Guest BenJay

Ambulance costs - be careful!

Guest BenJay

Last week I had a silly accident which resulted in a cut eyebrow and a few stiches. I had to be taken by ambulance to a nearby hospital.

I have just received an invoice for this literally 5 minutes ride - $800.

I am only writing this to warn these of you, who do not have at least an ambulance insurance. Their (SA Ambulance Service) $129 per year per family seems to be a good deal.

In my case I will be covered by private insurance.

To reiterate what I say whenever ambulances come up in a thread. Private Health only cover for "emergency". i.e. the initial trip to the closest hospital. If you for example then need a transfer due to better facilities in another hospital, or not enough beds in a regional hospital etc, that may or may not be covered, it's a big grey area with huge loopholes, so it is better to take out the SA ambo cover, as this is full cover (especially important if you go on road trips, as you're likely to need transfering at some point from the regional hospital to one in Adelaide/other large city if you have a bad accident, and that bill would be astronomical).

Guest Ryan T. Lion

Good tip... thanks.

I knew it was important - but the "supplementary" ambulance trip to the next hospital is a new one on me.

That's $129 in our yearly budget then..... Sweet !