Guest guest4504

Full time / Casual ..............

Guest guest4504

I have been having a look on the many Aus job sites and come across quite allot of casual positions . Had a quick google up and it seems that Australia has been tending to lean towards casual and part time work now. Does this seem to be happening in Adelaide ? If so this could twist the employed / unemployed data little. Anyway, that aside could someone tell me if casual seems to be the norm, how does this effect mortgages, car loans and so on for credit. Dont intend to lay my future life down to credit though, but I am sure most use it at some point. Piece.

Guest moonraker1959

Hi Deus,yep I've noticed this as well.Most of my friends in Adelaide work casual jobs.Good that they're in employment,on the downside it leaves them short on public holidays(depends what type of work you're in).Not sure if this applies to everyone in casual work,but they also don't get paid for taking holidays,can get laid off at any time.One of my mates is in quite a bad way actually.She works for a factory,and over Xmas did'nt have any paid employment while they shut down for 2 weeks.She went to Centrelink to see if she could claim anything and was told that as she had a job already,no payment was available to her.It happened again over Easter,and she had her electricity cut off for 3 weeks because she could'nt pay the bill.Really felt for her actually!On the plus side though if you happened to get a casual job,it might open more doors for you,you'd get an aussie reference and you'd have some money coming in.Sorry I can't help with your other enquiries but I'm sure someone on here will be able to.

Guest guest4504

Now I know why the job agency scene is big in Oz, get them only as you need them and put aside when done. A bit grim even though a job is a job. Where is the stability in that ?

Guest moonraker1959

Deus I guess there is no stability in casual employment.We both have good permanant full time jobs here with great holiday allowances/benefits,its not something I would be looking forward to should the time come that we choose to move back.Unfortunately for my friends, casual employment is all they can get(they're all aussie btw not immigrants).Casual would be fine short term,but I can't see the benefit of working casually long term.

Guest guest4504

A sign that the employment is not all rosy down under then.

have a read at this one.

http://www.favstocks.com/economic-bust-in-australianear-record-corporate-bankruptcies-employment-drops-unexpectedly-rise-in-bad-home-loansrecord-low-property-transactions-2/1357110/

...... BOOOOOOOO. Oh well. Me thinks I may end up cleaning bogs part time or something. More time to laze in sun.

Guest Guest75

I see the Casual position in two ways.

Often somebody will be started off as casual - not many claims upon the company,no holiday pay/maternity/sick pay/and super - and so on.

Once the employee has proven themselves then they are offered a permanent contract.

Normally the hourly rate drops but you pick up tons of benefits.

This is a good way................

The "other" way ( which my daughter is on) - open to abuse.

Employers who are rather tight on the purse strings (or may have to be in this economic climate). Keep staff on casual indefinitely. Very little benefits to pay out,staff can be let go at any time.

Not good .

I see two ways on this though.

Many employers have had a rough time with employees taking the mickey and taking them to court for the slightest reason. - it does make an employer edgy!

Paying the minimum rate/keeping employees in fear of their job in the hope they "perform" better.

Not the best system.:skeptical:

Guest kfoley0681

i think you will find alot of companies although i guess not all adverise casual and my husband went for an interview and was told first 3 months is casual then you get taken on full time as my husband did. but it gives them the opertunity to get rid of you if your no good i guess within the first 3 months! and then they owe you nothing!

you do get paid more per hour when you are a casual, it's supposed to make up for no holiday/sick pay, I was on $21 ph but if I was perm it would drop to $17ph. So I think you have to save for a rainy day.....