another silly question for ones in adelaide...

Guest mOZzy

all these questions keep popping up now ...

you know how it is with small children once they start nursery - they catch every illness possible. -

so how is it once moving across the world ... is this a factor we should consider??

will they catch everything going around? and us too?

:wacko::jiggy:

Guest sarahsmartiepants

In the first year, I felt sick and had lots of the "D" word! I asked the doc and she said its the different bugs that you are not immune to here, once you get used to them you will be fine. It was only me, not the rest of the family!

If you bring your kids immune records with you you can tke it to the doc and they will give you any they have missed out on in the uK, as they immunise agianst other things here too.

sarah

In relation to the immunisations, I read somewhere (another forum I think) that when you get to Oz, go to a Docs with your kiddies red books and they should fill out a form to add them to a national data base, you will then receive reminders when immunisations are due and will also inform you of any catch up programmes.

I am sure the kids will be fine, they and us are bound to catch things as like Sarah said we have to get used to different bugs. I am dreading it as Niamh catches everything anyway (problem stemming from being prem) she has just got over another cold and stomach bug!!!

Guest donna T

We have been here 9 months and so far (touch wood) the kids have been fine. The usual colds etc but nothing they wouldn't have had before. Hubbie on the other hand has come down with everything known to man or is that just Man Flu):biglaugh:

Good luck

Guest salisbury massive

Just a word about the vacinations. They do things differently here and you may find you'll have to have vaccinations here you've already had in the UK. If you don't have the vaccinations redone it can cause problems when they start kindy and even as far as centrelink payments being cut until you get vaccinated.

Most doctors do it for free, but be warned, if they don't have the vaccination in the surgery, you may have to pay for a perscription and then take it back to the doctor to have it done. Most councils have clinics that run in the daytime and vaccinate for free. Tea Tree Gully Council have a clinic Tuesday and Thursdays 10am - 12. Just rock up with the red book and wait.

I'm not sure about the reminder thing, you do go on the Medicare register and they send you a list of everything thats been done so far but I know I won't get a reminder for Hayley next year when she's four. They just stuck a sticker on her red book to remind me. I moved my eldest (she's 14) out of state school and into private in July this year and we got a letter from the council clinic saying she'd missed some vaccinations and could we go to the clinic to get them done. These were hepititis and the cervical cancer vacine.

Jo

We claimed Child Care Benefit as we're on a 136 visa and when we filled the form in there was a section about vaccinations. When the award came through there was a letter shortly afterwards stating that the childrens vaccinations had to be up to date or the CCB could be withdrawn. I had to take their red books to our doctor's and they've now had further jabs, the main one being hepatitis B. It's really straightforward though and nothing to worry about.

Liz