What skills do you need to get into mining work?

Guest BurgessFamily

I've known people with no experience getting jobs in the mines. Have a look at the BHP Billiton job site... http://jobs.bhpbilliton.com/jobSearch.asp?stp=AW&sLanguage=en

"We are looking for candidates at all levels, including graduate to senior and management roles; and we are offering opportunities across a range of geographic locations and commodities"

http://jobs.bhpbilliton.com/jobDetails.asp?sJobIDs=725871&lLocationID=4598&lWorkTypeID=864%2C+649%2C+637&lCategoryID=&lBrandID=&stp=AW&sLanguage=en

Guest boesman

Excellent Thread. Wanted to know the same thing for ages. I thought of driving a dump truck. Most advertisements are only engineering like jobs. I would love to know where to look for the 'lesser educated' jobs like the dump truck/digger drivers or whatever else they do there. Hope someone on here have been there and could give us a shout on here. Do they give training on the job or is it going to be a costly courses again?

Cheers!

Guest Becster19

I lived in Adelaide in 2007 whilst on a working holiday visa. For 6 months I worked for the South Australian Chamber of Mines and Energy (http://www.resourcessa.org.au). I used to take calls like this every day as everyone wants to enter the mining industry due to the wages. The jobs are very well paid but this is due to having to live in very isolated places so people tend to only work for the mines for short periods of time as it can be very hard going. If you are interested in mining positions in South Australia, check out the above website. They represent the interests of the mining companies in SA, who are listed on the website, so this would give you some companies to look into if you are interested in this kind of work. Be warned though competition for the unskilled work is fierce due to the high wages, but if you have a skill such as engineering you will be snapped up. Unfortunately as far as I know, there is not any training towards the unskilled jobs, due to the high wages, they would expect you in most cases to already hold licences etc and have experience even in the unskilled jobs.

Do check out the Sacome website though as it may really help.

Hope that this gives you a starting point.