Guest mOZzy

kids jetlag?

Guest mOZzy

(sorry, didn't know where else to put it!)

for those of you with small children who've done the trip already:

how did you kids cope with the jetlag?

how did you cope with their jetlag?

any tips and tricks?!?

Hi Susi,

My two kids, were really tired when they got there, I just let them sleep whenever they wanted to until they felt better, a couple of days and they were right as rain!

Even if they got up in the middle of the night, either myself or my OH was up as well so they always had the company L.O.L.

I was actually really amazed at how quickly they bounced back and also how well they coped with the flight.

There are plenty of movies for them to watch or games to play on the in flight screens, but we also let ours take their hand held games for extra and colouring books, they just snatched a little sleep here and there, but in general they were really good.

AHHH - Perhaps you didn't read my post back in October under the heading of "No one warned me...." which I wrote upon arrival at Adelaide. I have to say I was quite surprised to have such a struggle with the kids jetlag upon arrival in Adelaide - even more because I'm American so my kids have been doing cross-atlantic/pacific journeys with an 8 hour time difference for years. I think that someone quite truthfully said - you either suffer from jetlag or you don't and some are more pre-disposed than others. There is a physiological reality that it should take roughly 1 day per 1 hour of time difference to fully adjust. Unfortunately, that's roughly 10 days. However, I suspect we all make it worse for ourselves and our kids because whether we're on a reccie or coming for good - we're so desperate to find accommodation, look at suburbs, throw ourselves in - that we end up forcing our kids into long hours in the car and doing things that are frankly only of interest to us when they'd be better off at the beach and the wild animal park (depending on age.) Older ones tend to cope better but our 3 year old got into an immediate habit of waking up for good at 3:30am which I only broke 5 days in by letting him scream it out (something I don't remember doing since he was 13 months old and I was desperate.) He was also routinely falling asleep at 5 sleeping until 8 and then up until 1am. I really thought I wouldn't survive the week and then just as suddenly as it started - it stopped. I was lucky - we were at my inlaws and I wasn't too worried about other people but I know it's more stressful if you're in holiday accommodation. It's only really difficult because you are tired and unsettled and potentially stressed - I thinks I had been so worried about the actual journey (which was a dream) that I just never expected the kids to be so out of sorts. - so for us - next time? We will probably spend one night in Singapore. Went straight through on two night flights via Hong Kong and had a teriffic journey but this time I will cope with the now expected jet lag better if I can have a few hours kip between flights. The other thing is - while flying I believe you let them sleep whenever they want (and I am known to sedate on occasions!) but as soon as you arrive - try to immediately keep them up or put them down at the appropriate time in Australia - even if they are desperate to sleep - even the smallest of babes. The longer you let them work on their old body clock the more habit it will become. Next - do fun things first. I have three children so you would think it wouldn't have surprised me that they got tired and grumpy seeing 23 houses in the 28 degree heat. If you need to do practical things like furniture shopping - go to IKEA or Lecornu (SP) that have great creche/play facilities. Try to make even getting your medicare card fun. We spent more times at Hungry Jack's just because of the play area than I have spent at fast food restaurants for years. And probably obvious to everyone except me - make sure they are drinking. Our UK kids aren't used to the heat so they really don't drink enough and jetlag and dehydration headaches are the worst. I hope this doesn't sound negative - we had a terrific trip - just now I'll know to be mentally prepared!

Good Luck

Liz

Guest Upstix

Ahh jet-lag!!

We went for our recce in May and it was the first time our children had flown - hey why not let it be a marathon then!!

All were ok, we left about 10pm tried to get some sleep after a couple of hours then hey lets serve dinner so you get all the food smells. Carried on sleeping not too bad to Hong Kong then me and the kids (7,9,12), especially me, felt dreadful, so OH and they had a wander round HK airport for a couple of hours while I tried to have a little nap on the seats (not supposed to put your feet on them by the way, but a found a nice sofa hidden away). Felt a bit better after that, bought some travel sickness pills in a pharmacy and they did seem to do the trick - but on arrival at Adelaide the youngest, who wouldn't eat anything for the second leg of the journey was sick in the passport control queue!! Luckily it was only water as she hadn't eaten anything, but we were swiftly taken aside and asked if we had been in contact with 'bird flu'!! Got to laugh!! Anyway we did fall asleep quite early the first night about 8.30 pm and all promptly woke about 5am and it was pitch black outside. We were out and about a lot during the day but we did find ourselves nodding off on the sofa a couple of times in the evenings but not too bad really.

When we fly again I will definitely dose up with travel sickness pills as they did seem to help on the return leg - but I don't think it's ever going to be a pleasant experience, unless you're in first class with your feet up!!

:wacko:

Guest dglamoore

We are lucky in that all the times we have flown we have neither of us ever had jetlag :v_SPIN:

The trip here was Dawns first flight however and we were not sure how she would be - she did get bored and restless at times on the flight but nothing major and when we arrived in singapore we just her busy for the afternoon (luckily by the time we checked in this was only about 5 hours) then put here to bed usual sort of time and she woke at 6.30am next morning bright as a button!!

Don't know if it makes a difference but whenever we fly we put our watches to the local arriving time as soon as we get on the plane and try and get into their time during the flight and worked ok so far!

Lisa:wubclub:

Guest jen&ian

Hi,

maybe we were just lucky but we just didn't have any jet lag problems. We flew both legs over night and arrived at 8:30am. We were absolutely exhausted that day (we only got a few hours sleep over those 2 night flights, the kids slept better but still not great) We managed to keep going till kids fell asleep about 6pm, we both zonked out at about 6:30. We all then slept right through till about 7am, after that we were fine.

Jen:)