Moosh

The cost of asthma inhalers

How much do you pay for yours?

I feel ripped off having paid $34.20 for a Symbicort inhaler on prescription. Won't be getting that again. I'm sure its cheaper just to buy the standard inhalers over the counter. :nah:

How much do you pay for yours?

I feel ripped off having paid $34.20 for a Symbicort inhaler on prescription. Won't be getting that again. I'm sure its cheaper just to buy the standard inhalers over the counter. :nah:

I very much doubt it. I haven't bought one here, but I'm pretty sure inhalers aren't much less than $30 anywhere. They're subsidised at £7.80 or whatever a prescription os now in the UK.

A standard blue inhaler is around $10 but this is a special one, it must be extra special!!

Guest Mitchell

If it's the one that looks like a purple spaceship then I pay about $35 for it. It's a bugger as I've tried weaning myself off it but I just get wheezy.

No its a white rocket with a red base. I'll just revert to buying the old fashioned sort over the counter. Seem to work faster too.

Ventolin (or the generic equivalent) around $10 over the counter. Salbutamol (is that right? brown one) more expensive and only available on script even though it is a preventer, but OH has managed without that since being here

Salbutamol sulphate is the active ingredient in the ventolin/airomir (blue) inhalers, which are relievers, to use when you're having an attack.

the brown inhalers are preventers and they're mild doses of steroid, hence only available on prescription. (haven't had one for years though, so can't be sure).

The red symbicort inhaler is a two in one. It contains eformoterol to open up the airways, and a steroid preventer. If you're wanting to use the standard blue inhaler instead, you need to talk to your doctor before doing so, as you may need to be weaned off the steroid, or use a brown inhaler in addition to the blue one..