JimandBarbinAus

Uk Child Benefit & Uk Tax Credits

Hi, Laura here, I am just wondering at what point do we have to inform Inland revenue that we are emigrating to oz and how and when do they stop our benefits? We are going 01 July next year??? Thoughts greatly apreciated from people who have been through this, Thanks - Laura loo.;)

I think we told them the date we left but kept the bank account open so we could transfer the money across into dollars...just send them a letter.....thats what we did...

HG

Guest Aussie pat

Just watch them as they kept paying into our UK account even after we gave them plenty of notice. They will ask for their money back. We kept writing to them telling them what was going on and found it a real pain having to chase the issue when we were really busy setting up our new lives in Adelaide.

We have also found it painful dealing with the UK tax people as they never seem to read or reply to your correspondence.

Guest Pam777

i left UK very quickly and sent them a letter whilst at the airport! I left UK in July and they wrote to tell me that i had to repay the money I had received from that financial year (ie april to july) as i hadnt qualified due to not earning over a full year in the UK.

that was the last i heard and that was 6 yrs ago.

I told them 3 times and they still overpaid me. Told me I owed them money. I, once in Oz, told them where I was if they wanted to come and get it. Funnily I've not heard anything.....

Guest The Dimmocks

We phoned them a few months before we were due to leave, was told to ring back the day before leaving and cancel it from that date. We didnt get any more from them. Had to give tax credit people our new address as they still needed to send forms out for the year you left in, we got some money back from Tax credits at end of financial year as they had underpaid.

Guest WhatNow?
    I told them 3 times and they still overpaid me. Told me I owed them money. I, once in Oz, told them where I was if they wanted to come and get it. Funnily I've not heard anything.....

Absolutely the same thing happened to me. I wrote to them giving them the date I was leaving - they continued to pay me despite several letters asking them to stop and reminding them I was no longer a resident, then they caught up at the end of the FOLLOWING (not even the same) tax year and asked for it all back. I told them much the same as you and have heard nothing more for 18 months so I am assuming they couldn't be bothered to reclaim the tax payers money they so blithely gave away.

Guest Aussie pat
    Absolutely the same thing happened to me. I wrote to them giving them the date I was leaving - they continued to pay me despite several letters asking them to stop and reminding them I was no longer a resident, then they caught up at the end of the FOLLOWING (not even the same) tax year and asked for it all back. I told them much the same as you and have heard nothing more for 18 months so I am assuming they couldn't be bothered to reclaim the tax payers money they so blithely gave away.

We paid what we owed back as we were concerned that when the time came for our UK pensions to be paid that it may come back to bite us.