Sign in to follow this  
Guest Shaun O

Teaching Assistants

Guest Shaun O

My wife is a teaching assistant and studying her NVQ Level 2 at present. Are there positions for teaching assistants in Adelaide?

Guest leeannekays

Hi, Im currently studying my Supported Teaching and Education in schools (teaching assistant). We think we will be going out next year if all goes to plan! What area are you thinking of heading for?

Guest Weez

Hi they are called SSO''s here (school service officers...i think!!) by 2013 you will need a certificate 3 in childcare so you should be able to get your qualifications recognised and changed over here, think you need to go to tafe for that, SSO jobs are hard to find and they usually just offer a years contract, tho once you foot is in the door you can usually be guaranteed on going work, a big shortage of SSO's are in special needs schools and units, you will always find work there.

Guest Team 'W'

Hi

NVQ level two is not recognised here in SA , i know cos i also have two and was progressing on to three when we arrived here , they do offer you some [not a great deal] starting points but you have to do all the foot work yourself ...

You will prob have to set yourself up on a course or two which isnt cheap unless you are on a visa thats going to be permanent ,then you will get help with fees and stuff ..

You can also apply to be a temp for them but again you have to get a police clearance from oz cos the uk one is not sufficient ..

Also you have to go on a first aid course [again at your own cost] some might waver this if they take you on ...

This is what i have experience while being here ,some people might say different and prob walked straight into a job ,which is fab if it works that way for you ...

But go for it !!!

Best wishes Elaine

Guest BurgessFamily

The wife is an SSO. They are generally employed on a casual basis, in a resource pool. You find out your hours/days each start of term. She enjoys the job, and does it for the love of it rather than the money.

She had to pay and do several courses before she could begin work (in order to get her DECS number - which allowed her to work in schools)...and I'm not sure if it helps the fact she's a qualified social worker?

There are some employed on a perm basis, but I think this is in the extreme.

Guest Shaun O

Would it be better for my wife to transfer to a CACHE certificate rather than the teaching assistant course? Thanks in advance!!

I have worked as an SSO for a few years now and my experience is different to other's on this thread. I thought I'd post, in the hope it might allay some fears re.qualifications etc.

I have no formal qualifications but had worked as a teacher's aid for about six years before coming over. As luck would have it, a kind principal verified my skills after I had volunteered in her school for a couple of weeks. The only two things I need to have are my Mandatory Notification cert (or whatever it's calked now) and a police check. The Mandatory Notification is a one-day, easy as course, which if the school won't pay for, is tax deductible.

As someone mentioned, if you can prove you have experience of working with kids who have special needs, you are more likely to get work through DECS. It seems they are far more likely to cover vacancies in this area to maintain the correct ratio of kids/carers.

Otherwise, apply, take your resume round and make personal contact. If you have come in, said "Hi!" and left a favourable impression, you are more likely to be selected from the list of potential employees sent by DECS.

DECS like to employ on a casual basis although I know of some lucky ducks who have at least some of their hours as permanent - most of them are ECWs. For the past three years at my present school, I have been employed on a term-by-term basis. Despite being assured the school intended to request me (and my colleagues) DECS can turn round and just put a random in if they are one of the (relatively few) permanent SSOs. This year we have been given a one-year contract which is heaps better. Before that, it was on an as-needed basis which totally sucked although I guess I did get more experience of working in different types of schools here.

I expect it's the same anywhere and there will be many people who have different stories to tell but for me it came down to past experience, luck...and a bit more luck lol! I would remember though that jobs as teacher's aides are pretty popular so perhaps any course which indicates you have a particular skill, even if it involves feeding, use of an epi pen etc, will make you more 'interesting' to a prospective employer.

Just my opinion but I hope it might help.

:cute: LC