Alcohol in Supermarkets????

Guest moonraker1959

Guest moonraker1959

No this can't be true?My sister has just told me Woolworths are going to be selling booze in the near future???Anyone else heard this?My god I'm shocked!lol:shocked:

Guest guest569

instead of Liquerland ???

why not ?? Tesco's and sainsbury's do it. maybe they have a pom in management giving new ideas ???:biglaugh:

Guest moonraker1959
instead of Liquerland ???

why not ?? Tesco's and sainsbury's do it. maybe they have a pom in management giving new ideas ???:biglaugh:

I totally agree,bout time too,thats why I'm shocked!I heard on the news a couple of the managers from UK supermarkets were sent over to give them some idea's,so maybe selling booze is one of them!

Guest moonraker1959
we don't live there yet but that's what makes australia so different we liked your drive through bottle shops which won't be there much longer if the supermarkets start selling..

Yes I too miss the drive throughs.Of course there is a downside in all this.The pubs will probably suffer,which will be unfortunate.I can imagine the aussies though,they'll have a field day!I was quite shocked when I moved to the UK to see alcohol sold in supermarkets.

Guest RichandHelen

Woolworths BWS dan murphys all same company delivered to from the same distribution centre in the same trucks. Delivering those pokey BWS stores in a semi aint fun. Cant wait to see the back of them..

As an adult I must admit I've liked the UK idea but with under age drinking being a problem I think it works better as it currently is. I've been interstate where they have the Liquorland just next door and that's handy too and I think that is a happy medium to reach. I think if it is in the same area that people do their normal day to day shopping needs it has the potential to "normalise" the whole thing and it's the kids and those with a problem with alcohol that need to be protected.

As an adult I must admit I've liked the UK idea but with under age drinking being a problem I think it works better as it currently is. I've been interstate where they have the Liquorland just next door and that's handy too and I think that is a happy medium to reach.

I like the theory but the kids here seem to be able to buy at will from the local bottlo...as young as Year 9 too! Really hacks me off, and yes, we've complained. Perhaps if alcohol were sold in a very public place that might ensure kids can't buy it? As long as the kids aren't able to steal it lol!

There are a few places where the bottle shop is next door to Coles or Woolies, such as Southgate or Marion, and that does seem super-convenient.

Everything changes and I suppose this could be quite handy. I don't imagine it would make anything cheaper but I can dream.....

:cute:LC

Guest Guest75

Everything changes and I suppose this could be quite handy. I don't imagine it would make anything cheaper but I can dream.....

:cute:LC

Well with the amount you drink / soak up by Osmosis - you need it!!

:P:p:p

I actually like that supermarkets there don't sell alcohol. Its kind of refreshing that grocery stores are just that. No clothes, no electrical stuff, CD's DVD's and so on like we now have in the UK.

I enjoy going to different shops for different things. Makes it more personal and enjoyable rather than wandering round a souless cavern for hours. Plus the fact supermarkets sell booze so cheap really has had a knock on effect to local economies here in the UK. Drunken kids on street, people staying home to drink so pubs closing or not able to make a profit, off licences closing, the extra litter left lying in the street. Its not ideal from where I am sitting.

Guest Ryan T. Lion

There's a big uproar here in the UK about supermarkets selling booze stupidly cheap.... BUT, I can't see it fuelling teenage drinking, personally. You have got next to no chance of buying booze under-aged in a UK supermarket. It's too public, the large chains are terrified of being caught doing it etc....... I think even I have been ID'd once or twice - and I'm 35 !!

As a teen in the very early 90's I can remember which local shop was a 'soft touch' for selling booze.

No way would I have dared go to a supermarket back then - no matter how cheap. We wouldn't have done it if it had been free.

I was looking forward to the quirkiness of going to the bottle shop (?) for the first time though!

Hope there's still some left in August!

There's a big uproar here in the UK about supermarkets selling booze stupidly cheap.... BUT, I can't see it fuelling teenage drinking, personally. You have got next to no chance of buying booze under-aged in a UK supermarket. It's too public, the large chains are terrified of being caught doing it etc....... I think even I have been ID'd once or twice - and I'm 35 !!

But kids do get hold of it. Each weekend over the summer here the local senior school kids have impromptu parties out in the woods near us. Each Saturday morning the dog walkers go out and some of us take black bags with us and clear up the mess. One week we filled 4 black bags worth with beer cans, empty spirit bottles, empty cans of deodorant, yes deodorant so possibly huffing the stuff, remains of disposable BBQ's, uneaten food and more). O and not to mention all the broken bottles left smashed and the fire not properly put out.

We know where the booze came from because the fresh new Tesco carrier bags are lying everywhere, as are the own brand food packs and even the bloomin BBQ tongs set also in amongst it. And they for sure were not there the day before.

And last week out on our local cricket pitch a group of teenagers, none of them older then senior school age were sat for an hour or two. They got up and left while we were the other side of the pitch. When I walked over that way after they had gone there were 8 bottles, all empty of vodka, peach scnapps and bacardi. Plus 3 bottles of some energy drink. All just left lying there. I then walked into the local supermarket the next day and they were selling all those 3 spirits on special that week. I can only guess where the kids got them :o Someone bought them for them if one of them didn't themselves.

And yeah, I cleared it all up. The kids certainly didn't bother :arghh:

The kids themselves might not be buying it, but loads of kids know older people who'll buy it for them. Its a problem and the kids have ways and means of getting around it.

Guest moonraker1959
But kids do get hold of it. Each weekend over the summer here the local senior school kids have impromptu parties out in the woods near us. Each Saturday morning the dog walkers go out and some of us take black bags with us and clear up the mess. One week we filled 4 black bags worth with beer cans, empty spirit bottles, empty cans of deodorant, yes deodorant so possibly huffing the stuff, remains of disposable BBQ's, uneaten food and more). O and not to mention all the broken bottles left smashed and the fire not properly put out.

We know where the booze came from because the fresh new Tesco carrier bags are lying everywhere, as are the own brand food packs and even the bloomin BBQ tongs set also in amongst it. And they for sure were not there the day before.

And last week out on our local cricket pitch a group of teenagers, none of them older then senior school age were sat for an hour or two. They got up and left while we were the other side of the pitch. When I walked over that way after they had gone there were 8 bottles, all empty of vodka, peach scnapps and bacardi. Plus 3 bottles of some energy drink. All just left lying there. I then walked into the local supermarket the next day and they were selling all those 3 spirits on special that week. I can only guess where the kids got them :o Someone bought them for them if one of them didn't themselves.

And yeah, I cleared it all up. The kids certainly didn't bother :arghh:

The kids themselves might not be buying it, but loads of kids know older people who'll buy it for them. Its a problem and the kids have ways and means of getting around it.

Its a real shame this happens,and its not just exclusive to the UK either.

Guest guest569

I drop into dan Murpy's every friday afternoon and the last few weeks 4 youngsters have turned up, the 2 in school uniform wait outside and the other 2 go in !!

I know it wrong but most of us have been there and done it !!! Its all ok in moderation.

Let the do gooders throw the first stones !!!:policeman:

I drop into dan Murpy's every friday afternoon and the last few weeks 4 youngsters have turned up, the 2 in school uniform wait outside and the other 2 go in !!

I know it wrong but most of us have been there and done it !!! Its all ok in moderation.

Let the do gooders throw the first stones !!!:policeman:

I have no problem with a bit of drinking. It happens, its almost to be expected. As you say, we all did it (well many of us :cute: ) . And there will always be someone older to buy it for them or some other way to get it.

My objections (UK side) are to the continual trail of rubbish that is left behind each week in a lovely area which people, kids, dogs and horses all use. Its insane and you'd think that 20 or so kids between them, one of them would have a bit of consideration for everyone else and suggest they and their mates at least clear the stuff up rather than leave it lying around. Same as on the cricket pitch. There was a bin not 5 metres away and not a one of them bothered to put those bottles in there. Just left the crap to someone else to clean up.

When I was younger, even if we had some beers out on the beach or camping out overnight some such, we never left it a mess. Always took our rubbish someplace. Perhaps its the country code instilled in me, take your rubbish home, but I am sorely disappointed when I see the mess left around here now.

Guest rich

Tell you what, I rarely see kids over here lounging about on street corners getting drunk and being lairy. Most of the ones i know of take it to the beach or home for parties - i reckon they're probably a bit more savvy about it here. It's definitely preferable to what i used to see in Birmingham anyway! Just wish if it was at the beach they'd tidy better, but hey ho, can't have it all.