Jllomas

Is Charles Campbell secondary school any good?

does anyone know if charles campbell secondary school or charles campbell primary is any good?

what are the catchment areas?

Thanks x

Have heard mixed reviews of the primary, but people I know who send their kids to the High School seem happy - they have a very good performing arts programme if that's something your kids might be into.

The girls' skirts seem very short though....!!!:shocked:

The people I know who have sent their kids there have been happy with it and at most state high schools they wear their skirts very short. Some have become stricter though stipulating an acceptable length. Charles campbell is one of the few state highs to have a performing arts focus in dance.

Guest Opportunities
    Have heard mixed reviews of the primary, but people I know who send their kids to the High School seem happy - they have a very good performing arts programme if that's something your kids might be into.

The girls' skirts seem very short though....!!!:shocked:

Diane,

What do you know about Reynella East College? Anything...?! Except for Woodcroft College in the nearby area, which other High Schools would you suggest.

We are looking to enrol our daugther there for 2012 in year 10, but we obviously need to stay within their catchment area and they now require a 12 month lease agreement from us, before enrolling her!!!!!

How can we secure a rental if the property agents haven't even met us and we haven't even seen the property! If we take up furnished rental for the first few weeks after arriving in Dec.2011, we might not secure a long term rental in order to enrol her either!:arghh:

Very frustrating... We plan to enrol the youngest in Reynella East Primary in year 4 in 2012.

Any comments...

Hi

I can't help with any info about Reynella East College I'm afraid as it's on the far side of town from here, so I don't know anyone whose kids go there. There are lots of people on the forum down that way though so might be worth starting a new thread asking for some views.

On your other question though, don't panic too much about enrolling your daughter in a school - or even making a final decision on a school - before you get here. If you take a short term rental when you first arrive, you can visit the school(s), chat with the Principals, get a bit of a feel for the place, and make your decision then. It will be a little bit more difficult I guess arriving in December because of holiday shutdowns, so aim to get your school visits done as early in the month as possible.

For private high schools (often called "colleges" so the two you mention may be private?) then catchment areas aren't as vital. However, if the school you choose does ask you to show evidence of a long term rental within zone, then you have something like eight weeks to find a place, which is plenty, really. I am sure the schools down there are very familiar with the situation affecting British migrants, so if you tell them that is what you are intending to do, and show them the rental agreement as soon as you've made it, I can't see it being a problem. If it is and they refuse to even consider you, would you really want your daughter to go to a school that is so unhelpful??

If all else fails and you don't find a rental place in time, then it won't hurt your daughter to miss a week or two at the beginning of term (apart from making friends etc). Perhaps if you are making a schools short list before arrival, contact the principals by email and ask for their opinion on whether they'd have space in Year 10. I have to say I've not come across many schools that are totally chockablock for Year 10 - people seem to move around schools fairly frequently here (probably because there are so many!)

The ideal thing I suppose would be to get your daughter to do a few weeks at the end of the December term to start making friends, so she doesn't spend the whole summer holidays not knowing anyone, but if that isn't possible, try to organise some meetups with others from here that have teenage daughters - I know of at least a couple who live down near Reynella who I'm sure would meet up, then your daughter would at least know some others of around her age.

Dunno if that helps, but Year 10 isn't a vital, vital year where every day's absence is disastrous - that comes in Year 11 and 12! - so try not to worry ahead of time if everything is not set in stone before your arrival!

Diane

Guest Opportunities

Thanks Diane,

I have got 2nd and 3rd choices listed and were listing schools as first priorty when we get there.I agree,if they are not helpful,I definitely won't send my child there!

I think I'm just going to sit back for a while and not break my head any further!

Karen