The Monaghans

travel insurance for oap's ?

Hello all . Just asking the question in the hope someone may offer useful tips . Problem is parents are coming over next march , as the old man is 74 the medical insurance is over £1000 for nine weeks (surely not !). They have tried all sorts of policies with different insurance companies and are of good health . Obviously if there is a way round this it would be a real bonus .

Perhaps there may be a way of getting private medical cover here in Australia for the time they want to spend at a reasonable cost , they were hoping to come over for 3 months but with cover so expensive had to cut their holiday short . Many thanks in advance for any info .

Cheers Rich

Guest Libby1971

Hi LIz

Call Deb if you haven't already - her dad is over and may be able to tell you what he has done.

Guest Matt & Suzi

I would be interested in finding that info out, for when my parents visit my dad is 71, and ive heard insurance is very expensive.

hello try webjet.com.au they have a years cover worldwide for $399, can't see any age restrictions but you might to look at the small print!!

Guest moneypenny

Hello Monaghans

Hubby and I have just had 4 weeks insurance from GO TRAVEL.co.uk for £109. This was for age group 65/69. Just took the liberty of getting a quick quote for you and guessing both your parents at over 70 and it can up with £438. It seems a pity to cut short there time with you when every minute is precious. If like you say they are both healthy get the cheapest cover you can.

Moneypenny

Hi Liz

I looked into this for Andys mum and dad before we came out to Oz and found a few insurers that would insure older folks on www.moneysavingexpert.com Andys dad is 79 with a few medical problems - previous heart attack, angina, high blood pressure - cant remember which insurer it was (one on that site) but to cover them both for up to six months worked out at about £700. Some insurers wouldn't cover pre existing conditions and that worked out a lot cheaper. I think the quote I got ended up being an annual policy as it worked out cheaper. Another good site to use too if you are ringing companies in the UK with 0845 or 0870 numbers is www.saynoto0870.com as alot of companies only have these numbers - you type in the number you are given and it will then give you an alternative 01 or 02 number - works out cheaper when using phone cards.

Lindsey

Hi All

It is not for me to comment on what others choose to do.

Suffice to say that my mother (now 87) hs made many, many visitor trips to Australia and she has never had travel insurance.

I know that the DIAC website chunters that anyone of 70 or over who wants a long stay tourist visa must have medical insurance. That is because the website is aimed at all comers from all countries, most of which do not have Reciprocal Health Care Agreements with Australia.

However, there is an RHCA between the UK and Oz and it counts as medical insurance for the purpose of a long stay tourist visa. The Parent just registers with Medicare as a temporary patient.

Hope this helps.

Gill

Having made numerous trips to Australia in the past 15 years, we have also not had extra insurance, even though my wife has a number of medical problems and has to have check ups while here.

We now have our parent visa's and are in Aus, and registered with medicare. With the reciprocal medical care agreement, you only have to register with Medicare to receive about 80% of any costs back.

The only problem could arise if somebody passed away whilst on holiday, and wanted to be airlifted back to the UK, which would be very expensive. Another point, be aware that if a stopover is planned no health cover would be available. (Sorry about this part, makes me sound morbid)

Should say we are both in our sixties, and enjoying our time here.

Here are the details of the RHCAs which Australia has entered into with other countries including the UK:

http://www.medicareaustralia.gov.au/public/migrants/visitors/uk.shtml

This link gives sublinks to the PBS:

http://www.medicareaustralia.gov.au/public/index.shtml

Reptriating a dead body intact costs the earth and all sorts of permits have to be arranged, plus fineral directors sent to collect the body from the airport UK etc. Bringing ashes out of Australia and back to the UK costs next to nothing and does not require anything except the death certificate and evidence of when and where the cremation took place. Hayshake is not being morbid about this in my view. I think he is right to acddress the possible realities that might have to be faced.

Hayshake is also right in saying that the UK does not have reciprocal health care agreements with any of the countries in which one is likely to want to make a stop-over en route to or from Australia.

Congrtulations on your visa, Hayshake, and I am delighted to hear that you ad your wife are now settled in Oz.

Best wishes

Gill