School years/ages

jim&nik

Guest abbiedog

hi

I understand that they will be in the same school year that they are in now. They will finish their school year in England in July and then remain in that year group in Oz til January when they go up as they would have done if in England in September , if that makes sense. the Oz school yearruns Jan - dec . if they are July birthdays it means they will be in the middle of thier school year instead of being one of the younget.

jenny

hi Jenny, thats really useful, we are hoping to fly late August and iv been trying to find out what year my son who is in year 10 here would be in and have been getting worried that because he is 16 in September (he is the oldest) would be in their last year, 12, and therefore have no chance of acheiving any form of qualifications, but if that is the case he would have 2years. i didnt realise the years were the same. Thanks

Sarah

Hi

My daughter is 17 in September and is currently in Year 11, so yes, sounds like your son would be in Year 10 till then end of 2011 here. That's actually a pretty good year to start in as they make their subject selections for Year 11 and 12 then, so he'd have plenty of time to settle before hitting the final high pressure years.

As has been said many times though, the schools here are pretty flexible with years so he may well be offered the chance at some schools to go into Year 11...

Have a chat with him and see what his preferences are, and make those known to whichever school you speak to. It's a tough age for a kid to move country so the important thing is to get his buy-in into the decision. (If it helps with that, he'll be able to get his driving L plates here when he's 16 - now how scary is that!)

HTH

Diane

Guest m.jephcott

My son was 9 in August and he is in year 4, we moved in september and he had justed started year 5 in the UK and had to go back to year 3. The cut off is May, so children born between sept and May will be roughly the same in year group and those born may-aug will be a year below. I think schools can be flexible if children are finding it to easy. Hope this is helpful

Hi

My daughter is 17 in September and is currently in Year 11, so yes, sounds like your son would be in Year 10 till then end of 2011 here. That's actually a pretty good year to start in as they make their subject selections for Year 11 and 12 then, so he'd have plenty of time to settle before hitting the final high pressure years.

As has been said many times though, the schools here are pretty flexible with years so he may well be offered the chance at some schools to go into Year 11...

Have a chat with him and see what his preferences are, and make those known to whichever school you speak to. It's a tough age for a kid to move country so the important thing is to get his buy-in into the decision. (If it helps with that, he'll be able to get his driving L plates here when he's 16 - now how scary is that!)

Hi Diane,thanks.... thats good to know, im glad he has minimum of 2 years, have been quite concerned about him being able to acheive his SACE (hope thats correct) especially as we are taken him away from uk school so close to his GCSEs. He is very up for the move and is quite happy to move down a year once there, if necessary..infact his only concern is what style of clothing he will wear once in Oz!! I have emailed the school we are looking at and they have been helpful about what they need to see from his present school to assertain his educational abilility. Its all slowly falling into place, and is getting pretty exciting if not scarey!! p.s cant imagine him behind a steering wheel!!!!

Sarah

Guest bishop3912

Hi my 9 yr old has a July birthday to, she was in yr 5 in UK but is in Grade 4 here in Oz. If the r born July till dec they tend to go down a grade out here from what I can figure. My daughters settled in really well, we were happy for her to b in grade 4 so that she was with kids the same age as her. regards C