The water here

Guest Squareman

Guest Aussie pat
In the short term before getting a filter (do they not have water filter jugs over there ala Brita?) you could boil your water and let it cool before drinking, that would also get rid of any bacteria etc your body is not used to dealing with.

Yes they do have Brita jugs over here and we always use them to filter our drinking water. Even when we go camping. Ours use a 'maxtra' filter. So don't throw away your jugs before leaving the UK as you can get filters for them in Adelaide.

PS We'd love a puratap but don't have enough room under our sink for one.

Really interesting.

We have the Brita filters in all the houses and use them ourselves. I use them for the water for cooking. However, they don't work with my OH's stomach issues...he still gets cramps with the filtered water but not the 10 litre supermarket water. The fridges have filters for the water and ice dispensers but the ice cubes have the same effect. There's obviously something that the cartridge filters don't take out that makes him sick.

I don't have a puratap for the same reason...figured that whatever the cartridge doesn't remove...the puratap wouldn't either? Maybe I should boil the water and try that to see if it's a bug rather than high calcium or other minerals? The rest of the family is fine.

Tamara

A little known fact about south australian mains water

The addition of fluoride to drinking water is primarily done to reduce the overall amount of dental decay (cavities). This addition has been happening since 1945 in the United States and in parts of South Australia since 1971.

makes you wonder if these domestic filters remove the good and bad elements. I know we would all agree with anything that promotes less dental visits.

A little known fact about south australian mains water

The addition of fluoride to drinking water is primarily done to reduce the overall amount of dental decay (cavities). This addition has been happening since 1945 in the United States and in parts of South Australia since 1971.

makes you wonder if these domestic filters remove the good and bad elements. I know we would all agree with anything that promotes less dental visits.

Quite a bit of evidence that fluoride isn't the dental saviour it was once thought to be. An increasing number of eminent doctors and scientists are lobbying hard for its removal because of the effects it has in lab tests. It's been linked to arthritis, osteoporosis, Alzheimer's, kidney failure and cancer. Oh, and it's also been linked to tooth damage (pitting).

Jim

Yes they do have Brita jugs over here and we always use them to filter our drinking water. Even when we go camping. Ours use a 'maxtra' filter. So don't throw away your jugs before leaving the UK as you can get filters for them in Adelaide.

PS We'd love a puratap but don't have enough room under our sink for one.

We use a Brita over here in the UK as when we moved in 09 we went from a private water supply from an underground spring (best water I've ever drunk) to a hard water area. Our kettle is filled with limescale the size of lasagne sheets otherwise and it doesn't taste as good. Since we've used the filter its been a lot better :)

Good to know we can bring it with us. Thanks :)

Guest moonraker1959
I've tasted the water from the desal & its quite drinkable, dare I say better than the current tap water.

Whether you like it or not, the growing population here means the desal will be needed in future drought years. Plenty of other places around the world have them and they produce a reliable source of water. Nothing else can be relied on here.

The cost is the price you pay for living here & contributing to the increasing population. The alternative is to move somewhere wetter, like the UK for example :eek:

Well I have to say I am becoming slightly worried even about the UK water wise.I live Sth West and we have had hardly any rain for more than 2 months.I walk alot in the countryside and noticed cracks in the earth on the fields!!!! I am still waiting for my water butts to refill!

Guest guest4504
Well I have to say I am becoming slightly worried even about the UK water wise.I live Sth West and we have had hardly any rain for more than 2 months.I walk alot in the countryside and noticed cracks in the earth on the fields!!!! I am still waiting for my water butts to refill!

No need to worry, summer is coming .......... Loads of rain to come ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest fatman
The water here is very heavily chlorinated....some days you can smell it more than others. My skin is always dry here, and I break out as well. I try not to drink too much of the tap water (although I suspect our bodies would eventually get used to it).

Hi there!!!

Just reading your quote on Adelaide water.... if there's lots of Chloride in that then that will mean a nightmare for the hair right?...I have my hair partially coloured here in the UK... two shades of brown, but due to us having "well water" the colour really suffers... hairdressers always know when a client has the well water they say...... Ok, looks like thats something else we will need to consider when we move to Adelaide, the water...... there's always something eh!?....

Janis (Aberdeenshire/Scotland... IN THE WIND & RAIN AGAIN!!! :arghh:)

Guest Perth Pom

Sounds just like Perth water, or certainly Perth's northern suburbs.

Our water is disgusting. It comes from undergound bores and is the colour of rust!! Of course to remove that rusty colour before it gets to our taps, it is treated with a cocktail of chemicals. You can smell the chlorine in it. I reckon it's more highly chlorinated than our swimming pool lol.

Luckily our underbench 2 stage filter removes 95% of the nasties.

Ah! When I lived in Port Noarlunga back in the late 60's 70's we used to laugh at the quality of the water!! It was great some days you would turn the tap on to fill up the bath and it would be a nice rusty brown colour :shocked:. Mum always told us to let it run a bit until it was less rusty brown and then get in - never did me any harm :jiggy:. everyone new the quality was bad but we still drunk it and it didn't really have any bad side affects.

However,, as I have been in the UK now for 30 odd years I woner how my stomach will react to the water on my return..............:nah:

The water is not brown anymore...too many rules and regs and big brother doing quality checks...but...there are days that it's a nice cloudy colour...is that calcium?

There was a report in the newspaper this week about the water quality and it failed the tests all over the place.

There's always beer and McLaren Vale wine!

Tamara

The water is not brown anymore...too many rules and regs and big brother doing quality checks...but...there are days that it's a nice cloudy colour...is that calcium?

There was a report in the newspaper this week about the water quality and it failed the tests all over the place.

There's always beer and McLaren Vale wine!

Tamara

Oh i look forward to the beer but especially the wine - however, looking at the cost of living over there and how it's going up and up I may not have money for beer and wine :(

Oh i look forward to the beer but especially the wine - however, looking at the cost of living over there and how it's going up and up I may not have money for beer and wine :(

I have notiec that our water seems to have a bit of a bleachy smell to it...bizarre we dnt drink anything straight outta the tap all through the fridge filter...

As for beer mine tastes great using the tap water....we went to Melly a couple of months back....and there water tasted cack...

HG