Nearly £2k agent fees for 457 visa. Is that right?

Guest Jadeyk

Guest Jadeyk

Hey guys,

Just been sent a contract for my brother to consider for gaining a 457 visa from the agent myself and my partner are using for our PR visa. They want to charge him £900+VAT up front and £900+VAT with the submission of his application to DIAC.

I can't put my finger on it but this seems very high to me. Maybe because a) they're asking for it before we have even found a sponsor and b) because unlike mine and my partners application where we don't have to pay the 2nd instalment until after we have been granted our visa he has to pay before he knows if he has it or not. I have tried to explain to the agent that my brother had to leave Oz after trying to gain a sponsored visa onshore because he had worked too many hours on his bridging visa whilst applying. Making us a little nervous that he might be refused offshore but they aren't really having an open discussion about this.

I'm guessing most people find a sponsor and then apply for a 457 visa but do they use agents and if so how much did they pay? Did anyone find an agent that helped to find a sponsor? The agent has said he has a few contacts looking for someone just like him (chef) but should he wait for a job offer before paying the first fee? It's a lot of money on top of the actual visa fees too.

Thanks

Jade

Guest Jadeyk

Yes of course but it was because of my brother complicated history and agents promise of help with finding a sponsor that made us want to have one help us, plus I've heard many sponsors are willing to pay all the fees (so we were expecting to pay after agent found sponsor) guess it's a chicken and egg thing!

I would try sending of your resume to potential employers first to see if you can gain a sponsor direct. As for the complications if an agent can get around it you will to. Working a few extra hours i wouldnt of though would be a visa stopper.

Guest Cara&Gav
Hey guys,

Just been sent a contract for my brother to consider for gaining a 457 visa from the agent myself and my partner are using for our PR visa. They want to charge him £900+VAT up front and £900+VAT with the submission of his application to DIAC.

I can't put my finger on it but this seems very high to me. Maybe because a) they're asking for it before we have even found a sponsor and b) because unlike mine and my partners application where we don't have to pay the 2nd instalment until after we have been granted our visa he has to pay before he knows if he has it or not. I have tried to explain to the agent that my brother had to leave Oz after trying to gain a sponsored visa onshore because he had worked too many hours on his bridging visa whilst applying. Making us a little nervous that he might be refused offshore but they aren't really having an open discussion about this.

I'm guessing most people find a sponsor and then apply for a 457 visa but do they use agents and if so how much did they pay? Did anyone find an agent that helped to find a sponsor? The agent has said he has a few contacts looking for someone just like him (chef) but should he wait for a job offer before paying the first fee? It's a lot of money on top of the actual visa fees too.

Thanks

Jade

Hiya,

I don't know about temp visa's but we did pay the last part of our agent fees when they applied for the visa and haven't waited for us to be accepted.

But like thebacons said maybe you could have a bash at trying to find a sponsor first and see if you have any luck.

You could also get a quote off a couple of other agents & see what they say. Do you want me to ask our agent for you & see what advice they give/what they would charge? (Go Matilda)

Cara xx

Yes of course but it was because of my brother complicated history and agents promise of help with finding a sponsor that made us want to have one help us, plus I've heard many sponsors are willing to pay all the fees (so we were expecting to pay after agent found sponsor) guess it's a chicken and egg thing!

Hi Jadey

It sounds like you have been talking to an Agent in the UK because you mention VAT?

However, that is academic. The employer will be in Australia and it is the employer's prerogative to instruct a Registered Migration Agent in Oz to advise the employer and deal with the employer's end of obtaining the visa. In practice, this means that the RMA instructed by the employer also acts for the prospective immigrant employee and the sc 457 employer pays the RMA's fees.

DIAC - the Aussie Department of Immigration - frown on the idea of the employee paying any part of the costs of obtaining a sc 457 visa. The employer is supposed to be the one with the problem that can't be solved without importing a foreigner, so it is reasonable to expect the employer to pay all of the costs of solving his problem. That is the theory. In practice, DIAC are keen to ensure that no foreigner should try to bribe an employer into supporting his/her desire to move to Oz by offering to pay all the costs on the employer's behalf.

However the bit about the employer choosing the RMA is important. I wouldn't tell a migration agent anything about my business if I had not chosen the agent in question by myself and for myself.

Cheers

Gill

DIAC - the Aussie Department of Immigration - frown on the idea of the employee paying any part of the costs of obtaining a sc 457 visa. The employer is supposed to be the one with the problem that can't be solved without importing a foreigner, so it is reasonable to expect the employer to pay all of the costs of solving his problem. That is the theory. In practice, DIAC are keen to ensure that no foreigner should try to bribe an employer into supporting his/her desire to move to Oz by offering to pay all the costs on the employer's behalf.

However the bit about the employer choosing the RMA is important. I wouldn't tell a migration agent anything about my business if I had not chosen the agent in question by myself and for myself.

Exactly the points I was going to make. I don't know how the charges compare to other agents (we didn't use one), but it's more the concept of the migrant paying the 457 that I find troubling.

Jim

Guest Jadeyk

Well I put my questions to the agent who has said that his would not be taken until there was a job offer in place and that the cost of the visa would be covered by the employer.

He said that he has connections to a recruitment agent in Oz that work on behalf of several businesses looking to sponsor people on a 457.

I think this sounds ok. What about you lot? It's not easy to find sponsors yourself x

Hi Jadey

I have sent you a PM.

What is your bro in law's occupation and whereabouts does he hope to move to, please?

I smell a rat, my friend. I won't try to charge you a dime for introducing your bro in law to Jamie Smith, for example, who trades as Hire A Migrant and is perhaps one of the best-known international recruitment agents of his type.

http://www.hireamigrant.com/html/key_people.html

So what's with the mate of a mate skulduggery and the suggestion that bro in law should pay a middleman to speak to to the middleman's mate out in Oz?

I advise you - strongly - to stay away from the agent you have been talking to because he is trying to sell you something and what he is trying to sell looks remarkably like Hot Air to me.

If you want a migration agent who is NOT after anything except his clients' best interests, my own strong recommendation would be George Lombard in Sydney:

http://austimmigration.com.au/site/?q=node/1

George is not as wealthy as some but he is 100% honest and 100% skilled - which is much more than I can say of many of his competitors in this field.

Cheers

Gill

Just to say that I came over on this visa - I got a sponsor by emailing potential employers. I never used an agent because I spoke to a couple and realised that I actually knew more about the whole process than they did, especially where there are any 'difficult' circumstances. Also, my employers paid me the money that they would otherwise have had to pay the agent, yes - they get paid by you and your employer! Waste of money if you ask me.

Good luck