Guest The Waite Family

Bit of a dilemma

Guest The Waite Family

Well, me and the family are finally here in Adelaide until 10th May (yayyyyyyyy) BUT, I just cant get over the creepy crawlies :'(

I can cope ok with the millipedes but have had a regular visit of 3 to 4 spiders every night. Not huge massive ones but normal UK sized house spiders that scare the crap out of me :(

I just don't see how I can move to Australia and be as **** scared as what I am. I'm worried I'm going to ruin my whole families future :(

I'm trying to be brave and I know I'm being really silly about it but I can't sleep cos i'm laid there thinking what the hell is outside my bedroom door or even worse INSIDE my bedroom.

I'm ok when I'm outside, a bit paranoid about being in the car incase one has sneaked in but don't see how I'm ever going to feel any different to what I do now :'(

Ahh sorry to hear that, but don't let it put you off at all. My HUGE fear is snakes & SA has them bigger & deadly then most other places. We live in Stirling also which seems to be all kinds of wildlife central! Some very cute but some not so cute.

After 2 1/2 years have only seen 1 snake (that was this year in Byron Bay) spiders, well just bomb your house & surround & keep in lots of the spray insect killer...it works.

People used to say to me before we moved over empty your shoes before you put them on, pull the sheets back before you get in bed & shake your clothes & you do it now automatically.

Good luck with it all.

Well, me and the family are finally here in Adelaide until 10th May (yayyyyyyyy) BUT, I just cant get over the creepy crawlies :'(

I can cope ok with the millipedes but have had a regular visit of 3 to 4 spiders every night. Not huge massive ones but normal UK sized house spiders that scare the crap out of me :(

I just don't see how I can move to Australia and be as **** scared as what I am. I'm worried I'm going to ruin my whole families future :(

I'm trying to be brave and I know I'm being really silly about it but I can't sleep cos i'm laid there thinking what the hell is outside my bedroom door or even worse INSIDE my bedroom.

I'm ok when I'm outside, a bit paranoid about being in the car incase one has sneaked in but don't see how I'm ever going to feel any different to what I do now :'(

They're generally not a problem. We've been here 18 months and we have seen a few of the usuals and caught our youngest two (3, 5) messing with an inch ant today.

You can get your house sprayed when you live here and then you will hardly see anything at all indoors.

Most Australians I know are more scared of wasps or bees than the local insects.

Your imagination will be worse than the reality.

Enjoy your visit,

Cooler

Most posters on here seem to cope with them ....... eventually, although some of the 'wits' seem to take delight in scaring the pants off you - (see post about toddlers and snakes).

I'm sure you can get help if you are really phobic but hopefully, armed with a spray and some caution you will overcome your fears soon. I'm not looking forward to that aspect either though I think I'm more worried about snakes than spiders!

Some of the Zoos and wildlife parks run sessions talking about and/or handling creepy crawlies and this may help desensitise you. My grandchildren are taught about them in school - what not to do/basic first aid.

Good luck

Your imagination will be worse than the reality.

So true :notworthy:

I think the 'dangerous snakes, spiders etc' thing is sooo over emphasised. Of course they are here but they want to interact with you as little they can.

The spiders you mention are probably as harmless as their British counterparts and more likely to be munching on any small, less pleasant spiders and flies than bothering you. Might you be worrying more because of jet lag?

The sprays people mention are widely available and easy to use. If it helps at all, I was also paranoid when we came over - following all the same checks as you- but now we don't even use the sprays (and haven't for about five years) I do wallop shoes before putting them on etc but it's really no big deal.

Please try and relax. I am sure you will hear from many, many people who have overcome their worries/fears. The spider/snake thing is one of those horror story things we like to scare people with....based on truth but embellished wherever possible lol!

Enjoy your stay :cute:

LC

Guest Adelaide_bound

I know I'm not there yet, and they are much much bigger and scarier over there, but imho you will get used to them, bit by bit - I have been being 'trained' by the husband over here in preparation - I was sooooo phobic it wasn't even funny, but he has been leaving spiders when we find them in the house here (it helps that most of them aren't very big admitedly) so I get used to having them around, and I've been out in the garden lot transforming it from bramble city to veggie patch heaven so have been seeing lots and lots and am actually starting to get on with them a bit now - for eg we have one in the bathroom at the moent that I even had a little chat to last night (ok, not going mad, just a little 'hello Mr Spider, how are you today?' whilst I brushed my teeth lol). Next step is to try to pick one up and see how I get on with that. I've also been watching loads of vids of spiders on youtube - the off the chart one where the stupid man tries to catch the biggest huntsman ever with a small tupperware container from the ceiling of his kitchen whilst his small son films it is not good viewing and still makes me scream, but the others are really helping I think, and lots and lots of pictures of them.

I am still apprehensive, but a combo of trying to desensitise myself as much as possible, combined with a full time bombing and spraying programme once we touch down (and never being without a can of Mortain methinks lol), hopefully will mean it will be liveable and won't even be an issue (until a massive huntsman makes a play for me, but hopefully that will only be once a year!)

I think the 'not being in your own place that has been sprayed' probably has something to do with it - get a can of spray and sleep with it next to the bed, that will help hopefully for now :) Good luck

Guest helene73
    I know I'm not there yet, and they are much much bigger and scarier over there, but imho you will get used to them, bit by bit - I have been being 'trained' by the husband over here in preparation - I was sooooo phobic it wasn't even funny, but he has been leaving spiders when we find them in the house here (it helps that most of them aren't very big admitedly) so I get used to having them around, and I've been out in the garden lot transforming it from bramble city to veggie patch heaven so have been seeing lots and lots and am actually starting to get on with them a bit now - for eg we have one in the bathroom at the moent that I even had a little chat to last night (ok, not going mad, just a little 'hello Mr Spider, how are you today?' whilst I brushed my teeth lol). Next step is to try to pick one up and see how I get on with that. I've also been watching loads of vids of spiders on youtube - the off the chart one where the stupid man tries to catch the biggest huntsman ever with a small tupperware container from the ceiling of his kitchen whilst his small son films it is not good viewing and still makes me scream, but the others are really helping I think, and lots and lots of pictures of them.

I am still apprehensive, but a combo of trying to desensitise myself as much as possible, combined with a full time bombing and spraying programme once we touch down (and never being without a can of Mortain methinks lol), hopefully will mean it will be liveable and won't even be an issue (until a massive huntsman makes a play for me, but hopefully that will only be once a year!)

I think the 'not being in your own place that has been sprayed' probably has something to do with it - get a can of spray and sleep with it next to the bed, that will help hopefully for now :) Good luck

I tried the whole touching of the eight legged demons even had a pet one at work called stumpy but............................ I have met oz spiders and nothing prepares you for them they are still bloody terrifying they are certainly bigger than I ever imagined and I for one am still s**t scared of them :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guest Adelaide_bound
    I have met oz spiders and nothing prepares you for them ....

I am ignoring you :biglaugh:

Guest The Dimmocks

We dont see many spiders at all.

We have been camping a few times as well and not seen any. We had more mice on our last camping trip!!

Guest Mitchell

Don't worry! I'm terrified of spiders in the UK too and have woken the neighbours when a particularly big one ran across the floor. However here I have a strict no bugs in the house policy. It's easy coz here there's so much stuff to deal with them. When I picked up the keys to my house I bombed it. It's just 3 aerosols that you set going and leave for at least 2 hours. You just get the odd dead one that needs hoovering up. I bomb the garage with the car doors open so that's covered too. I do the outside of the house where things might lurk with surface spray and the paved areas get a coating of ant sand which works even if its rained on. I shake my clothes when I take them off the line but don't bother apart from that.

Guest Adelaide_bound

The husband was asking about this last night - we have gone into Costco for the past few years and dreamt about the large garden furniture they have in there, drooling slightly, and have realised that an outdoor life in Australia might mean we can invest in some (rather than only getting to use it for a month a year at most in this country) - but he pointed out perhaps we couldn't use it as it would be covered with redbacks etc. I think he is thinking of the woven style stuff (either actual wicker, or the fake plastic wicker), or the wooden plank stuff (with lots of nice little crevices), and things like the HUGE outdoor nest bed type things (like a massive pumpkin with a hole in the side to get in it, can hold about 4 adults lying down inside) and so on.

Would these be ok just being bombed, or would you have to hoover them each time you went into the garden to use them? Does the bombing coat everything in a fine powder or something, to give long lasting protection, or......hmmm, not really sure really what I'm saying lol - just basically, I know you are meant to check under your garden chair each time you use it, so would we have to check big structure type things each time we went outside (which would pretty much mean we probably wouldn't use it as it would be such a hassle), or would a bomb or two sort it all out and we could run outside and fling ourselves on it (as it were)?

Whereabouts are you staying? If you're in a short term rental, get one of the bombs mentioned and let it off (might be worth checking with your landlord first though). When/if you move over for good, get a cat: ours seem to have great fun keeping the spider population down!

The one thing I do find over here is that most places have big expanses of white or cream walls, so any spiders on the walls or ceiling show up pretty clearly. I always do a check first when I get into bed! A can of mortein spray sorts out any on the patio too.

Ants are more of a pain than anything else, I find.

The husband was asking about this last night - we have gone into Costco for the past few years and dreamt about the large garden furniture they have in there, drooling slightly, and have realised that an outdoor life in Australia might mean we can invest in some (rather than only getting to use it for a month a year at most in this country) - but he pointed out perhaps we couldn't use it as it would be covered with redbacks etc. I think he is thinking of the woven style stuff (either actual wicker, or the fake plastic wicker), or the wooden plank stuff (with lots of nice little crevices), and things like the HUGE outdoor nest bed type things (like a massive pumpkin with a hole in the side to get in it, can hold about 4 adults lying down inside) and so on.

Would these be ok just being bombed, or would you have to hoover them each time you went into the garden to use them? Does the bombing coat everything in a fine powder or something, to give long lasting protection, or......hmmm, not really sure really what I'm saying lol - just basically, I know you are meant to check under your garden chair each time you use it, so would we have to check big structure type things each time we went outside (which would pretty much mean we probably wouldn't use it as it would be such a hassle), or would a bomb or two sort it all out and we could run outside and fling ourselves on it (as it were)?

Seriously, you are thinking about it too much. Most locals that I know have never been bitten by a spider. You can use surface sprays for indoors and also outdoors - sheds are a good place to spray if kids are going in them.

Don't worry,

Cooler

When i lived in the UK i didn't particularly like spiders/creepy crawlies, they didn't overly bother me though, however since moving here ive developed an irrational fear of most things that crawl and /or jump. I bomb the house once every couple of months and thankfully we dont see many inside, ('cept for the millipedes!) Once i'm inside the house i'm usually fine, Outside is another problem though particularly as this summer which has been worse than any other, with the additional problem of crickets, which for some reason really scare the ###t out of me and the dragonflies. I'm trying some CBT and thinking about hypnotherepy, I wouldn't dream of going back to the UK for them though, i just kill the lil s##ts with whatever i possibly can ;)

To the OP - What are you actually afraid of? Seeing spiders or being bitten by them? If just seeing them, then you'll probably get used to them after some time. If you're actually afraid of being bitten by a spider, then it's really very uncommon. I've lived in Australia all my life, and I don't recall whether I've actually ever been bitten by a spider. Mosquitoes-yes, ants-yes, but not sure about spiders. I'd be more worried about the nuisance flies and mosquitoes, which can be a pain.

I have never checked my shoes or my bed for spiders - Didn't know I was meant to until I started reading these forums! We don't worry about 'bombs' and so forth. We just keep an insect spray on hand for the occasional spiders we find in the house. (except the huntsman, which feeds on nastier creatures.) Most Australians don't even think about the fact that spiders exist with us, as we've never known any difference.

I think you are worrying beyond the actual threat. There are far more things to be worried about than spiders. Getting into a car for a drive is a far more dangerous thing than a spider in your house. ;)