until July '12 as we would like our eldest to sit his GCSE's. Mind you that may depend on whether I get a package from work!!

All the best and I hope this waffle has been of some use.

Craig

First post so hi to everyone...

After spending 2 years of going through the process of trying to get a visa and having all the associated ups and downs we have got one…. a 475 sponsored by SA. I am a IT/Operations Manager with has a service background and am ITIL qualified.

Our plan is to move out to Adelaide on either the 1st Nov or the 1st Feb (it all depends on when my wife’s braces come off!).

We obviously have all the logistics to workout, doing the research and planning will be fun and by reading the forums we can get the answers to most questions. The thing that is worrying me is that I can’t see many vacancies that I could apply for and reading this and other forums I have noticed a number of worrying comments:-

· “The number of jobs advertised is down 28% on this time last year”

· “Most employees give preference to a local”

· “people have moved to Adelaide and can’t find work”

Maybe I am just getting nervous about moving but the move will only be a success if I can find work.

Couple of questions..

· Is there anyone out there that has moved out to Adelaide who has similarly skills to me that can share their experiences of looking for a job?

· Can anyone share with me the names of some contacts at local IT recruitment agencies in Adelaide that I could make contact with.

Thanks in advance for any help, sharing your experiences, sharing your contacts etc

Cheers

Hi

In general the worst time to look for work is leading up to December and then January/February. Over here it is the kids 6 weeks summer holidays at the end of December and all January and people/businesses use this as a time to take leave or shut down altogether. I finished in a job one year on 8 December and did not gain employment until 2 February. I know other friends (Aussies) who have been in a similar situation and I would advise avoiding this period if possible, it is generally accepted that this is the worst time to be looking for work.

Have a look under the Jobs and Careers section and thread titled 'Resume' for some more IT related information which may help.

Guest BurgessFamily

I'd highly recommend getting in contact with a guy called Bruce Jacobssen, he's an excellent agent. His email is bruce@adelaideinterim.com.au.

If you use LinkedIn, his page is http://au.linkedin.com/pub/bruce-jacobssen/4/436/8a1

Either way, if you do contact him - you can mention me if you like (Rob Burgess).

Also, the company I work for is currently looking for a BA, and Bruce is on the lookout for us.

There aren't as many jobs around Adelaide as say Melbourne - but if you are looking for full-time work, you only need to find one job and then you're not really interested in the rest.

Guest Bumble Bee

Thanks for the tips, comments and contacts – all noted and contact will be made with the agents. Thanks again

Guest Mitchell

I work in IT and recently asked my staff about agencies. They all looked at me like I was daft! It's much more common here to find your own job using seek and other web sites! Their opinion was that people who use agencies are the ones who need help getting a job for whatever reason. Btw look at baesystems.com we have a careers web site are ate looking for IT staff. :)

I work in IT and recently asked my staff about agencies. They all looked at me like I was daft! It's much more common here to find your own job using seek and other web sites! Their opinion was that people who use agencies are the ones who need help getting a job for whatever reason. Btw look at baesystems.com we have a careers web site are ate looking for IT staff. :)

Hi Michelle

I am just wondering if your IT staff have looked on seek recently, probably around 90% of IT jobs on seek are advertised through an agency! There is always going to be the 'hidden' jobs market eg getting jobs through friends, relatives or work contacts and I recruit to admin jobs that are never advertised on seek or the paper, but often when you first arrive you don't have these contacts or are not aware of how things work in Adelaide.

At BAE don't you have to be a citizen to obtain defence security clearance? This may exclude a lot of new arrivals from working in the defence sector.

Guest Mitchell
    Hi Michelle

I am just wondering if your IT staff have looked on seek recently, probably around 90% of IT jobs on seek are advertised through an agency! There is always going to be the 'hidden' jobs market eg getting jobs through friends, relatives or work contacts and I recruit to admin jobs that are never advertised on seek or the paper, but often when you first arrive you don't have these contacts or are not aware of how things work in Adelaide.

At BAE don't you have to be a citizen to obtain defence security clearance? This may exclude a lot of new arrivals from working in the defence sector.

My company advertises directly first then only goes to agencies of were struggling. Yes you need to be an Aussie to get clearance however this is normally only required if you work out in the business on a project. I work in it supporting internal systems and don't need it. Our ads always state if you need to be a citizen for that role :)