Guest ebstar

UK Wills???

Guest ebstar

Hi we have been thinking perhaps we should get our wills written up but a few people have mentioned that we would need to re do them when we get to Oz. Something to do with UK wills not being valid in Oz. Is there anyone that has made the leap with more info on this please. Thanks

Guest woolmerdj

Hi, your Uk will isn't valid in Australia. If you have most of your assets here then you will need to do another one. I was adviced to go to the public trustee but then realised the estate would have to pay quite a big percentage to have it executed.We also did something called a power of attorney which would give my husband the power to manage my medical treatment should I become impaired. I copied my will and sent it to my sister in the UK for safe storage and just incase we all died at once, as we have no family here. Also, I dont think your pension is automatically included in your will.

Guest guest3462
    Hi, your Uk will isn't valid in Australia. If you have most of your assets here then you will need to do another one. I was adviced to go to the public trustee but then realised the estate would have to pay quite a big percentage to have it executed.We also did something called a power of attorney which would give my husband the power to manage my medical treatment should I become impaired. I copied my will and sent it to my sister in the UK for safe storage and just incase we all died at once, as we have no family here. Also, I dont think your pension is automatically included in your will.

Thanks for this, we have been recently talking about getting a will sorted out now we (finally) have our PR visa. ?I have no idea where to start for researching so this is a good place for me!

You really should do one in the UK before you leave (what if your plane went down and your kids survived, you didn't? Pretty unlikely but still...) and then another one when you get settled here and have started accumulating Australian assets.

There is a good thread on Poms In Oz about what happens to kids if their parents split up here in Oz and one wants to go back, the other doesn't, so perhaps you could discuss this with your partner (while things are rosey!) and agree, and maybe put in writing, what your wishes are in this scenario!!