Guest Sahara

Glenunga International school

Guest Sahara

Hello,

I have been lurking on PIA for some time and have to say what a fantastic forum for those hoping to move to Adelaide, very informative to the newbies like me.

A brief introduction to me- I am 33 and will be moving with my OH and 2 kids aged 13(boy) and 2.5 yrs (girl)in August 11' on a 457 visa. I have a job lined up and hoping OH won't struggle too much finding one. I came to Adelaide in April for a reccie and totally loved it and very much looking forward to the big move.

My question is with regards to schooling for my son. I have looked at various state schools and private schools and really like Glenunga. I was just wondering if anybody has any experience with the school that they can share. We will have to live in the catchment area which includes, Unley, Glenunga,Mount Osmond, Glen Osmond,St.Georges, Beaumont, Glenside etc. can anybody tell me what these areas are like?

Thanks

Sahara

In short, really nice areas. Excellently located, good facilities, a really nice pub (the Leicester that I went into for the first time on Saturday!), nice shops and cafes along Unley Road. I have only heard extremely positive things about Glenunga High School - I think they do the IB (International Baccalaureate) and they also operate a programme for Gifted and Talented kids and take a certain number of those on an accelerated learning programme. My daughter has friends who go there, and they are very happy.

Don't think you'll go far wrong with any of the places you mentioned!

Diane

Guest Sahara

Thanks so much Diane for the reply. The IB program is actually of one of the big attractions to the school. Have inquired about the IGNITE program but it seems the selection is in year 7 so may be difficult for him to get in. He is currently in a grammer school so he would really benefit from being on the program but I hope the school is challenging enough even without him being on IGNITE. Thanks again for your insight..:D

Another state school in a similar sort of area worth a look at is Marryatville High School. Again you'll have to be in catchment area, and I don't think they do the IB, but it's a very well thought of school, high standards, fantastic music programme, beautiful grounds!

If you have any testing etc which shows your child's ability, then you can approach the school anyway. The Ignite at Glenunga has two streams. The fast track one which sandwiches yrs 8 and 9 into one school year and another one in which children stay in their year levels but advance in the subjects they are capable in. The school offers a wide range for all children. The primary schools which feed it are Linden Park, Burnside, Glen Osmond, Unley and Rose Park. All of these schools do the PYP part of the IB and begin the MYP in yrs 6 and 7. Children then go on to complete the MYP during yrs 8,9 and 10. It is a very multicultural school, not only because it takes International students, it is very popular with a lot of Asian and European families. The zone for Glenunga is larger than the one for Marryatville. Marryatville is also a good school with a music focus. You could also look at Adelaide High which is also rigorous in its academics, but has some sporting traditions. It is very tightly zoned as it is bursting at the seams. Really living in any of the inner south, west and east suburbs will give you access to good high schools.

Guest woolmerdj

Hi My daughet goes to GIHS and like with any school it is not just about the school but is about the right fit for the child. We rented when we first arrived in Adelaide and wanted to rent within the area for GIHS and Unley High school. Urrbrae is another school in the area but has a horticultural focus. We lived in Myrtle Bank which is near to GIHS and all the areas in the eastern suburbs are usually very good. remember a suburb can be as small as a few street. We now live in Adelaide Hills and there is a good bus route to GIHS and some of the children got into the school on a geographic basis even though it is not near the school

Good luck

Jane

Guest Sahara
    If you have any testing etc which shows your child's ability, then you can approach the school anyway. The Ignite at Glenunga has two streams. The fast track one which sandwiches yrs 8 and 9 into one school year and another one in which children stay in their year levels but advance in the subjects they are capable in. The school offers a wide range for all children. The primary schools which feed it are Linden Park, Burnside, Glen Osmond, Unley and Rose Park. All of these schools do the PYP part of the IB and begin the MYP in yrs 6 and 7. Children then go on to complete the MYP during yrs 8,9 and 10. It is a very multicultural school, not only because it takes International students, it is very popular with a lot of Asian and European families. The zone for Glenunga is larger than the one for Marryatville. Marryatville is also a good school with a music focus. You could also look at Adelaide High which is also rigorous in its academics, but has some sporting traditions. It is very tightly zoned as it is bursting at the seams. Really living in any of the inner south, west and east suburbs will give you access to good high schools.

Many thanks for this response. I thought I had posted a reply but can't see it so probably it didn't work..still new at this.. I was thinking about MarryatvilLe and Adelaide high as well but I liked Glenunga the most. Good to know the feeder school as my little girl will be starting school in a few years too. Didn't realise that state primary school offer IB early years- thats great.

Guest Sahara

Hi Jane,

Thanks. How does your daughter like GIS? I can only guess GIS is a good fit for my son based on the internet research and responses I have received here. If you dont mind my asking, what year did she join and what class was she in the UK? Does she find it challenging or easy? Sorry for the many questions but its really good to hear first hand about the school. We plan to rent in the catchment area for a while untill we learn more about the areas. Please feel free on go on and on about the school, good and bad. thanks in advance