Mr & Mrs Average pay??

Guest Guest5035

$1000 per week is a good income. At todays exchange rate, that's £653 a week! :err:

As the exchange rate from the UK to Australia is so poor, when you convert your Adelaide salary it makes us feel very rich living here (although of course it is all relative as we don't earn £'s so it's more for fun really), but at the current exchange rate my partner earns £27,852 a year MORE than he used to in his job 4 years ago in Nottingham.

Reading some of the comments after that article, it sounds like if you think that is on the low side for pay, you are possibly in the minority!

What's the point of converting to Pounds anyway? Once you earning a salary in dollars, you are spending it in dollars and as has been mentioned many times over the recent years, cost of everyday living materials (with the exception of petrol) is pretty high here in comparison to the UK.

Just as an example, what do people pay for a loaf of sliced bread in the UK? Here it is not unusual to pay nearly $4 for one - convert that into pounds!

Guest The Dimmocks

We are definately below average then and we survive, we get money from Centre Link but that still leaves us just below average. We got 3 kids, two cars and dont miss out on anything.

Guest Guest5035

Just as an example, what do people pay for a loaf of sliced bread in the UK? Here it is not unusual to pay nearly $4 for one - convert that into pounds!

$4 for bread:shocked::shocked: never paid that Diane, but do agree it was cheap in UK last August when we were there.

Stevo

Having read the article, thought I better go get a job, as as I live where the average wage is $50k per year. If fact, got pretty excited, however, a quick scan of seek reveals most salaries advertised for admin stuff are around $35k. Just goes to show, how skewed averages can get when a minority of mega high earners are taken into the calculations :huh:

On the plus side, I have given up the search for a job sharpish :biglaugh:

Guest kerfumph
We both work part time but if our pay was adjusted for full time hours we don't earn anywhere near this amount. Oh well...time for a career change!

Tamara

"How to win friends" Epic fail. You should have deleted your sig. LOL.

Reading some of the comments after that article, it sounds like if you think that is on the low side for pay, you are possibly in the minority!

What's the point of converting to Pounds anyway? Once you earning a salary in dollars, you are spending it in dollars and as has been mentioned many times over the recent years, cost of everyday living materials (with the exception of petrol) is pretty high here in comparison to the UK.

I think it is human nature to convert to pounds when you first arrive and for a period after, like I said we were just converting salaries for fun/out of interest after reading the article. My parents were over recently from the UK and my mum reckoned a cauliflower here was 5 times the cost of the UK and my dad reckoned paint was 3 times the cost of the UK.

I think it is human nature to convert to pounds when you first arrive and for a period after, like I said we were just converting salaries for fun/out of interest after reading the article. My parents were over recently from the UK and my mum reckoned a cauliflower here was 5 times the cost of the UK and my dad reckoned paint was 3 times the cost of the UK.

It's been a while since I've been in the UK but have certainly noticed prices going up steadily over here. And don't even get me started on bananas...!!!!

Guest Guest5035
It's been a while since I've been in the UK but have certainly noticed prices going up steadily over here. And don't even get me started on bananas...!!!!

You go back shortly if i remember correctly Diane, you'll be in for a shock at Asda etc etc

stevo

You go back shortly if i remember correctly Diane, you'll be in for a shock at Asda etc etc

stevo

:huh:Asda? Asda? I only ever shop at Fortnum and Masons when in the Uk, dahhhhling! Or Waitrose if I'm really desperate and I'm out in the sticks!

(Does Waitrose still exist??)

Guest BurgessFamily

The $1000 / week was BEFORE tax, so that's a salary of $52,000. It's not a bad salary, but I wouldn't say it was excessive. :eek:

:huh:Asda? Asda? I only ever shop at Fortnum and Masons when in the Uk, dahhhhling! Or Waitrose if I'm really desperate and I'm out in the sticks!

(Does Waitrose still exist??)

Didn't you see the photos last weekend of Kate Middleton pushing her shopping trolley into Waitrose, if it is good enough for royalty it's good enough for you Diane ha ha, mind you, you just need the 3 royal bodyguards and a back up car with you then you really will be food shopping like a princess! ;)

Guest Adelaide_bound

On the whole 'UK vs Australia' thing, the biggie imho is the rent - $400 a week vs £650 a month or £152 ish a week- at the current exchange rate thats only $245 ish - so MASSIVELY more expensive in Australia - so it doesn't sound like its millions really the average wage, although agree its a squewed figure.

If a cauliflower is massively expensive, don't buy cauliflower, buy potatoes, or parsnips or something else, if bread is massively expensive, make your own, or don't eat bread etc....but you need a roof over your head...

But then, apparently property is all about location location location, and I know where I would rather be located lol :D

Now I know why I went 15 times over budget on my painting cauliflowers project:biglaugh:

Cooler

Many items here are outrageously expensive,let's not kid ourselves.Bananas;)Bed Linen,housing(for what you get)second hand cars,some groceries in the Supermarkets,decent clothes,motoring fines,etc,etc.But you easily learn to adapt to the prevailing circumstances once you get here IMO.In fact,it is possible to live here cheaper than you ever did in the UK!We often have what we call"No spending Days"here,because the outdoor life costs nowt!Some days me and OH are amazed that we have had a fulfilling day out,down on the beach walking,or cycling for miles ,or sightseeing,and have not really spent anything all day.People should not be put off coming here because it appears to be mega expensive.Although it is tough to start with,things usually fall into place after a while.Just gotta keep plugging away till they do.:D

Guest BurgessFamily
This is odd that the 50K is good now, as an earlier thread :

http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/money-finance/23195-cost-living-sa.html

Stating that 70 - 80 k is what would be needed ?, so there should be 2 incomes needed, seems very expensive if so.

$50k + $25k would be livable. I remember earning minimum wage in the UK and thinking it was a lot. Different perspectives, different lifestyles, different dreams.

For me, my goal was to be on $65k minimum to match the 32k GBP I had been on, but that was a couple of years ago and things have moved on. :D

Guest guest4504

From many jobs I see advertised even in trades and admin, most only pay 35- 40 K ( 20$-22$ ph 38 /40 hrs ). So based on the thread pasted earlier, both would need to work full time just to 'live' . That was my thought on how expensive it must be, even if there are no high lifestyle or frills .

Guest moonraker1959
From many jobs I see advertised even in trades and admin, most only pay 35- 40 K ( 20$-22$ ph 38 /40 hrs ). So based on the thread pasted earlier, both would need to work full time just to 'live' . That was my thought on how expensive it must be, even if there are no high lifestyle or frills .

My sister who lives in Adelaide earns that amount as a cleaner!:cute: